Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What's your favorite regional food in the U.S.?

Retired Community Manager

Do you have a favorite dish/regional specialty that's served only/primarily in one part of the country? What is it and where would we find it?

Contributor

Wings.....

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Northern New Jersey: Taylor's Ham

It's called pork roll in Southern NJ

I do love a deep dish pizza!  And, of course, a great coney dog...

However, my absolute favorite is Beef and Noodles served on top of mashed potatoes from almost any Amish restaurant in northern Indiana.  Chicken works as well, but beef and freshly made egg noodles can not be beat!!

Regular Contributor

Warm cheese curds from Wisconsin with lake perch or smelt.

Contributor

Northeast ... there is no way you could get them all ie: you can get great oysters from Maine to Fla.

But in Pennsylvania the "Shoofly Pie" was what Grandma named "shoo" the kids away as we 

gathered like "flies" waiting for a piece !!!!  

Periodic Contributor

Fried clams. Whole clams with the bellies, not clam strips! A northern New England specialty. 

Kudos
Views

I'll agree with whole clams with the bellies, except for the Essex clams from Cape Ann. Their bellies are full of black Essex River mud, which I do not find tasty at all. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Periodic Contributor

There are so many that were omitted. From the south: pecan pie..North Carolina barbeque is unique, spicy pulled pork topped with Cole slaw served on a bun.  The upper Midwest has that canned fruit salad made with mini marshmallows and mayonnaise. The variation includes shredded coconut. Itโ€™s horrible if you didnโ€™t grow up with it, but itโ€™s certainly iconic, and served at every pot luck and church social youโ€™ll ever attend.

California is a large state. An obvious example of the variations would be the food from Chinatown in San Francisco and the food from Chinatown in Los Angeles. The names on the menu and the basic ingredients may be the same, but the preparation and taste is very different.  

The Mexican influence on food is shown in the cuisine in southern CA, yet you havenโ€™t shown anything from that genre. Same with New Mexico where the local cuisine is heavily influenced by the indigenous peoples' food traditions and flavors there. 

I guess it comes down to nearly nearly every place having more than one special thing...cheese curds from Wisconsin, maple syrup from Vermont, New Orleans has Beignets, pralines, and jambalaya just to name the most obvious, 

Arizona should be Enchilada

New Jersey should be Hoagie

New Mexico should have a Green Hatch Chili in it

Washington should be Salmon

A semi retired National Executive Chef

I'll have to second the shoo fly pie vote, but do you prefer 'wet bottom' or 'dry bottom'?

Contributor

Boudin Balls!!  Usually from Louisiana. They are like zatarans dirty rice mixed with pork, rolled into a ball the size of a meatball.  They are then rolled in corn meal and deep fried. Soooo yummy

Periodic Contributor

Pasteles from Puerto Rico.

โ€œIf you donโ€™t like the position of the moon, go up and change it!โ€ -African Proverb
Contributor

Since I am from the South, it is the food of the South.  If you are ever driving through the middle of Mississippi down Hwy. 49 south, a few miles out of Jackson, Mississippi near the town of Florence, is a restaurant in a big white dome called Jerry's Catfish House.  It is outstanding.  The fried catfish cannot be beat.  The side dishes are also excellent and tasty.  Hushpuppies, turnip greens, fried dill pickles, french fires, sweet potato, onion rings, gumbo, cole slaw.  You won't be disappointed.  Jean Roberts

Kudos
Views
Contributor

In the south blueberry and/or peach and/or blackberry cobbler. #1 is blackberry cobbler, however I live raspberries

Contributor

You can't forget to mention a pork roll, (taylor ham), egg and cheese sandwich on a hard (Kaiser) roll.

With a slice of raw onion it is a breakfast favorite.

Especially on the boardwalk in Ocean City. ๐Ÿ™‚
Social Butterfly

Tony Packoโ€™s in Toledo, Ohio has been serving authentic Hungarian food since 1932. Jamie Farr who played โ€œMaxwell Klingerโ€ in the TV series M*A*S*H gave Tony Packoโ€™s Cafe worldwide fame when he often boasted and craved about Packoโ€™s having the greatest Hungarian hot dogs. They are made from a special recipe using a flavorful Hungarian sausage and they are delicious.

At the other end of the state in Cincinnati, Ohio is home to Skyline Chili. It was founded by Nicholas Lambrinides a Greek immigrant in 1949. Skyline chili is not like your typical chili con carne. It is usually served over spaghetti with a unique appealing secret sauce that I think has a hint of cinnamon added to it. You can top it with cheese or onions. Delicious!

Contributor

ANY MEAL in NEW YORK city.

Go into a Pub anywhere in the city.  It is the best "pub food" in the country.

Go into a Chinese resturant in the city.  It will give you the best, chinese, you ever had.  Ditto every ethnic category, Italian, ( Mama Leone's), Greek, ( any resturant named Zorba's),  Ethiopian,  Mexican, you name it.

It is all created by people from the source country, who use the freshest ingrediants avaliable in the world.

I Love "NewYork" FOOD. 

Sincerely Glenn D Anderson

Who lives close enough to the city to appreciate the gift.

Periodic Contributor

Jersey tomatoes. There's nothing quite like them anywhere in the country. 

Periodic Contributor

New York pizza for sure. No where else makes it as well except Italy and ours is so different from theirs. 

Retired Community Manager

@MaryW296161 Gotta admit--I'm a Chicago deep-dish pizza fan. I love NYC, but for pizza--Chicago's the yummiest.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Iโ€™m with you for a deep dish if that is the craving, and you are right Chicago is it. We used to drive up to Chicago on weekends for pizza and a baseball game.

Contributor

I would have to say one of my favorite regional foods are Philadelphia Steak and Cheese sandwiches. Although you can purchase them in other locations, they often taste the best from the City of Brotherly Love. A close runner up would be Maryland blue crabs!
Contributor

I visited New Orleans in the springtime. If you are ever in the Big Easy, be sure to try a Beignet. Yum!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP