Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia cost more than just using Expedia

Contributor

AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia cost more than just using Expedia

I searched the same flights for the same days on the AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia and on Expedia directly and I was surprised that the AARP version of Expedia cost more money to book the flights than just using Expedia directly. I thought it was supposed to give us a discount not cost more. What gives?

I had the same experience both a local flight and foreign country flight. AARP lists this feature as a "Benefit" but it's not and misleading to include it as such. Instead, the AARP site should have a direct link to Expedia and not an AARP link to travel through Expedia which takes extra money out of AARP members for purchasing the same thing directly through Expedia. The real reason for doing that, follow the money trail.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi @WilliamR19980, members do not get discounts on flights booked through Expedia as AARP members only get discounts with companies who have a contract with AARP. The AARP Travel Center allows members to book with AARP providers as well as non-AARP providers just like the regular Expedia website. This is to provide members with the ability to comparison shop. However, AARP does partner with British Airways to provide flight discounts. With British Airways, AARP members save $65 off World Traveler (economy) and World Traveler Plus (premium economy) or $200 off Club World (business class) fares when you purchase round-trip transatlantic tickets on the British Airways website.

To see the full list of providers who offer discounts and benefits to AARP members, visit the Member Benefits page: https://www.aarp.org/MemberBenefits.

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

Hi @MisterRickH, AARP members do not get discounts on flights booked through Expedia as AARP members only get discounts with companies who have a contract with AARP. The AARP Travel Center allows members to book with AARP providers as well as non-AARP providers just like the regular Expedia website. This is to provide members with the ability to comparison shop. AARP does however, partner with British Airways to provide flight discounts. With British Airways, AARP members save $65 off World Traveller (economy) and World Traveller Plus (premium economy) or $200 off Club World (business class) fares when you purchase round-trip transatlantic tickets on the British Airways website.

To see the full list of providers who offer discounts and benefits to AARP members, visit the Member Benefits page: https://www.aarp.org/MemberBenefits. When viewing the page, click on the name of the benefit (like Avis/Budget under the Rental Car section, for example) to learn more about what is included and to get started with using the benefit and/or discount. If a company is not listed on the AARP Member Benefits page, then they do not have a partnership with AARP. I hope this helps to clarify!

PREVIEW

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP