Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

I resolved The Hartford insurance rate increase and saved $$$

Regular Contributor

I resolved The Hartford insurance rate increase and saved $$$

Here's how I successfully resolved the interrelated problem with The Hartford raising the insurance premium dramatically for my auto insurance even though I have an excellent driving history, and AARP acting helpless to leverage the matter with its business partner (i.e., The Hartford) ...

1. I recently dropped The Hartford at renewal time in favor of a different carrier (Progressive) and, in the process, save substantial money.

1. I subsequently called AARP and cancelled my membership and will be receiving a prorated refund of my five-year membership payment (more savings for me). If more people took this approach and there was a decrease in membership, perhaps AARP leadership would redirect its energies to be more member centric?

It seems that AARP has lost its way helping members in favor of income from royalties paid by business partnerships. 

Regular Contributor

American Family increased my rates by 50%, even though I have an excellent driving record.  Progressive gave me a rate lower than my former premium.  Maybe insurers think that old people are too reluctant to change.  I did this all online. 

Regular Contributor

I suspect The Hartford may be relying on existing customers to not do as you’ve done - by shopping around and benefiting from doing so!

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@DrummerCT1 I'm terribly sorry to hear that the Hartford did not work out for you. I'm disappointed to learn that we've lost your support as well. I hope that you reconsider and decide to give us another try. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything in the future.  - Janelle M.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@AARPConsumerCare 

Rather than spending energy on expressing regret to me (it rings hollow and pro forma), perhaps redirect your actions and energy toward leveraging AARP’s relationship with The Hartford to unwind its rate increases. And to bring on board other insurance business “partners” who provide better offerings at much more competitive rates. There’s no law prohibiting you having additional companies than The Hartford. I won’t be rejoining AARP unless and until it puts members’ concerns above inflated royalty revenue. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@VintageDrummer wrote

“There’s no law prohibiting you having additional companies than The Hartford.”

================

Right, there is no law but most likely there is a contract for the agreement.

The Hartford News Release 06/20/2020 - The Hartford And AARP Agree To Extend Auto And Home Insurance... 

from the link ~

HARTFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Hartford announced an extension of its long-standing auto and home insurance program for AARP members until Jan. 1, 2033. The Hartford’s program has been endorsed by AARP for 35 years. It launched in 1984 and since then has developed into a leading affinity program.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@GailL1  I know what I said and that’s why I stated it the way I did. My hunch is that there’s likely a way AARP can either remove The Hartford as a partner and/or bring on additional insurance product partners. I already knew about the extension The Hartford obtained. If AARP signed away such contractual rights regardless of The Hartford’s actions they should perhaps consider getting better legal representation.

In any event, (1) AARP hasn’t provided info to members about how partner exclusivity (if exists) works nor (2) shared anything else on the matter other than customer service reps piping up to express sorrow and/or to try and convince complaining members to share info privately with them about their insurance experience (as if the reps don’t already know about the exorbitant rate increases). 

Honored Social Butterfly

@VintageDrummer 

The AARP profit-making arm of the organization in charge of setting up all the deals is 

AARP Services, Inc.

This tells you all about them - what they do and why [kinda] - it also gives a linked contact for companies that would like to do branded or otherwise business with the over 50 crowd.  

So how do they pick them?  

No, I don’t see the org. having more than one insurer for the same type coverage 

AARP Member Benefits - Insurance classification 

I don’t have any of these [AARP branded] insurance carriers - but I do know that all insurance property coverage has gone up this year.  Mine did too, but I understood why and took some action to lower my premiums by accepting more of the risk.  I also removed coverage that I didn’t need.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@GailL1 
My high-level takeaway is that parts of AARP seem to have lost their way in pursuit of profits instead of bolstering solid member benefits.  

One of the things I’m wondering about is if AARP or subsidiary functions bring in revenue based on a flat rate fee to use the AARP branding endorsement imprimatur and/or if they earn more revenue to the effect of royalties being paid are a straight percentage of, e.g., auto insurance premiums or other metrics. In other words, in the latter instance, the more members pay to a partner insurance company the more money that flows into AARP? There’s not sufficient and easily available transparency of what they’re doing for me to want to remain a member.

By the way, I’m not saying there’s no benefits from being an AARP member. I am raising questions about the partner relationship with The Hartford and how that relationship is being managed to maximize value for AARP members. 

I called The Hartford to compare car insurance to what I pay at StateFarm, I am staying where I am. The Hartford was almost double for the same coverage.

Regular Contributor

@DebLup610  I’m glad to hear this - that you’re able to get a much better deal from State Farm. 

@DebLup610 wrote:

I called The Hartford to compare car insurance to what I pay at StateFarm, I am staying where I am. The Hartford was almost double for the same coverage.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP