Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What if I die before I’m 62 , would my wife receive my social security ?

What if I die before I’m 62 , would my wife receive my social security ?

Good Morning , 

If I would die before I’m 62 , would my wife receive my social security ? ( I’m 59 now ) . If so , what percentage would she receive ? 

Thanks so much . 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@RobS189530 wrote:

If I would die before I’m 62 , would my wife receive my social security ? ( I’m 59 now ) . If so , what percentage would she receive ? 

As long as all the marriage qualifiers are met - Yes, as your survivor, she would get the benefit to which you were entitled at Full Retirement Age (FRA) if it is greater than her own when she files for it.  Sometimes it is a blend of the benefits to which she is entitled which still will equal the greater benefit of the two.

As to how much she will get percentage-wise, that will depend on her age when she files for her benefit - She can file as young as 60 (even lesser if there is a dependent child or disabled child or at 50 she is disabled).  She can file at 62 - but both of these younger than her FRA will reduce the benefit.  She can get 100% if she waits until her FRA.  

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

• Widow or widower, FRA or older — 100% of the deceased worker's benefit amount.
  • Widow or widower, age 60 to FRA - 71½ to 99% of the deceased worker's basic amount.
  • Widow or widower with a disability aged 50 through 59 — 71½%.
  • Widow or widower, any age, caring for a child under age 16 — 75%.

There are other things to consider also - like if the survivor is going to continue to work after beginning benefits and are less than FRA - 

SSA.gov - If You Are The Survivor

AARP.org - updated 04/07/2022 - If My Spouse Dies, Can I Collect Their Social Security Benefits?

SSA.gov -Social Security Benefit Reduction % by Birth Year

Reduction applied to primary insurance amount.   The percentage reduction is 5/9 of 1% per month for the first 36 months and 5/12 of 1% for each additional month.

,NOTE:  as the "Survivor" - use the Primary benefit column NOT the Spousal Column.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP