Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Paying Medicare Premium Twice at Start of Social Security

Contributor

Paying Medicare Premium Twice at Start of Social Security

I started Medicare at age 65. I waited to take Social Security until my Full Retirement age. I am required to paid quarterly payments for the Medicare Premium, (this before reaching Full Retirement age). My Notice of Award for my Social Security Benefit shows that Medicare Premiums will be automatically deducted from each month's benefit payment.

The problem is I will be paying the Medicare Premium twice for the month of May. After that, no problem and I want the automatic deduction. My Social Security Benefit starts in May. The Notice of Award clearly itemizes the deduction of the Medicare Premium for this first benefit payment. However, my last quarterly payment for the Medicare Premium includes the premium for May. Thus, I'm paying twice.

How do I fix this? Calling my local Social Security office is met with the sound of crickets chirping. Is there a way to fix this from within my online social security account? Or, will this get corrected automatically? If it is expected to be fixed automatically, how long does that take? Or, do I have to file a claim of some type?

It seems this must occur a fair amount since Medicare typically starts well before Full Retirement. I can't find it at the government sites. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

Yes, it does occur and then it takes awhile for the amount that was overpaid to be reconciled.

Remember that

• Medicare Part B premiums are paid for the month of service in which they are due. 
  • But SSA benefits are paid (1) month in arrears - 

So my question to you is - will your SSA benefit be paid in May - which will be the April SSA benefit. (probably not)     OR will the SSA benefit be paid in June - which will be the May benefit?

If the SSA benefit is for the month of May (paid in June) then the Part B premium that is being deducted would be for June, not May.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna

View solution in original post

Periodic Contributor

So - in my case:  I paid medicare for Feb/Mar/Apr.  My SS starts in Feb - paid in March.  If I follow the previous responses, I would expect to eventually get a refund from Medicare for March and April. Could someone please confirm - or have I missed the point?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Yes, it does occur and then it takes awhile for the amount that was overpaid to be reconciled.

Remember that

• Medicare Part B premiums are paid for the month of service in which they are due. 
  • But SSA benefits are paid (1) month in arrears - 

So my question to you is - will your SSA benefit be paid in May - which will be the April SSA benefit. (probably not)     OR will the SSA benefit be paid in June - which will be the May benefit?

If the SSA benefit is for the month of May (paid in June) then the Part B premium that is being deducted would be for June, not May.

Contributor

Yes, the SSA payment is in June, (for my first benefit month of May). So I have no double payment for May. The SSA payment received in June will include the Medicare premium for June's coverage.

Thank you very much for your quick response and help.

Gilda Radner was awesome. I found her Emily Litella to be as hilarious as her Roseanne Roseannadanna. Oh, that's different. Nevermind. ๐Ÿ˜‰

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Carol9956 wrote

Yes, the SSA payment is in June, (for my first benefit month of May). So I have no double payment for May. The SSA payment received in June will include the Medicare premium for June's coverage.

Now you have it - Happy Retirement.

Contributor

Again, I am sorry to ask this of you on an older post, but I am in the same situation and need more clarification.  I'm not sure why it's so confusing for me but I think it's because of how the Social Security payments are paid as opposed to how Medicare is paid.   I made my 4th quarter Medicare premium for October, November, and December.  This was an overpayment as I will start receiving SS benefits for October, which will be paid in November.  I DID received my refund check but it was only refunded for 2 months.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

UHHH.  I think I may have figured it out... so... my October Medicare payment, I paid. The October Social Security check will take out Medicare but that will be applied to November, medicare (not October) thus... only 2 months of refund is for November and December.   Ugh.. I need more coffee.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

PamelaM - I posted my version of your question (slightly different timing, but I am hoping someone replies - as I will be scratching my head until I see the refund.  LOL)

0 Kudos
Contributor

Did you get an answer back yet?  It was hard for me to figure out too.  But, many answers on this thread helped me โ€œcomprehendโ€ it.  LOL  If you scroll through them, I think it will start to sink in.  Look at  @GailL1 answer, she explained it for me, the best way!  I was refunded for 2 months.  The โ€œcatchโ€ was you are dealing with 2 different agencies that 2 different schedules.  I did get my refund quicker than I thought I would, too.  Good luck to you! 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes - I think I am all set.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Yes, thatโ€™s right BUT YOU ONLY HAVE A REFUND for Part B premiums for November and December AFTER they have been deducted from your SS benefit.  

You cannot ask for a refund until all of the deductions have been made to your SS benefit because up to then - you havenโ€™t actually paid twice - Government works in real time not what is planned to be.

COMPRENDO???

Two different benefits - two different agencies - two differ timing schedules - Your refund will take awhile because of this too.

OH, If only I were in charge !!??  But Iโ€™m too old for that now!

Good Luck.

Contributor

Amazing SSA personal story:  applied for SS FRA benefits 10 Dec 2023 anticipating 3 month processing delay.  First payment received via direct deposit 29 Dec, NINE DAYS!!  Paid Medicare premiums 20 Dec for first quarter 2024, got refund from SS today for two excess payments.  No explanation, just simple arithmetic that SS/Medicare figured without me asking.  Amazing!

Contributor

WOW Congratulations!   That is Amazing....I applied for my Social Security as well, I PRAY it goes quickly!  My app is straight forward no complications! God Knows I need those Social Security Payments in the Worst way now.  I ended up my FRA month is this June however I just can't wait any longer, I requested March 2024 and I'll praying they are here by April 2024. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@JimT57 

Awesome Jim!

thanks for relaying this. Itโ€™s great to hear when things go smoothly.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Based on this logic (with which I agree), shouldn't everyone get a refund of 1 month Medicare payment for the month they die???

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP