Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Using Mother's bank account. Can this effect her disability income?

Using Mother's bank account. Can this effect her disability income?

My Mother receives Social Security SSI money. If she has or makes too much money, they will start restricting her benefits. I'm in a position where I need to utilize her bank account, and move about $2,000 dollars a month through her account. She's afraid they will see this money and think it is hers and start taking some of her money.

Is there any form we can fill out, or anything we can do proactively to let the IRS or Social Security Administration know that this is my money and not hers? I don't want to negatively effect her income, but I'm unable to open my own bank account for the foreseeable future due to personal reasons.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

@JayW699861 

A Representative Payee is someone or some entity that the Social Security Adm. appoints to handle the SSI funds for your mother - they pay her bills and take an oath to do this.  There are government reports that have to be done to  attest to thiese actions.  It does not give you the right to use her funds or her bank account for the self-purpose you mentioned.

You wouldn’t be allowed to be a RP if you yourself cannot open a bank account.

You said that you needed to transfer the money you earn by these side gigs to someplace else - YOU cannot keep these monies in her account - it will trigger an audit because SSA (Social Security Admin.) monitors these accounts - the bank reports the balance to the SSA every month in these SSI accounts to make sure it stays under that $2000 limit.

Your mother cannot open another account for your purpose either because it will be registered under her SS number and therefore will still be linked to her SSI payment.  It would be different if she were on SSDi (Social Security Disability Insurance) - the earned benefit -because there is NO income / asset/ resource threshold for SSDI - but SSI is different since it is need based - i.e. welfare for the disabled / elderly. 

The only reason I can think of as to why there are legal difficulties for you is you are trying to hide something from someone.  Don’t drag your mother into it - II I am wrong I ‘m sorry, but there has to be another way than to threaten her only income.  And that is what you would be doing.

When you put in her account where you cannot be her signatory or a joint owner then the money is hers - and she will reap any repercussions from having it her account.

Do it some other way - it cost nothing to anybody nor does it jeopardize  her and her SSI benefit to just bury it in the backyard in a coffee can.

Where you remember where it is, of course.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna

View solution in original post

Honored Social Butterfly

@JayW699861 

You give little details on the origin of the money and why it is being moved or actually even who’s money it is - your mother’s or yours.

You are treading on very dangerous grounds - the Social Security Administration monitors the bank account of SSI beneficiaries so that the $ 2000 limit is not broken and they will suspend the benefits until the matter is cleared up to their satisfaction.

Are you your mother’s Representative Payee as appointed by the Social Security Administration?  If not then mixing of different individual funds is also dangerous as to whose funds they really are.

Some links for you - 

SSA.gov - Supplemental Security Income Topics and Info Look up  

Links at the bottom of the page - look up for any topic is just a click away.

SSA.gov- SSI Spotlight on Financial Institution Accounts

NOTE:  any money put into the account of a SSI beneficiary is deemed to be their money.

SSA.gov - Understanding Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Representative Payee Program

For more answers you can go to, and ask after you log in - on the Reddit site. They talk about all of the programs that the Social Security Administration works on - all the Social Security programs and the Supplemental Security Income program - so make it clear under which program you are asking about cause that does make a difference in the rules especially for SSI beneficiaries.  SSI is a welfare program for the disabled or the elderly who don’t qualify for a Social Security Benefit or not enough of one (since it is based on work history) to  get a minimal benefit.

Reddit.com - Social Security 

Personally, I wouldn’t do it 

@GailL1 

Thanks for the quick reply! It's my money. I get it from doing side jobs, but I have to get some legal issues straightened out before I can open my own bank account and handle all my affairs myself.

You mention being my Mother's Representative Payee. Is this what I need to do in order to be able to share an account with her without hurting her SSI?

I will look into the link you sent as well.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@JayW699861 

A Representative Payee is someone or some entity that the Social Security Adm. appoints to handle the SSI funds for your mother - they pay her bills and take an oath to do this.  There are government reports that have to be done to  attest to thiese actions.  It does not give you the right to use her funds or her bank account for the self-purpose you mentioned.

You wouldn’t be allowed to be a RP if you yourself cannot open a bank account.

You said that you needed to transfer the money you earn by these side gigs to someplace else - YOU cannot keep these monies in her account - it will trigger an audit because SSA (Social Security Admin.) monitors these accounts - the bank reports the balance to the SSA every month in these SSI accounts to make sure it stays under that $2000 limit.

Your mother cannot open another account for your purpose either because it will be registered under her SS number and therefore will still be linked to her SSI payment.  It would be different if she were on SSDi (Social Security Disability Insurance) - the earned benefit -because there is NO income / asset/ resource threshold for SSDI - but SSI is different since it is need based - i.e. welfare for the disabled / elderly. 

The only reason I can think of as to why there are legal difficulties for you is you are trying to hide something from someone.  Don’t drag your mother into it - II I am wrong I ‘m sorry, but there has to be another way than to threaten her only income.  And that is what you would be doing.

When you put in her account where you cannot be her signatory or a joint owner then the money is hers - and she will reap any repercussions from having it her account.

Do it some other way - it cost nothing to anybody nor does it jeopardize  her and her SSI benefit to just bury it in the backyard in a coffee can.

Where you remember where it is, of course.

@GailL1 

Thanks for such a clear and thorough answer. I'm not trying to hide anything, it's just convenient to use her account rather than deal in cash with people. The situation is personal, as I stated, so I'd rather not disclose all the details. But I absolutely agree and I do not want to jeopardize her income in any way, which is why I'm here and I appreciate your input regarding all this.

I only have one question based on your answer. If the balance never exceeds $2000 in her account, but the transactions do exceed $2000, is that okay, or will that still cause her to be flagged? You mentioned it being a $2000 limit, and I was wondering if that limit refers to the balance or the total amount transacted.

Thanks again

Honored Social Butterfly

@JayW699861 

The balance - but if it goes over that limit just once then SSA will generate a questionnaire and then it takes sending copies of bank statement to clear it up with SSA.

A Question for you”. if you are thinking about putting your money into her account and then transferring it out - why not go the direct route to where your money is going in the 1st place.

It cannot look like she is giving you the money because that will jeopardize another of her benefits - MEDICAID.  

It ALL has consequences and you are putting her benefits in harms way - I hope I have made that very clear.

0 Kudos

Ok, sounds like I'll have to figure something else out. Thank you, I couldn't find a clear answer worded for the layman anywhere.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

AARP Memorial Day Membership Sale

More From AARP