From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 81 of 320

DD, you're listening to incorrect information. The only person who can collect s/s benefits without paying in is a spouse who was married ten years or longer. They are allowed to collect 50% of their spouse's benefits, while that spouse collects 100%. No one who has not worked at least ten years and has at least 40 credits is drawing social security. It's a myth perpetutated by the far fringes of one party and it's only meant to bring in votes and enrage people.

The age limit is not climbing at this point. The revamping was done by President Reagan in 1983 and the age hasn't increased since that time. He set the birth years and the time we'd be eligible for full retirement benefits. That should be enough info if you'd like to do research on his entire restructuring of s/s. He also added in that at certain income levels, 50% would be taxed and at a higher income level, 85% would be taxed. None of this has changed since 1983.

DD, you're correct on the candidates who want to eliminate both programs. There are others and they all belong to the same party. Let's all choose carefully when we vote so we aren't voting against our own best interests. Keep in mind which party started Social Security and Medicare and which party is trying to abolish it. Stop listening to what you hear at the coffee shop or on certain news channels. Do your own research and listen to the speeches of the candidates, go to their websites to see what their plans for our generation are.

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 320

@GetRealQuick wrote:
GOP Front runner Cain's 999 plan calls for abolishing Social Security and Medicare (New York Times, 11/13/11). Perry has called SS a ponzi scheme and unlawful. The GOP is against SS and Medicare by principle and would love to abolish/privatize them, as soon as they get in power, whether it be 2012, 2016, 2020, etc. And I don't believe their promises of not affecting those currently 50 or greater. They have a proven record of flip flopping and it is often a part of their plan. SO this issue is not going away; it is dangerous for us, and is dangerous for future generations.

Should they get elected and abolish/privatize Social Security and Medicare, it will be a stupendous, catastrophic, disaster for the 10s of millions of poor and disabled elderly. Their only choice will be to wheel themselves out to th the trashcan and wait to die. This is the GOP plan for America in the 21st century, whether we like it or not. The day they get the power will be the day they begin their dismantling project.

What is out only rational response? Is it to wheel ourselves out to the trashcan to die in misery? Of course not! We must therefore demand the Right To Die via a $99.00 Death Drug (we don't want any ahandouts). This is our only rational response because this "Dead Deal", the opposite of the New Deal, of the GOP is coming and nobody can stop it. Therefore we must do the only rational thing and demand the Right to Die. This is the unavoidable future of America.

@GetRealQuick wrote:
GOP Front runner Cain's 999 plan calls for abolishing Social Security and Medicare (New York Times, 11/13/11). Perry has called SS a ponzi scheme and unlawful. The GOP is against SS and Medicare by principle and would love to abolish/privatize them, as soon as they get in power, whether it be 2012, 2016, 2020, etc. And I don't believe their promises of not affecting those currently 50 or greater. They have a proven record of flip flopping and it is often a part of their plan. SO this issue is not going away; it is dangerous for us, and is dangerous for future generations.

Should they get elected and abolish/privatize Social Security and Medicare, it will be a stupendous, catastrophic, disaster for the 10s of millions of poor and disabled elderly. Their only choice will be to wheel themselves out to th the trashcan and wait to die. This is the GOP plan for America in the 21st century, whether we like it or not. The day they get the power will be the day they begin their dismantling project.

What is out only rational response? Is it to wheel ourselves out to the trashcan to die in misery? Of course not! We must therefore demand the Right To Die via a $99.00 Death Drug (we don't want any ahandouts). This is our only rational response because this "Dead Deal", the opposite of the New Deal, of the GOP is coming and nobody can stop it. Therefore we must do the only rational thing and demand the Right to Die. This is the unavoidable future of America.

I feel people coming to this country from where ever, should NOT be allowed to collect social security benifits. Most imigrants have never put anything into the system, but are allowed to collect off of the hard working people as myself, who is now being told i have to work years longer to collect. I have worked for over 40 years now , and the age limit continues to climb upward , so we can continue to pay for unwanted outsiders to come and be allowed by the law to collect.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 320

I feel people coming to this country from where ever, should NOT be allowed to collect social security benifits. Most imigrants have never put anything into the system, but are allowed to collect off of the hard working people as myself, who is now being told i have to work years longer to collect. I have worked for over 40 years now , and the age limit continues to climb upward , so we can continue to pay for unwanted outsiders to come and be allowed by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT to benifit. Awlful 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 84 of 320
The scare tactics of big corp America and the congressman in their pockets are a way of trying to cut our SS. How about cutting our the subsidies and freebies that they receive? Social Security has some spare funds, remember the huge amounts of money that was BURROWED from SS, it has not been repaid yet! We are old not ignorant speak up.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re:Divorced Spouse's Share of Social Security

Message 85 of 320

I am divorced after a 40-yer marriage and have not remarried. I only receive $600 per month Social Security. My ex-spouse's social security payments are lower than mine because he quit working. Is there any way I can receive a portion of his Social Security to add to mine? 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 320
Will they provide that information for an individual based on their situation?
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 320

@ag33003889 - If you asked someone at SSA, would they be able to generate a detailed comparison of how much you'd collect by age 80, 90, etc., based on different scenarios for when you began collecting? Telling someone that doing X would only result in "a very small increase" is vague; I'd want to know the numbers!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 320

In your text you point out that delaying receiving social security benefits will mean an increase of 8% per each year that you delay.  The SSA told me that that is only the case if you continue to work and contribute.  I never see this important detail mentioned in articles on this topic and have to conclude that without mentioning this condition, an article is going to be misleading. 

I was misled because I intended to delay taking the benefit but live on my own resources for a few years.  But the SSA told me that such waiting would result in a very small increase in benefits and that I may as well start taking my social security immediately on reaching 'Full Retirement Age' (66 in my case).

Any comments?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 320
I read there is not going to be a cost of living raise this year ( hope I am wrong) rent went up. Grogery went up and most likely everything will follow. What I read was they feel that inflation did not go up much in the past year, which I feel is a bunch of crock. Seniors in this country are very lucky to be able to buy food We know how to handle our money., but really. Such a shame I will just go with the flow and hope for the best
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 320

While George W. Bush was in office, he borrowed !.37 Trillion from Socialy Security, to cover a tax break for the rich.  The money has not been paid back.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors