Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

I am 62 and exhusband is 54

Message 121 of 320

I never see anything written about this dilemma.  I will be 63 in July and my exhusband will be 55 in June.  Because he is so much younger than me I guess this means I can't collect my 50% from him until I'm 75?  I want to wait until I am 70 to collect my own but don't know if that is possible since the job I have right now is very shakey.  If I was to lose my  job now there is no way I can collect now at 63.  I would have to do temporary work or something.  I would only get enough SS to make my $800/mo. house payment.  If I have to collect at 66 it is going to be very rough for me and I still can't collect anything from my ex.  I have very little savings and am unable to save now.  Is there any way out of this dilemma?  I do plan to file for SS when I am 66 and then suspend it....if I can and am not out of work.  Things look very dim for me and it doesn't seem right that I have to wait until I am 75 to collect from my ex (if his 50% is enough....he makes a lot more than I ever did).

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 122 of 320

Living on SSDI now for 10 years,which is the only source of income.To get any other help from any other programs is a joke,They put the minimum income at such a level that their is no way one can receive extra help.Would like to see washington live on what they send us monthly and see what they think then.No raise for 3 years,they say cost of living did not go up.I beg to differ.Groceries are alot higher,insurance higher,medical copays are higher this year.what gives Washington!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 123 of 320

@ma41669535 wrote:

".....Last year, I wrote to as many people in Congress and to the Department of Labor about age discrimination and never even had the courtesy of a reply.  That shows how much they care: not at all....".

This is an ongoing discussion that cannot be settled. The bottom line is that it's near impossible to prove that you are discriminated against because of age. There already are laws in place, but again, not able to use those laws 99.9% of the time as you have no proof. The feds can't do any more. You are being discriminated against by people responsible for hiring.  Hiring is always 'discriminatory'. Studies have shown people are hired, or not, based on dress, facial hair, weight, height, etc. You don't know if they don't like your looks, dress, demeanor, how you speak, how they perceive your attitude.  Government cannot help in this one-on-one type of situation that occurs everywhere, every day.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 124 of 320

I'll vote for Bernie Sanders no matter what, since he is the only person running for national office who is discussing what used to be Democratic issues.  There is no point pointing blame at Obama - campaign finance laws make it impossible for anything to change as long as corporations are footing the bill for who gets to be in office.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 125 of 320

We could start a lawsuit, but will be dead if it ever gets settled.  After all, we're suiing law firms and the governments that want the business.  I have been a legal secretary for over 14 years (couldn't find anything this past year) and watched my earnings decline drastically over the past 3-4 years, so I gave up!

It makes more sense to find something else to do.  It would surprise me if anyone in Washington will lift a finger to help.

Last year, I wrote to as many people in Congress and to the Department of Labor about age discrimination and never even had the courtesy of a reply.  That shows how much they care: not at all.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 126 of 320

I have been unable to find work other than $8-9/hour jobs - more if temp with no benefits - for over a year.  I'm on something calls Old Age Pension that pays $771 per month, of which $600 per month goes to rent and utilities (not including the phone - no cable), leaving me $171 to pay for phone, car insurance, medical co-pays and everything else.  I receive $117/month for food stamps.

I have been working since I was 17 years old to support myself except the years I worked in the home for which I have zeros on my social security statement.  I was injured in a fall in December 2014 and am just able to work again, although there have been no follow ups on 99% of the jobs I have applied for or if I've been interviewed and tested by an agency, I rarely hear back from them.

Retiring at 70 is not an option.  I am hoping to keep my head above water until August when I can start early retirement at 62 and afford to be able to take a part time, low wage job and purchase health insurance through AARP, although I won't be able to afford much (whatever I can afford can't be worse than Medicaid - another discussion altogether).

I think it is a luxury to be able to retire at 70 given the current state of the economy.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 127 of 320
My concern is the next generation and whether or not my children and grandchildren will be able to sustain SS benefits
while the costs will be substantially more expensive.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 128 of 320

It's a very bad system, over the next 2 generations it should be gradually ended. Every 5 years you should be able to roll your 401k into an annunity, You pick your own retirement age, and have a life insurane policy for your family, some people will not need this, or have to pay for it. What pisses me off the most is I cannot use a stop loss on the funds in my company 401k. If The market crashes when I'm a few years from retiring, I want a stop loss on my money. I can do it in an IRA, I can do it in a Roth, 401K's (mutual funds) are already milking the crap of you, yet you can't set a stop loss. Wall street people are just stealing money, which for some reason is leagle, I can't buy gold in my 401K, that's not availible, untill they know it's about to crash again.All polititions have been so bought and sold over so many years. That's what it took to make SSI and the 401K in the first place, We are all really screwed. I'm thinking for young people they should forget the company match and just do a Roth. I wish that's what I should have done, 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 129 of 320

I'm happy with SS.I have been drawing it for (10) ten years.However,I served in the militiary and as such was able to receive the G.I. bill for education expenses.Even though it took me some (12) twelve years of night school the rewards were worth the efforts expended.To have laid back and 'planned' a retirement on SS alone,would have been,and is foolish.Get off of your behind and take advantage of al of the emense opportunities that this great country offers!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 130 of 320

For lc795...

Right on!!! Of those of us that have worked all or lives and had money confiscated from our checks by our "representative" government it's a slap in the face. That money in our "accounts" is OURS!! I want it ALL back. I don't want it given to people who haven't earned it. Get that money from somewhere else.

Kudos
Views