Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 161 of 326

I just saw an Associated Press article today regarding Nazi and SS that relocated to this country and how much they collected in Social Security and being promised they could keep their benefits if they would leave??

I certainly do not want  to offend anyone.

I'm including the link.... am I reading this right ? Is this outrageous when our benefits are constantly threatened ?

http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBa86Z2?a=1&m=en-us

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 162 of 326
kayleerae wrote
I began receiving Social Security at 65. I have since been deemed completely and permanently disabled due to several medical problems the worst of which is degenerative disc disease in my spine. I would like to have my status changed to show I am disabled. Why am I being told that is impossible as you have only one opportunity to declare this and that is when you first sign up? Caroline Miller
==================================================
I'm kind of confused here . . . . .
What difference would it make since you are already 65 years old ?

Highlighted

Message 163 of 326

I began receiving Social Security at 65.  I have since been deemed completely and permanently disabled due to several medical problems the worst of which is degenerative disc disease in my spine.  I would like to have my status changed to show I am disabled.  Why am I being told that is impossible as you have only one opportunity to declare this and that is when you first sign up?  Caroline Miller

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 164 of 326

My major concern is that Congress will not fix Social Security until it becomes a true train wreck and becomes "unfixable".  For years they could have taken the limit off earnings to gain more income.  They could also make sure everyone pays in--all government workers and teacher organizations, etc.

They could reduce "future" cost of living raises--this is not a decrease in benefits as described by some.  

Highlighted

Message 165 of 326
Will they ever pay back the money they use out of Social Security for other reasons? That is like stealing our money that was suppose to support our retirement. If they would return that sum of money social security would be in great shape. By the way I work for over 40 years and paid all my taxes and they still would take care of foreign and welfare people before seniors would have work there whole life.
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 166 of 326
Social security is under attack by Republicans who object to it on ideological grounds. They are not going to stop their attack and the only thing keeping them from bringing it down is that they do not control either the senate or the executive office.

But they have convinced large numbers of people the it is "broken" and headed towards bankruptcy - even though neither of those allegations are true. But, they use their lies to convince people that the current system needs to be scrapped.

If they succeed, the people of this country are in trouble.
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 167 of 326
The government has always "borrowed" from the fund if that is what you call the fund's investments. Without this investing/borrowing the fund would really be in trouble. The US Treasury has always paid its obligations and will continue to do so.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 168 of 326
That organizations like AARP, who are supposed to advocate for seniors, are allowing legislation like Government Pension Offset (GPO) and Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) rob hard-earned retirement income from middle class Americans. AARP always talks the talk about protecting Social Security, but when it comes to GPO & WEP, they certainly don't walk the walk.
Trailsnet is a huge fan of trails: trail travel, trail commuting, trail recreation & trail building.
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 169 of 326

Due to funding issue, social security benefits would almost certainly be cut down the road.  This is a major concern.  This would put more financial burden on younger Baby Bommers and the generations that follow.  This means we must be more intelligent on investing for our retirement down the road.  Unfortunately, many people are not ready in the position to accept the challenge. 

Highlighted

Message 170 of 326
Keep it going!!!! Raise the limit on what is taxable. Cut out the fraud, esp. on disability claims!!!! I think you could double the limit and solve the problem. I've got to have Social Security to live in just a very few years!!!!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.

Top Authors