Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Consumer Cellular $55 for 2 - Don't be Fooled!

Contributor

Consumer Cellular $55 for 2 - Don't be Fooled!

AARP Link:  ConsumerCellular.com/4346

So I've researched this offer and decided its not for me!  Why?  Because you will be on a very low priority on ATT or Tmobile cell service.  That's how they can offer these cheap cell phone service offers.  The phone service on AT&T may be good in your area, but in times of heavy service you will be downgraded from 5G (if you are even getting that) down to 4G and THEN very slow bandwidth or no service at all.  This of course happens in times of Emergency or local outages in cell towers.  They give priority to their regular subscribers - of course.  Consumer Cellular is an MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) as described below.  I want my family to have the security of reliable cell service so I'm sticking with Verizon - at least for now.  This is another example of AARP giving seniors a "great offer" without disclosing what you may be giving up and the lower level of service that you wil get.

From U.S. News:

"The company (Consumer Cellular) is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), meaning it leases service from another carrier. In Consumer Cellular’s case, those carriers are AT&T and T-Mobile.  

Also, as an MVNO that leases towers from AT&T and T-Mobile, Consumer Cellular customers may not have access to the entire network of those carriers and may experience slower speeds since the carrier’s customers get priority during heavy network usage."

You get what you pay for and

Don't be fooled - ya don't get sumthin' fer nuthin'.

Periodic Contributor

Consumer Cellular is expensive! I've had Mint Mobile for almost 2yrs without any slowdown in service, except when exceeding data allowance, which only happened to my husband once. Runs on the TMobile network. We both have the "unlimited talk and text and 5GB data" plan and it's $15/mo which needs to be paid 3mo in advanced. You need to sign up individually and then form a "family" (2 or more people). This way you can keep the lowest rate of paying for 1yr in advanced, but paying only every 3months. Make sure to set your account for the 3mo payments in your family. It's $50.62 per person per 3mos (5GB), including taxes and fees. They have a special phone help number for the Mint 55+ plan. Whatever you choose, always read the small print carefully. I have a referral code for getting $15 credit if you sign up with it. Only 4 people can use it, but I could get 4 more. Reply if interested.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP