Introducing the Problem-Solving Strategy Challenge, the latest interactive brain exercise from Staying Sharp! Get started now.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist?

Message 61 of 70

What a great music era!! I have a few songs to share; White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane "Like a Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan "Good Vibration" Beach Boys " Reach Out I'll be there" by Four Top's and You've lost that lovin feeling' by Righteous Brothers  so many great songs!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 70

I have so many songs to add to the list but here's my start for today: How sweet it is (to be loved by you)- 1965

Can I get a witness - 1963. Both songs by the incredible, incredibly missed Marvin Gaye. 🙏

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 70

Hey everyone! Keep the music coming. This is a running list so please post as many times as you like. I have a looooong way to go! Maybe others will join us. I love reading your posts and comments!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 70

@WebWiseWoman  - Great choices! In A Gadda Da Vida was one of my brother's favorites. I remember it blasting from the 8-track deck in his car. Hadn't thought about that song in a while. I was mostly into folk & folk-rock, but he got me listening to hard rock, including these from my playlist -

By Steppenwolf:

Born To Be Wild (1968)

Magic Carpet Ride (1968)

It's Never Too Late (1969)

Jupiter's Child (1969)

Rock Me (1969)

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 70

The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore: The Walker Brothers

Silence Is Golden: The Tremeloes 

(and about 200 others)

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 70

Excellent topic, @MaVolta !!!!! tysvm for thinking of this!

So, # 1 for me is Iron Butterfly's "In A Gadda Da Vita" (1968)! Lots of people didn't like it due to length, but for me it's still a great "stuck in traffic" song, as I can rock out and everyone enjoys the old lady in the car next to them smiling while rocking out, instead of angry at traffic Smiley Wink

Note: I used to listen to Metallica on the drive then realized when I walked into the office and announced I knew why Lars was so angry and everyone gave me a hug while laughing that I needed to change that out...

# 2 on the 60's play list is Janis and her "Kosmic Blues"; so powerful and poignant.

# 3 is definitely John Lennon "Come Together" especially this version which he has so much fun with his original composition, not the earlier released version.

I shouldn't go on as it will make the post too long, but, again, thanks for this great topic! Can't wait to read others so I can add to my play list!

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 70

I was a kid.  My dad listened to country, so I had to.  Smiley Very Happy 

I still listen to:

Wolverton Mountain - Claude King

Big Bad John - Jimmy Dean

El Paso - Marty Robbins

Dang Me - Roger Miller

Harper Valley PTA - Jeannie Riley

Mamma Tried - Merle Haggard

Flowers on the Wall - Statler Brothers

Anything Johnny Cash, especially A Boy Named Sue

John Birch Society - Chad Mitchell Trio

Any and all of Tom Lehrer -- I wish he were writing songs today.  

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 70

Excellent topic choice @MaVolta!  I have many favorites from the 60's but I will start off with Five O'Clock world by the Vogues. (1965) Great song. Also anything by the Dave Clark Five- Glad all over (1964) is my fav by them. Also anything by the Animals, especially It's my life. (1965) We should have fun with this! 😎

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 70

To lead off, I will first qualify that The Beatles have a playlist all to themselves. (Bet many of you do too!)

One of my favorite songs of the early 60's that I still love toplay:

The Lion Sleeps Tonight - The Tokens (1961)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

What songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist?

Message 70 of 70

The 1960's boasts a vast array of music styles and genres throughout the decade. Many genres crossed and blurred lines, and new sub-genres or were created.

Throughout the 60's, we had a variety of pop, rock, Motown / R&B and soul. There were all of those tragedy songs, muscle car songs, and surf songs playing on the radio. Then came The Beatles and the British invasion. Folk music evolved into folk-rock, and Bob Dylan became one of the most influential songwriters of the decade and beyond. Folk music became a popular genre for the counterculture and protest songs (anti-war, civil rights). Folk-rock segued into psychedelic rock and songs of the drug culture. Elvis made a comeback in '68. Later in the decade, progressive rock began to merge various genres and styles, including classical music. And by the end of the decade, blues rock was moving to hard rock and heavy rock territory.

So much happened? What did I miss?

Here's an article that I found for a memory refresher.

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/60smusic.html

So, what songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist today?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs