Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Sinéad O’Connor has died at the age of 56.

Honored Social Butterfly

Sinéad O’Connor has died at the age of 56.

Gone, but never forgotten. Her fighting spirit still lingers. - Kelly

In a statement, the singer’s family said: “It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad. Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time.”

The acclaimed Dublin performer released 10 studio albums, while her song Nothing Compares 2 U was named the number one world single in 1990 by the Billboard Music Awards. Her version of the ballad, written by musician Prince, topped the charts around the globe and earned her three Grammy nominations.

Sinead.png

Songs: 

♡  Sinead O'Connor - The Emperor's New Clothes  

♡  Sinead O'Connor - Mandinka 

♡  Sinéad O'Connor - I Want Your Hands On Me 

♡  Sinéad O'Connor - Black Boys On Mopeds (The Late Show 1990)  

♡  Sinéad O'Connor - Fire On Babylon  

♡  Sinéad O'Connor ‎"I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got " Full Album HD

♡  Sinéad O'Connor - The Last Day Of Our Acquaintance (Live in Rotterdam, 1990)  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

I never knew any of the two personally, but they both seemed to have their inner demons. I do not think that Sinéad was a liar. She definitely had no filter when it came to her expressiveness, and I think she tried to backtrack some things that she said openly, because of having no filter. An Irish trait? Prince was an 'expressive' artist, as well, but he did it differently than Sinéad. Prince was more of a quiet/private person. Both were eccentric, however. And, both were passionate about their values, their beliefs, their motivations, their ideas, and their work.

Sadly, Sinéad and Prince are now deceased. The rock and roll life isn't what it's cracked up to be. Some people are miserable, some people have no filter, some people lose their children to suicide, and some people take drugs, for whatever reason. That'd make them human, at least. Let's just respect the dead, and stop with the gossip.

A few references regarding the conflict between Sinéad and Prince:

Sinéad's details lead me to believe that she was telling the truth. It may be that Prince was not happy with her, perhaps due to her success with covering HIS song. Keep in mind that, Prince still received money with her success. The story leads me to believe that they were both under the influence of 'something,' and things got really out of hand. Despite that 'one song,' Sinéad released several successful albums in her career, and she deserves credit for all of it.

Bottom line, I'll always remember Sinéad for her music, and that she was an advocate for child abuse. Some of us can relate to her story, like I do. Some adults whom have been abused as children have great difficulty in expressing themselves. Blame the parent, not the child. Some parents never get accountability, so it's the 'child turned adult' that has to tell the story, over and over again, in order to have others understand them. And, that really, really, really sucks.

Rolling Stone Jan 24 1991 Article about the scuffle with Sinéad O'Connor and Prince (although Prince denied it).

Rolling Stone Jan 24 1991 Article about the scuffle with Sinead OConnor and Prince although Prince denies it.jpg

@WebWiseWoman wrote:
‎07-28-2023 06:48 AM

I hate being the **bleep** but she lied about Prince, then accepted her wrong doing. Now some want her to "own" "Nothing compares 2 you". NO, NEVER EVER.

SHE tried to trash Prince; SHAME.

SHE ALSO DENIED FRIENDS publicly!

I am sorry for her loss but she did not ever honor others and in fact trashed while the opposite was possible for her...

I'm sorry for her death; I am NOT sorry for her loss... 

⬆️This response is not accurate, which it seems the sole intent for this post was to belittle Sinéad O'Connor and disrespect her, obviously favoring Prince. Prince was absolutely no saint, but there's a time and a place to post this sort of thing. Not when people are mourning the loss of someone. 'Out of touch,' is what they say. 🙄

View solution in original post

Honored Social Butterfly

World Cafe is playing a Sinéad O’Connor encore show tonight, from the 2000 archives! What a nice surprise. 😊

WORLD CAFE PLAYLIST FOR 08/24/2023

Sinéad O’Connor joins host David Dye

Sinéad O’Connor was a beautiful, ethereal singer but often press coverage focused on how outspoken she was. She passed away at the end of July, and to pay tribute, World Cafe digs back into their archives for an interview from 2000 around the time she released Faith and Courage. Hear the Irish star at one of her brightest moments – talking about one of the many things she loved – her music.

This is an Encore

Today’s Playlist
Sinéad O’Connor “Nothing Compares 2 U” I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got
Sinéad O’Connor “The Healing Room” Faith and Courage
Sinéad O’Connor “No Man’s Woman” Faith and Courage
Sinéad O’Connor “The Lamb’s Book of Life” Faith and Courage
Sinéad O’Connor “Jealous” Recorded Live for the World Cafe
TV On The Radio “Golden Age” Dear Science
Devon Gilfillian “All I Really Wanna Do” Love You Anyway
Stephen Sanchez “Evangeline” Angel Face
Semisonic “The Rope” Little Bit of Sun
Black Pumas “Fire” Black Pumas

Hour Two

Tanita Tikaram “Twist In My Sobriety” Ancient Heart
Allison Russell “Stay Right Here” The Returner
Bonnie Raitt “I Know” Give It Up
Wednesday “Quarry” Rat Saw God
Pixies “Where Is My Mind?” Surfer Rosa
Macy Gray “I Try” Recorded Live for the World Cafe
Liz Phair “6’1″” Recorded Live for the World Cafe
The Record Company “Talk To Me” Talk To Me
Tedeschi Trucks Band “Bound For Glory” Revelator
Dave Matthews Band “Jimi Thing” Under The Table and Dreaming
Geese “Cowboy Nudes” 3D Country
The Replacements “Can’t Hardly Wait” Pleased To Meet Me
Cage The Elephant “Ready To Let Go” Social Cues

Honored Social Butterfly

A recent update:

Sinéad O’Connor’s Remains Released To Her Family Following Autopsy.- The Irish Times (08032023)

Note: Cause of death has still yet to be determined.

😔 💔

Sinéad O’Connor The Irish Times 08062023 Pay Respects Articles.png

Honored Social Butterfly

I never knew any of the two personally, but they both seemed to have their inner demons. I do not think that Sinéad was a liar. She definitely had no filter when it came to her expressiveness, and I think she tried to backtrack some things that she said openly, because of having no filter. An Irish trait? Prince was an 'expressive' artist, as well, but he did it differently than Sinéad. Prince was more of a quiet/private person. Both were eccentric, however. And, both were passionate about their values, their beliefs, their motivations, their ideas, and their work.

Sadly, Sinéad and Prince are now deceased. The rock and roll life isn't what it's cracked up to be. Some people are miserable, some people have no filter, some people lose their children to suicide, and some people take drugs, for whatever reason. That'd make them human, at least. Let's just respect the dead, and stop with the gossip.

A few references regarding the conflict between Sinéad and Prince:

Sinéad's details lead me to believe that she was telling the truth. It may be that Prince was not happy with her, perhaps due to her success with covering HIS song. Keep in mind that, Prince still received money with her success. The story leads me to believe that they were both under the influence of 'something,' and things got really out of hand. Despite that 'one song,' Sinéad released several successful albums in her career, and she deserves credit for all of it.

Bottom line, I'll always remember Sinéad for her music, and that she was an advocate for child abuse. Some of us can relate to her story, like I do. Some adults whom have been abused as children have great difficulty in expressing themselves. Blame the parent, not the child. Some parents never get accountability, so it's the 'child turned adult' that has to tell the story, over and over again, in order to have others understand them. And, that really, really, really sucks.

Rolling Stone Jan 24 1991 Article about the scuffle with Sinéad O'Connor and Prince (although Prince denied it).

Rolling Stone Jan 24 1991 Article about the scuffle with Sinead OConnor and Prince although Prince denies it.jpg

@WebWiseWoman wrote:
‎07-28-2023 06:48 AM

I hate being the **bleep** but she lied about Prince, then accepted her wrong doing. Now some want her to "own" "Nothing compares 2 you". NO, NEVER EVER.

I am sorry for her loss but she did not ever honor others and in fact trashed while the opposite was possible for her...

⬆️This response is not accurate, which it seems the sole intent for this post was to belittle Sinéad O'Connor and disrespect her, obviously favoring Prince. Prince was absolutely no saint, but there's a time and a place to post this sort of thing. Not when people are mourning the loss of someone. 'Out of touch,' is what they say. 🙄

Regular Social Butterfly

I in no way, shape or form chose to "belittle" Sinead. I chose to honor Prince, who Sinead tried to belittle with untruths. You may continue this but will it be worth it? As you stated, they're both gone; I just hope someday you will accept the truth

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In case you didn't see the header, it reads, 'Sinéad O’Connor has died at the age of 56.' This is not about Prince, it's about Sinéad O'Connor's very recent passing. I would like to think the community, here, would respect the recently deceased, and maybe say one, or few nice things/a few kind words about them. Not berate the dead. I mean, why would anyone do that? If you want to honor Prince, start a thread, and do it there. This isn't a place for battles, or inconsiderate comments. This is a place to remember Sinéad O'Connor. Nothing more, nothing less. Thank you for your understanding. 

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

I in no way, shape or form chose to "belittle" Sinead. I chose to honor Prince, who Sinead tried to belittle with untruths. You may continue this but will it be worth it? As you stated, they're both gone; I just hope someday you will accept the truth

Honored Social Butterfly

It’s a shame she never got the help she

needed for her very public mental issues.
She said and 
did some very controversial

things, which were upsetting. She was

very talented for sure. Her cover of “Nothing compares 2 U” is amazing

Honored Social Butterfly

I thought she had the singing/A capella voice of an angel. I loved how she was an advocate for child abuse. Her son, Shane, died last year due to suicide, too. Breaks my heart.  😔

Gold Conversationalist

O’Connor’s death comes after her son Shane, 17, died by suicide in January 2022 after escaping hospital while on suicide watch. He had been hospitalised following two previous attempts.

“My beautiful son, Nevi’im Nesta Ali Shane O’Connor, the very light of my life, decided to end his earthly struggle today and is now with God,” she wrote on social media at the time, confirming he had passed.

“May he rest in peace and may no one follow his example. My baby. I love you so much. Please be at peace.”

O’Connor had previously issued a heartbreaking public plea to her son when he went missing.

“Shane, your life is precious. God didn’t chisel that beautiful smile on your beautiful face for nothing,” she tweeted, asking him to visit the Gardai (Irish police) and get help.

“My world would collapse without you. You are my heart. Please don’t stop it from beating. Please don’t harm yourself. Go to the Gardai and let’s get you to hospital.”

Another message issued by O’Connor during her son’s disappearance read: “This is a message for my son, Shane. Shane, it’s not funny anymore all this going missing. You are scaring the crap out of me. Could you please do the right thing and present yourself at a Gardai station. If you are with Shane please call the Gardai for his safety”.

O’Connor’s pain over her son’s death was clearly still overwhelming in what was to be her final message on social media, posted just last week

She had responded to a tweet by the Inspirational Quotes account, which instructed “Tell me how your life is going using emojis.” O’Connor shared crying face emojis and the hashtag: “Lostmy17yrOldSonToSuicidein2022”.

“Been living as undead night creature since,” she continued.

“He was the love of my life, the lamp of my soul. We were one soul in two halves. He was the only person who ever loved me unconditionally I am lost in the bardo without him.”

Regular Social Butterfly

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

She was an advocate but took many risks

with her approach. Jmo She had a gorgeous

voice. I think losing her son definitely affected her. I believe we will find out she

committed suicide as well. So sad

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP