AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 71 of 147

Leaning toward TN or maybe TX, currently living the dream in Indianapolis, IN.  Smiley Happy

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 72 of 147
Very good point. Mexico is overall a beautiful country and its people are very friendly.
Conversationalist

Message 73 of 147

Anywhere but where I am. I want to get to a place that is near my daughter and her kids since Taylor is the best one of them all!

Info Seeker

Message 74 of 147

My wife & I moved down from Mich. to Sun City, Texas in Georgetown Texas.  It is a friendly active 55 & over community.  Lots to do & Georgetown is a great town.  Hot in summer but spring, fall & winter are great!

Info Seeker

Message 75 of 147

I am planning on retirement soon.  I currently live in Pennsylvania.  Property taxes are high, and I live in a low tax county.  I looked at Florida, but it appears the property tax there is high.  Are the property assessed annually?  I will be bringing 4 horses with me so I will need acreage with house and barns.  My plans are leaning more to Tennessee at this time?

Conversationalist

Message 76 of 147

Where did you travel in Mexico? Have you visited Guanajuato City in the central highlands?  It's a high desert area.  I've lived here close to 20 years on a mountaintop overlooking the city.  Built a 3bed/2bath house on one level with wheelchair amenities like ramps and wide doorways.  Thought I'd bring my parents down to live with me,  Sadly, they both passed away before I finished the house.  Now, I'm about to retire from my university position here. I love it here, but realize living alone on a mountaintop has its drawbacks for aging in place.  I'm developing a plan to convert the house into a communal living area and I have land to build individual private cottages.  In other words, a small (6-10 person) senior co-housing community.  I'm looking for interested people.

It's DOABLE.  Just needs a few fellow pioneers with vision and drive to get the ball rolling.  If you're interested, come visit Guanajuato.  I'd be happy to show you around my town!

Conversationalist

Message 77 of 147

Dear SW1743

I've lived happily and safely in Mexico 20 years, and plan to stay right where I am after I retire next year. The violence isn't everywhere.  Where I live, it's peaceful and the crime is little more than petty thievery. Warning people not to move to the entire country of Mexico based on crime in a few areas is like warning people not to move anywhere in the U.S. based on the number of crimes in Chicago, a huge over-generalization.

Conversationalist

Re: Jonesboro, Ga or Houston Texas

Message 78 of 147
Try Mexico. I live there very well on about $1000/month. Own my own 3 bed/2 bath house with big living/dining room, on 1 acre of land. My property taxes are under $20/year. Climate in the central highlands is very moderate.
Conversationalist

Message 79 of 147

Rapid City? You'll be moving to the area of the country that I spent my life in. Beautiful area, but it gets very cold and snowy there.

We recently retired to Central Florida. It was my dream spot, but now I have second thoughts about it. We made a mistake in our living arrangements. We bought a cute little mobile home in a senior Mobile Home Park. I had this Vision that it would all be nice, sweet, middle aged people who just wanted to play Bingo and chat. People who are tired of the bickering and one-upping each other after being in the Work World their entire lives Not so. Too many nasty, judgemental, racist, homophobic people in here. I'm sure this doesn't apply to all the senior mobile home communities, but we'll be looking for an apartment soon. I'd rather be around a more diverse crowd. As far as the weather, wildlife, and scenery, it's all perfect.

Info Seeker

Re: Jonesboro, Ga or Houston Texas

Message 80 of 147

I like the idea of warm weather and low taxes