Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 51 of 100 (4,051 Views)

I think people may also need to consider that with longevity & our retirement years expanding, it might be wise to accept lifestyle as a multi-phase process. When I began looking for a retirement home near the shore at 54, I was fine with being somewhere I'd have to drive to everything, and having a full flight of stairs between the garage & living space. But when I'm in my mid-70s, I can definitely see a move to a town with a walkable downtown shopping area, and being totally on 1-level!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 52 of 100 (4,030 Views)

I'm semi retired as a PA resident and also like the Oceanview DE area. No sales tax and low property taxes. However, if one decides to make DE their full time resident state, their out of state pension will be taxed by DE.

Info Seeker

Message 53 of 100 (3,913 Views)

I would add one more item to consider.  Leave yourself room and finances to change your mind.  Once you live somewhere, it may not be so suitable.  The older you get, the more you want family and most especially your children and family support system.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 54 of 100 (3,759 Views)

My dream for where I wanted to live (and die) would be the Northwest coast.  Preferably Seattle.  If I could wake up and go to sleep listening to breakers coming in, it would be my own private nirvana.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 55 of 100 (3,728 Views)
That sounds great.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 56 of 100 (3,162 Views)

I have two children living in the Atlanta area. I'd love to move there because of the culture, climate and the churches and spending more time with them. Not having the public transportation I'd grown up with in the city of my birth, Chicago, makes the choice to move to Atlanta a not so sure choice. The traffic is too stressful for a seniors. I'd have no problem returning to Chicago because of the culture, public transportation, churches and family there as well. I've lived most of my adult life in small(er) towns in Michigan but spent so much time returning to Chicago, even taking a year to work at a University there but my final choice would more than likely be Chicago since all my children love visiting there as well and spending time with family. I've missed the instant mobility/freedom of public transportation and the cultural activities that are so much a part of Chicago. I miss the church culture of that city.

Conversationalist

Message 57 of 100 (3,127 Views)

I grew up in the Seattle area and loved it. Moved to Andover, Massachusetts, in 1977 and loved it. Now I live outside Honolulu (for last 30 years) and love it. Of course most of my children--4 of 5--and grandkids --8 of10--live nearby which makes our location even more satisfying. If the kids were not here and the cost of living was an important issue Hawaii is not kind to retirees. The cost of housing, shelter, transportation, and food is at least 25% higher than the mainland. Also health care is fine on Oahu but spotty on the neighbor islands. If our children weren't here, I would most likely move to a medium size city like Salem or Eugene in Oregon and buy a place where most shopping, arts, and health care was walkable. 

Conversationalist

Message 58 of 100 (2,803 Views)

My husband and I sold our home last year in North Carolina and plan to retire in Savannah Georgia mainly because it's a warm climate area and a 4 hour drive to Florida 

Conversationalist

Message 59 of 100 (2,814 Views)

I presently live in the Northern Virginia area, but we are looking to eventually retire in Delaware for the reasons that I mentioned earlier.  I like Ocean View because it is a small town, which is close to Bethany Beach, but you are not inundated with the beach goers.  Rehoboth Beach is 20 minutes away, so if you want to go shopping, they have the big Tanger Outler there, and you are also about 20 minutes away from Ocean City, Maryland, which they also have the outlets in Ocean City, but you are smart to shop in Delaware because there is no sales tax.  Personally, I feel Delaware is a win win for me, and I would definitely research the Ocean View, Delaware area if you are contemplating Delaware.  Best of luck!! Smiley Happy

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 60 of 100 (2,800 Views)

@Itinerant1 - If you think San Diego is expensive, San Francisco is probably worse! Check out Zillow for the type of housing in which you're interested, and check prices!!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!