Stay Safe During Summer Storms with Disaster Preparedness Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Now!

Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 51 of 170

I want to live in Montgomery County, Maryland.  It is a very progressive, tolerant, open-minded area,very unlike the area I currently live.  It has an incredibly vibrant active retirement community called Leisure World.  It is also located very close to Washington, D.C., with many cultural, culinary, and entertainment options.  I am looking forward to moving here.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 52 of 170

I have often wondered why Indiana is not promoted as a good retirement state.   We live in Ft. Wayne, a beautiful medium-size city.  We have more going on here than we can possibly do, great golf courses, top-notch philharmonic orchestra and civic theater, a poster-picture ball park, lots of lakes within an hour.  It does sometimes turn cold in the winter, but much more reasonable to live here and visit warm weather for a month!

Conversationalist

Message 53 of 170

Enenrgy and light going out to those with such difficult situations.

I am single, 68,    and in good health.

I live in DesMoines,I A, and this is a two by two state -- couples and family encouraged.

I'm from Chicago and my son is there, but where I'd like to live in Chicago is too expensive, and if I'm going to try a suburb, Imight as well saty in Des Moines.

The liberal triangle of NC sounds very exciting.

I'm a writer and would like to take advantage of the cultural scene.

What is the cost of living like? Can singles fit in?

My daughter is in DSM now,but very fluid!

Info Seeker

Message 54 of 170

I have always wanted to live near Boston.  I'm a Museum Educator with a specialty in the 18th Century.

What's the cost of living like?  Museums (unfortunately) don't pay much.

Info Seeker

Message 55 of 170

1) Kanab Utah.  Volunteer at Best Friends Animal Society

2) Santa Fe NM

3)Flagstaff **bleep** 

i live in Florida Now.  Though I love Ocala.  That is the Only nice place left in Florida.  Not hugely affordable for middle income families

not a good enough reason to stay

florida is a Dump.  Everywhere.

The People are Atrocious. Horrible.  Rude. Self Absorbed  

Then there are the Snowbirds. Who feel We Owe Them our lives. Because They vacation here 

the Education system one of the lowest in the country

public transportation is non existent   

There are limited nature places left that are intact

Work is limited to service or tourism

Been here 20 years. Counting the days.minutes  until I can get out

Info Seeker

Message 56 of 170

I'm from Denver but moved to Vegas to be w my kids/grandkids. The cost of living is low and the weather is nice moist of the yr. Just 3 -4 mos of hot  weather and 2 that are cool. There's a lot to do, no state taxes, I miss my home and the green landscape of the Rockies but all in all am happy here. Healthcare used to be lacking but there are many new hospitals and Dr's setting up practice. I'm not retired yet (I'm 63) but plan to stay here when I do. Just a thought! Good luck! 

Info Seeker

Message 57 of 170

I'll look into the state thing, that's a good idea but Chicago is just too cold for me and I'm on a walker, that plus ice equals many ER visits. I really want something small, handicapped equipped and rural. Away from snow, tornado alley and I've survived enough hurricanes to last a lifetime. Like another user mentioned the Pacific Northwest sounds good, it gets cool but not too cold, granted there's a few volcanos to worry about. I don't have a problem being alone (as long as I don't fall of course) I just want peace and quiet. I want to relax maybe get back into photography.

Info Seeker

Message 58 of 170

You might try Chicago, Illinois city and suburbs. My 94 year old mother had a very low income and qualified for Medicaid assistance to live in a very nice assisted living facility. It was quite modern and clean and she had her own apartment. Check out the State of Illinois website. Your own state should have a listing of places to live as well. Hope things work out for you.

Info Seeker

Message 59 of 170

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

To the person who said not to give up on FL I'm living on straight disability, well below the poverty line. I highly doubt I could afford more than a broom-closet in your retirement community. We're barely holding on with two of us. Alone I doubt I could cover the bills and taxes and have anything left for food, gas, car insurance. I'm just lost, cconfused and scared.

Conversationalist

Message 60 of 170

Don't give up on Florida.  We love in Ocala, at a 55 plus community called On Top of The World.  Check us out.  You just might find this to be your new home.  We love it here, and so do the other 10,000 or so that also like it here.

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors