You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Use code '2019' to save 25 percent now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 41 of 266

Check out the Tri-Cities - Johnson City/Kingsport/Bristol, TN - close enough to VA to save (alot) on sales tax only 1-1/2 hours to Knoxville or Gatlinburg or Asheville or Roanoke; 6 hours to Charleston SC and the ocean/6 hours to Wash.DC.  Good medical/King University/ETSU/good community college.  Barter Theater/ Good festivals/NASCAR

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 266

I knew about sales tax but my retirement money was not as bad as where I'm at and other states. I have a 9% here on sales tax so use to it. Thanks about recommendation as I had been looking at oakridge area. I'll look at strawberry plains.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 266

Be aware that Tennessee taxes EVERYTHING, fromgroceries to clothing. It's a hefty one too.

I'd check into some of the smaller towns near Knoxville (Knoxville traffic is crazy!).  

Strawberry Plains is a nice suburb quite close.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 266

I thought it was going to be where I'm at now, Arizona but life events changed my mind so now I'm going to Tennessee in less than 2 years.  Looking at Knoxville are along the Smokies. Being retired military and soon to be retired federal government employee, Tennessee is tax friendly and just a beautiful State. I can be near water and mountains as well as trees and greenery.  Any advice?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 266

We retired a couple of years ago. We sold our house in Winnetka, Il and purchased a smaller home near downtown Fort Lauderdale. We love being near the beach and a short distance to restaurants and shops. When it gets really hot in the summer we escape to Chicago to spend time with our adult children

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 266

Donna, have you looked into the Grove or Miami area? It's just a bit East of Tulsa County, but it's a beautiful area and Grand Lake is stunning. Housing in Grove is pretty high for Oklahoma, but you would probably think it's very reasonable. Also, there are a few small towns right in that area that would have very reasonable housing.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 266
I still have about a year and a half but was thinking I’d like to live in the Tulsa County area. A nice place with little or no crime. I’m from the east coast so buying a home alone here is not possible. Any area or town suggestions would be appreciated.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 266

Right where I am now, in the foothills of NC.  Enjoy all 4 seasons, the mountains are great for a day trip.  Lots of parks, libraries, and festivals.  The ocean is 4 hours away.  I like to visit, but I am home now.  Can't wait to wake up to the birds songs with no alarm, and find my joy each day in retirement.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 266

I'm really thinking of somewhere with the college triangle in North Carolina.

NC is a conservative state, but the college triangle is liberal.

There is one not for profit senior community there that looks especially interesting--question is, but can I afford it?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 266

Murray is a fantastic town!  I'm from there and I really miss it.  It's only drawback (for me at least) is that there are no bookstores (other than a religious one and the one at the university).

Kudos
Views