Listen to The Perfect Scam Podcast and Nominate It for a People’s Choice Podcast Award! Find Out More

Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 41 of 218

People moving to the area have made living conditions unbearable, needless to say they are not welcomed with open arms.  Traffic is horrible, housing is unaffordable.  The infrastructure of the area has not kept up with the population growth.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 42 of 218

Texas

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 43 of 218

For quite a while it's been Ireland I'd like to head to. But I'm only 28% Irish and that isn't enough to get me in! Housing costs are high.  I have been told it's difficult for an American to settle there --I have no idea if this is true.

I'm trynig to make contact with some ex-pat communities in Ireland and Portugal.

Portugal would be a completely different life from everything I've known and that sounds wonderful! To have one last great adventure.

Anyone know anything about retiring to Portugal?

I'm in Iowa now,and bless the nice peoople here, but I want something more exciting. I'm from Chicago and would go back in a minute--if I could afford it.

Info Seeker

Message 44 of 218

Conway, SC. Very low property taxes and my wife hates the cold NJ winters.

Info Seeker

Singapore

Message 45 of 218

@SpaceBlue wrote:

If you are not going to continue living in your present home after retirement (not recommended if you chose your home rationally), move to Boise, ID.  Great climate with seasonal changes, relatively small community where people are friendly and helpful, and cheap (but getting more expensive with time).

@SpaceBlue wrote:

If you are not going to continue living in your present home after retirement (not recommended if you chose your home rationally), move to Boise, ID.  Great climate with seasonal changes, relatively small community where people are friendly and helpful, and cheap (but getting more expensive with time).

Info Seeker

Message 46 of 218

I love Michigan summers. As a 30 year construction worker, the winters seem longer than I like now. Retirement is around the corner and New Mexico or Arizona would be ideal in the wintertime. I kinda want the best of both worlds.  Tax free pension state would be my choice to live when retired. 

Info Seeker

Message 47 of 218
Virgin Islands very great place and near the water.
Info Seeker

Message 48 of 218

i don't know i need help with planning where and if I want an apt or a townhouse to relocate to or where I  would be happy.

Info Seeker

Message 49 of 218

We live in the NW and love it but can see why snowbirds are snowbirds. Need somewhere warm for 1/2 the year. Maybe Costa Rica or Honduras.

Info Seeker

Message 50 of 218

My wife and I are retired and live in New Jersey. We have sold our home and renting while we decide where we want to move. The choices are either stay in New Jersey or move to Pennsylvania. Each state has it's pros and cons, however, we need some definite info on which state overall is the best for retirees. We do not want to move to Pa. and when we get here find that, overall, it isn't any cheaper than NJ. Can anyone help?

Robert J Farr