Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Conversationalist

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 11 of 170

@cm2216799wrote:

I'm a writer, so I won't ever retire-- as long as I can press the keyboard on my computer.

I have done a little research on St.Augustine, FL.

I grew up in Chicago and would love to live there, but it is wildly expensive.

No offense, the MIdwest doesn't do much for me. I do like Minnesota.

I want to be  by water, I don't a need a condo or anything luxurious, two bedrooms, and allowed to have a dog.

Activities would include walking, participating in all the museums and events St. Augustine has to offer.

I read about the tourists, but I'm used to crowds.

Is there a large retiree population?

Being from Chicago, I can't help it, politics are imortant -- which is why FL does give me pause, it leans right. But St. Augustine sounds like it might be a bit more liberal. Any suggested websites? I keep coming with real estate people.

cm2216799
 You can live in St Augustine and not live near the tourist attraction. There is Villano Beach,

,St Augustine Beach, South St Augustine and several other places. BTW if you enjoy shopping there are 2 large outlet malls north of St. Augustine on I-95. Google a map of St Augustine and check out nearby places.

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 12 of 170

I'm a writer, so I won't ever retire-- as long as I can press the keyboard on my computer.

I have done a little research on St.Augustine, FL.

I grew up in Chicago and would love to live there, but it is wildly expensive.

No offense, the MIdwest doesn't do much for me. I do like Minnesota.

I want to be  by water, I don't a need a condo or anything luxurious, two bedrooms, and allowed to have a dog.

Activities would include walking, participating in all the museums and events St. Augustine has to offer.

I read about the tourists, but I'm used to crowds.

Is there a large retiree population?

Being from Chicago, I can't help it, politics are imortant -- which is why FL does give me pause, it leans right. But St. Augustine sounds like it might be a bit more liberal. Any suggested websites? I keep coming with real estate people.

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 170

Sarasota,FL  It has a tropical charm and beauty that is amazing!

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 170

Green Valley, Arizona.  The weather is perfect.  The real estate taxes are minimal.  Retirement community.  Just voted the 4th best place to retire.

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 170

california dreaming

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 170
alaska
Info Seeker

Message 17 of 170

How long to you plan to live there?  Will this location be suitable when you are old and frail?  How accessible is it for your friends and for emergency services if and when you need them?

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 170

I purchased land in the Olympic Peninsula along the Coast.  It's in a temperate rainforest,and is gorgeous, but haven't built yet.  Still trying to decide if rain is in my longterm forecast.  Sequim is in a dry and beautiful area. It may be a good choice. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 19 of 170

Next to a golf course with reasonable green fees.  

Antoine S. Madere
Info Seeker

Message 20 of 170
You should ask what type of farmland? Do you want rolling hills pine land with hunting, grains, or cotton land? How much land do you want to own, because that definitely makes a difference. What climate do you prefer? For example, what gardening zone do you prefer. Best of luck to you!
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.