Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 11 of 349

This is strictly a cultural thing. I'm from a small rural area in Virginia and you would get a crazy look if you asked someone where would you want to live when you retire.  You build your home on your property and that is where you retire is the answer. I feel so lost not having my home to live in since retirement. I don't have one now. I was renting a one-bedroom but became ill and moved in with my kids in different states as needed.  I go to a senior center during the week and most people there live with their kids or have their kids move in with them.  The only people i knew who would ask that would be military who were like vagabonds, moving around and not putting down roots. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 349
Next 40 years?? How old are you now? I enjoyed one-bedroom living in LasV but had cancer surgery and altho I planned for a doctor and nurse to come to my apartment, my kids kidnapped me, basically, because the plan my surgeon had was not "standard of care". They moved mw out with 2 suitcases and a backpack. I miss my 6 chair, pecan dining set. . You don't make the plans for your future, You make plans for backup for what-ifs happening to you.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 349

Charlotte NC

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 349

Salinas, Ecuador!  We have been doing a LOT of research for 9 years now, and plan on retiring there 5-6 years from now.  Can hardly wait!!!!!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 349

@TinaL212109 wrote:

I want to live in the mountains close to a flowing stream with pine trees all around.  I want a big property, at least 5 acres.  I want to have chickens and goats , lots of animals. and my dogs . A log cabin big enough  for my family  to come and stay whenever  they want. I want a garden .  Not mountains with snow most of the year, southwest areas  with snow just a couple  months during the year.  

This would be my fantasy retirement. To me this sounds like a delightful way to spend the next 40 years. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 349
I would love to be near a beach. But Michigan is my home, so I will retire here, and vacation at the beaches in Florida.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 349

Although everyone I love lives here in upstate NY ,I'd love somewhere warm and dry.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 349

I will probably retire in 2020-2021 and intend to live between Colombia and central Florida. Part of the advantages of living in Colombia (my wife's home country) is that the cost of living is much less than the US and so is health insurance. We own a home in both countries so that helps a lot although rent in Colombia is very reasonable in most parts of the country. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 349

Iron Mountain, MI

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 349

I want to live in the mountains close to a flowing stream with pine trees all around.  I want a big property, at least 5 acres.  I want to have chickens and goats , lots of animals. and my dogs . A log cabin big enough  for my family  to come and stay whenever  they want. I want a garden .  Not mountains with snow most of the year, southwest areas  with snow just a couple  months during the year.  

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors