From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 111 of 339

With 4 years until my husbandf retires , we are planning now of where to live. Currently we live in NE PA which is a tax friendly state for retirees however we are looking for less hustle and bustle. I was considering NC but read it isn't tax friendly. So now we are considering southern VA. We ant 4 seasons but a more less snow than here. It is such a major decsion and there is so much to research. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 112 of 339

I'd love to retire in Tennessee. We've vacationed in Tennessee and loved the Smokey Mountains, no state income tax and low costs for housing compared to Maryland. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 113 of 339

Thank you, this is great getting all this input. Being close to VA is important. I have a variety of interests so it all sounds great. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 114 of 339

Check out the Tri-Cities - Johnson City/Kingsport/Bristol, TN - close enough to VA to save (alot) on sales tax only 1-1/2 hours to Knoxville or Gatlinburg or Asheville or Roanoke; 6 hours to Charleston SC and the ocean/6 hours to Wash.DC.  Good medical/King University/ETSU/good community college.  Barter Theater/ Good festivals/NASCAR

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 115 of 339

I knew about sales tax but my retirement money was not as bad as where I'm at and other states. I have a 9% here on sales tax so use to it. Thanks about recommendation as I had been looking at oakridge area. I'll look at strawberry plains.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 116 of 339

Be aware that Tennessee taxes EVERYTHING, fromgroceries to clothing. It's a hefty one too.

I'd check into some of the smaller towns near Knoxville (Knoxville traffic is crazy!).  

Strawberry Plains is a nice suburb quite close.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 117 of 339

I thought it was going to be where I'm at now, Arizona but life events changed my mind so now I'm going to Tennessee in less than 2 years.  Looking at Knoxville are along the Smokies. Being retired military and soon to be retired federal government employee, Tennessee is tax friendly and just a beautiful State. I can be near water and mountains as well as trees and greenery.  Any advice?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 118 of 339

We retired a couple of years ago. We sold our house in Winnetka, Il and purchased a smaller home near downtown Fort Lauderdale. We love being near the beach and a short distance to restaurants and shops. When it gets really hot in the summer we escape to Chicago to spend time with our adult children

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 119 of 339

Donna, have you looked into the Grove or Miami area? It's just a bit East of Tulsa County, but it's a beautiful area and Grand Lake is stunning. Housing in Grove is pretty high for Oklahoma, but you would probably think it's very reasonable. Also, there are a few small towns right in that area that would have very reasonable housing.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 120 of 339
I still have about a year and a half but was thinking I’d like to live in the Tulsa County area. A nice place with little or no crime. I’m from the east coast so buying a home alone here is not possible. Any area or town suggestions would be appreciated.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera