Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Periodic Contributor

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

Carin
Honored Social Butterfly

We've retired 'in place'. We have been in our one-and-only house for almost 37 years. I would love to have a place out in the Pacific Northwest, but most of our respective families live within an hour's drive. So, we're staying here. We are on a few acres, so I have been indulging in big-time gardening for a lot of years. We'll stay here until we physically cannot handle the property.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Social Butterfly

I'm going to retire in my house.

Contributor

We are in Pennylvania now but want to go west to ski country and are looking for affordable suggestions.

Our financial adviser told us, travel where you think you'd like to live, Rv or rent first. Once you make a move, you may be stuck. Some of his clients had bought in other states, after living there a couple years, hated it. Then couldn't sell. You don't want to get stuck. So we are traveling while we can. And after living in the Pacific Northwest rain, we know we don't want to live here. Expensive also. On a lighter note, you have everything in the state of Washington, great place to visit in the summer!

Retired & left expensive Maryland to live much more comfortably in Hartwell, Ga.. With temperate climate, low cost of living, great golfing,. & beautiful Lake Hartwell,, Hart County Ga is known as "the best & friendliest little town by a dam site"! -- & that it is!!!
Super Contributor

eb65614617, I've sent you a Private Message here in the forum after reading your comments about Hartwell GA! We are investigating a future retirement move to that area and would love to learn more about your experiences there!
amcoffiebean
Kudos
Views
Contributor

I love Oregon. Figure out what you want and needs are. Call the chamber of commerce in the city you are interested in and they can send you free information on the area. You can also order at a charge a relocation packet. I have always found this useful.
Contributor

I lived in Portland for 25 years and loved it. I've been away 7 years and wow it has gotten expensive. I want to be downtown where everything is at my fingertips and transport is so accessible. I am concerned about the cost though. I am wondering how to look for people with great places but who are getting priced out. If we shared it could be a win win. Any ideas?

Honored Social Butterfly

@Rex1948 wrote:

I lived in Portland for 25 years and loved it. I've been away 7 years and wow it has gotten expensive. I want to be downtown where everything is at my fingertips and transport is so accessible. I am concerned about the cost though. I am wondering how to look for people with great places but who are getting priced out. If we shared it could be a win win. Any ideas?

This is an issue for everyone wanting to live a very desirable area.  You might try looking for condo rentals. You might have to go to each building that you are interested in and see what is available for sharing but in my ara, that is a common arrangement for college attendees.  Apartment  sharing is also common, check the online ads or check with the rental office.   Take care though because with sharing, there is no guarantee that the other person and you will be compatible and you also have to be careful when you draw up the financial sharing plans.  You don't want to be left holding the bag if someone decides to leave unexpectedly.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Contributor

I'm retired so we have been thinking of where to retire and concluded that we should stay put where we have are or move near where our children are.

As we get older and frail, family support is most important and if your children lives far away, it is hard on them and for yourselve.   

Contributor

If you are not going to continue living in your present home after retirement (not recommended if you chose your home rationally), move to Boise, ID.  Great climate with seasonal changes, relatively small community where people are friendly and helpful, and cheap (but getting more expensive with time).

Contributor

Wapanucka Oklahoma 

@SpaceBlue wrote:

If you are not going to continue living in your present home after retirement (not recommended if you chose your home rationally), move to Boise, ID.  Great climate with seasonal changes, relatively small community where people are friendly and helpful, and cheap (but getting more expensive with time).

@SpaceBlue wrote:

Contributor

Henderson NV. Yes itโ€™s hot... but cheaper to buy a home there. Also, Iโ€™m tired of the cold
Contributor

My husband recently retired, we moved back to Maine to be close to our children, things are not going as planned and as crazy as it sounds we now wish we had stayed in Indiana.  Love being near the kids and grand kids but Maine is a very expensive state to live in.  Have considered Myrtle Beach but can't make up our minds.  

We had planned to move home to Maine un retirement, but like you, find it to be too expensive now. We have no idea where we will end up, as we dont want to stay here in WI either.

As for MB, I have family that lived there for 20 years, and recently retired back to Maine. They came to hate Myrtle Beach due to the excessive crowds and noise. That doesn't mean you will hate it, but it is certainly something to think about.
Periodic Contributor

Been retired 5 years
Still live in same home
Live where u r happy
If you have to take a mortgage to move someplace else is not worth it
Trusted Contributor

Well, me and the wife are headed for southwestern Missouri ourselves.  Going to the Ozark mountains.  Have lived in the southwest for most of our lives and cannot stand what it has become!  Shame really as it used to be wonderful place.

Periodic Contributor

Where do you live in the southwest?  We live in the Ozarks in Arkansas. We have wondered how it would be in Arizona. 

Trusted Contributor

I lived in Phoenix AZ in my school years and early working career years.  Had to move to neighboring New Mexico for my career in my mid 20's.  Always thought I would return.  Well, over time the Phoenix area has become a huge overcrowded mess of a place!   Lot's of crime, high taxes, high cost of living, etc.  New Mexico, not much better, live near Albuquerque now and although I like our community alright the crime rate has increased over 250% in the past 10 years.  Drug use, theft, murder, all of it is out of control.  Lots of gangs from South America (think MS 13, yes they are here folks!).  So I am looking to get out! 

We have family in the Branson MO area, we have visited there many times and love it!  Sure, the weather can be a pain but same goes for the southwest.  I watch the weather between the both and quite frankly they aren't that different tempurature wise most of the time!  Big difference is dry in the southwest, humid in the midwest!  I think it is a good enough trade for somewhere that I probably will not need an electified fence around my porperty to keep out the vermin!

i don't know i need help with planning where and if I want an apt or a townhouse to relocate to or where I  would be happy.

Periodic Contributor

I finally have my home the way I want it so I plan to stay here in east central Illinois for awhile. I do however plan to travel on peace and justice trips as long as I am able. I've been to Nicaragua twice and the second time brought 139 new Spanish language books to a small village in the mountains. Education is the beginning of freedom for these friends!
Contributor

I would love to live in Roatan Honduras! I hope to retire in 5 years. I am 55 my husband 57

I still have about a year and a half but was thinking Iโ€™d like to live in the Tulsa County area. A nice place with little or no crime. Iโ€™m from the east coast so buying a home alone here is not possible. Any area or town suggestions would be appreciated.
Regular Contributor

Donna, have you looked into the Grove or Miami area? It's just a bit East of Tulsa County, but it's a beautiful area and Grand Lake is stunning. Housing in Grove is pretty high for Oklahoma, but you would probably think it's very reasonable. Also, there are a few small towns right in that area that would have very reasonable housing.

Regular Contributor

I love the do-gooders in this world. Not enough of them. You go, girl!

We live in the NW and love it but can see why snowbirds are snowbirds. Need somewhere warm for 1/2 the year. Maybe Costa Rica or Honduras.

Contributor

You might want to reconsider moving to Central America during our NW winters. Lots of extreme social and political issues and inequality there. As a result, there is a lot of crime and violence in that part of the world. I also live in the NW and find that Ecuador and Chile offer a much safer social environment.
Contributor

I'm so happy I caught this discussion! I am planning to move off Long Island next June and actively investigating where to live as I would like to stay near water but not in such an expensive location. As I work remote I have great flexibility. I know what I don't want -- any heavy rain area or cold lol. So any insight, suggestions, resources you can share I'd greatly appreciate.

Periodic Contributor

May I suggest that you check out Rosarito Beach and Ensenada in Baja California, Mexico and all the beautiful homes, villas, and condominiums there-- many built to USA standards. Two such gated communities are La Jolla Real and La Jolla Excellence-- both ocean front. Mexico is a perfect location for those who want ocean, good weather, great food, friendly people (many of whom speak English).  Mexico offers me diverse locales and climates, friendly supportive community, and a driving proximity to the USA in under 2 hours for shopping or medical care.
In doing my research, I found that over one million USA and Canadians retire here. To find out your best choice, may I also suggest that you read online publications from Live and Invest Overseas and International Living-- two organizations that I ustilized to make my decision. Live and Invest Overseas chose Mexico (in year 2017/2018) as their top international retirement pick. They even put out a publication about their choice. I have lived here for three years and still enjoy my daily life!
I love living and owning here in Baja!  A 30 minute drive takes me to the USA when I want. My neighbors are interesting and caring people! The activities are numerous and if one wants to fly, it is easy from Tijuana International or San Diego International to anywhere globally.  Even Alaska Airlines has entered this part of the North American flight market.  

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP