Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any Retirement Aha Moments? 👴👵

• Discussion was created on May 18, 2021.
  • With retirement, some of us now have time to think, explore, change and so on.
  • Any aha moments to share with us?
  • Stop by to read the comments and/or add a comment.
  • We luv hearing from you!
Recognized Social Butterfly

1 commment (9/16/23)

Stop by to join OUR discussion!

Thanks,

Nicole 👴👵 (Retirement Forum)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote:

(9/16/23)

Stop by to join OUR discussion!

Thanks,

Nicole 👴👵 (Retirement Forum)

Hey @SpringIsHereSoHappy,

My "aha" moment is discovering that retirement isn't costing as much as "experts" say it costs.

I wake up later, eat a large breakfast, and basically skip lunch which I never did while in the workforce.

I wear my clothes more than one day(except undies), whereas I had to change everyday when in the workforce.

I take advantage of coupons and other money saving promotions which I didn't qualify for when I was in the workforce.

The so called "experts" were WAY OFF when it came to estimating the cost of daily life in retirement.

Kudos
Views
Super Contributor

Yes, it can be down right boring sometimes and require too much energy and enthusiasm for life that we no longer have.

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment 💡(1/9/23) Today it suddenly hit me how far I have come since retiring in July 2020. TODAY, 9 days into 2023, I have arrived in my quest for "inner peace". Lol, this Community Board which I joined 11/14/22 ADDED a few more "lessons" to my schooling. Ignore, ignore. 😂🤣 And APPRECIATE the awesome folks who have shown me nothing but KINDNESS. You KIND 😉 guys have "reminded" me to NEVER give up on life. When you are living with PASSION, life brings humans, furbabies 🐕🐈 and opportunities to your door. All you need to do is OPEN it and welcome them in.... 😉

Social Butterfly

Today was my first time doing some community volunteering since COVID started. It felt awesome to be back contributing in that way. Really gives you a sense of purpose. A wonderful way to lift your spirits too. 

Trusted Contributor

Had one yesterday here in the not so great retirement state of Floriduh, I went to the local Dollar Tree real close to me and had a problem getting into the parking lot due to police, fire trucks, and 2 ambulances clogging up the lot, seems someone OD'ed in the stores bathroom, this has become a mundane everyday happening still via the constant ambulance sirens screaming up and down the main state road 1 block from where I live. Nothing new as with being a grey haired senior in this lovely state that we are the 'Free Cash ATM' to all young and old.

The main new aha is Dollar Tree has become the new playground for unsupervised children.

"Don't worry about the oil running out, worry about the food running out"
Professor Al Bartlett PhD (emeritus 1923-2013)
Contributor

I'm 63, retired Jan 2020 and my wife was already retired.  We are currently using our bank savings to live on and we are doing just fine.  We have no debt except credit card which we pay off every month.  We started using our 1 credit card more often last month instead of our debit card with the idea we would be getting cash back, and we do.  Today I asked the credit company to increase our credit limit, but they only take into consideration our annual income which is very low.  My plan is to live off our savings, 401k, etc and not take social security till 70.  I have a small Air Force pension, but that certainly isn't enough to live on, and as I discovered today is the only asset they care about, so I was denied my request to raise our credit limit.  I currently have excellent credit, so the denial came as a complete surprise.   I want to get a new car next year and I'm concerned I won't qualify for a loan with such a low annual income.  I would rather not pay cash for the car.  Will I face the same problem going for a car loan or lease?  

Periodic Contributor

Do you know what your social security will pay monthly today? Because if you're not working you are missing out on the income to forgo a larger paycheck at 70. How much income will you lose over the next 7 years to get 132% of income. Also keep in mind that you can turn on and turn off your social security. For example, you could collect 1 year of social security to get a me car then turn it off so you can continue to raise your social security percentage.

Honored Social Butterfly

@RonO805672 wrote:

. . . .  Also keep in mind that you can turn on and turn off your social security. For example, you could collect 1 year of social security to get a me car then turn it off so you can continue to raise your social security percentage.

Depends on one's FRA - if less than FRA, you have to pay it back if you want to cancel (withdraw) it after starting.  

After FRA you can suspend them until 70.

The Balance 12/04/2021 How to Stop Social Security Benefits

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stop by to read the comments and/or add a comment.
Social Butterfly

@Anonymous  Continue to evolve, explore, question, experience and always maintain your sense of curiosity.  One of the most fascinating things is what makes people tick?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rhymesometimes wrote:

@Anonymous  Continue to evolve, explore, question, experience and always maintain your sense of curiosity.  One of the most fascinating things is what makes people tick?

💥Thank you @Rhymesometimes for stopping by to join our discussion 😁💥

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lots of Aha Moments out there! 😁
Super Contributor

Your world can get very small if you do not make plans.  Also, people no longer engage you in conversation as much and you can end up feeling invisiisble.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@s804940b wrote:

Your world can get very small if you do not make plans.  Also, people no longer engage you in conversation as much and you can end up feeling invisiisble.

💥So true @s804940b 💥

Super Contributor

There is the problem!  Some of us were too busy paying off mortgages, taking care of children post divorce to make plans.  I was taught a strong work ethic and that is what I did.  Friends (closest ones) and family have died.  It is not exactly uplifting or inspiring.  I am only 6 months in to retirement, but I know I will eventually find my way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

💥Saturday - June 12, 2021💥

Had one this week. It finally occured to me that I can keep sitting around while the dump I live in gets condemned or I can move before it does. So I am moving to Melbourne, Florida to join my darling daughter!! Going to rent a Tiny House finally.

Super Contributor

My Sister lives in Melbourne and loves it there.  Gated community with only over 55's.

Contributor

How did you find a tiny house rental?

Social Butterfly

@Anonymous I'm busier now than when I was working ( but with fun stuff )   ---  Christine

Anonymous
Not applicable

💥May 19, 2021💥

Awesome @Rhymesometimes 😉

Bronze Conversationalist

My first aha moment came after I was laid off in 2012. I worried about finding another comparable job possibly working for a company I wouldn't like as much as the one I had just left. It was a great company to work for with great managers and coworkers. I had several more years mapped out in a spread sheet with personal days I would take off for birthdays, filling out the days off for major holidays or to coincide with my wife's Spring breaks from teaching school. I also had vacation weeks planned to keep from losing any accruals, while I kept a mind to retire after that time with several weeks on the books to give me a boost into my retirement.

I worried and lost sleep for 2 days after being reduced in force. On the second day, I realized that I was in a position to retire.

Aha!

I was laid off in May, but I claim the middle of June that year for my official retirement since that's about when my accrued vacation time, which they cashed out upon my leaving, would have run out if I had taken the time off work as regular vacation.

My second aha moment was more of a gradual realization over time. Like so many others I have heard of, I finally started to wonder how I ever found time to work for anybody else at 40-plus hours per week. My to-do list (procrastination list?) has only grown since I retired.

Even so, I consider this to be the best job I've ever had.

Aha!

Stay well and enjoy!

Lynn

Anonymous
Not applicable

💥May 18, 2021💥

Lol @Brightpool I luv your note about your Procrastination List 🤣😂 Glad things fell in place for you!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

💥May 18, 2021💥

I had one yesterday. Instead of throwing my cell phone on the floor in total FRUSTRATION, I went ONLINE to read up on how to TROUBLESHOOT it. So PROUD of myself!!! Lol, use to hate YouTube, now I go to it to learn stuff. 🤣😂

3eno3g.jpg

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP