Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Rich Men North of Richmond by Oliver Anthony

Honored Social Butterfly

Rich Men North of Richmond by Oliver Anthony

Heard it first at gop convention, and then ai really listened to it on repeat to listen to the lyrics. Admit I’m an old folky back to Guthrie both and The Weavers.And Older Country Hank Williams and Willie Nelson.

What I heard and read in lyrics actually hit me, different than what the GOP seemed to hear , or the message that Oliver Anthony was sending out to all.

Two links with luck one to Richard Tyler Cohens account and one to Oliver’s you tube  . or Instagram account.

First Cohens account on YouTube.

Rich Men of Richmond, VA 

Next Oliver’s page

Rich men of Richmond 

What are you hearing to me it had nothing to do with politics in general , alright some. But, hit squarely on the problems in this country. I actually joined in chats where I haven’t been in a while .

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Fair warning to some if easily offended might be 8 common use bit’s of expletives in lyrics. But, ai think he hit the nail squarely on the head.👍

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

I listened to the song and read the lyrics @Frozenoem .

In spite of the profanity it reminds me of the song For What Its Worth by Buffalo Springfield.

I doubt it will happen with this song, but I was in a school choir that sang For What its Worth at our Spring Concert.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Sounds like a frustrated (po'd) everyday citizen of the U.S. to me...More of an Everybody's Anthem than any particular group's anthem.

Profanity aside the lyrics are so generalized that to claim they are more offensive or more favorable to one group than another serves as an advertisement of one's own personal prejudices.

Honored Social Butterfly

@EricC28201 

After first 20+ years here discovered profanity is sometimes a no no with bleeps. May be aging less than Gracefully but, thought we were allowed, some words back in ‘72 with monologue of George Carlin on same, went to FCC .

Song was not about profanity but, more like old songs from pre-60’s and later years. Heck, there are times my playlist is on Iron Butterflies, and Old Pete Seeger and Woodie Or Arlo Guthrie.to Rap, Hair, Jimi finally digitized my albums, cassettes and 8-tracks, CD’s  only took 60+ years.When the Sansui or Marantz is flipped on , neighbors scatter.or congregate near the Saras Tower of Power or Sansui quad’s. Despite being in a former stronghold of GOP.

It stirred my soul and memories that hasn’t happened since Pianocean and perhaps some John Prine, eclectic mix.😎

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP