Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Medicare Annual Wellness Visit Required by Law?

Message 1 of 6

@GANS1110  not (yet) required by law but it is a good idea to have an annual exam.

Bark less. Wag more.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

I never heard of the wellness visit being mandatory, but I suppose it's a good idea. Doesn't amount to much though. They listen to the heart, look down your throat, look in your ears, that's about it. Some exam !  I made an appt. for a physical exam, expecting blood tests, pap smear, etc. ( first full physical in years). All i got was a wellness exam-again. Dr. said she'd skip the pap smear, because 'women my age rarely get that type of cancer'. Think she skipped everything else, too. Some doctor ! I'm in the market for another medical professional-IF I can find one.

Sandee2
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@CindyV865042

Right, not mandatory but is it informative to your Medical provider?  How better for your doctor to find out about you and keep down medical cost than ask questions and make note of the answers.

It is Preventive Medicine and includes lots of stuff that could have a bearing on your risk factors.  Sounds like you had the HRA - Health Risk Assessment.

These are all the Wellness visits that are either covered by Medicare or not, written as directions to the physicians from CMS - from coding to what is or is not covered by Medicare.  Very informative -

Medicare Learning Network - Annual Wellness Visits Booklet

If it is a joke, perhaps we need to get Medicare to stop paying for them and just do like other medical providers do and give you a form to fill out before your visit - on your own time and nickel.  Problem is, it is for all Medicare beneficiaries and many of them cannot fill out a form by themselves.

Do you not believe in this sort of Preventive Care, i.e. cutting down on the risk before something bad happens whether or not that is getting a person wear a helmet while ridong a bike or getting their blood pressure taken or taking a detailed family or medical history?

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

I had this last year thinking it was mandatory - which I now know IT IS NOT. It was the biggest waste of my time! It's more like a survey. Ex.: do you wear a helmet when riding a bike? do you have safety handles in your tub or shower? do you wear a seat belt while driving? do you know the ratio of fat, protien and carbs in your diet? It was ridiculous!!!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

I transitioned to Medicare last summer, and never heard of any mandatory screenings, nor do I intend to have any.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Medicare Annual Wellness Visit Required by Law?

Message 6 of 6

Trying to determine if medicare patients have the right to refuse the annual wellness visit or is it mandated by law?

Kudos
Views
Replies