CLOSE ×

Search

Any Other British TV fans out there?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any Other British TV fans out there?

Lol, binge watching in between falling asleep ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

Recognized Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ“บ  Who Said It Quiz: Miss Scarlet and The Duke Edition (PBS)

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/who-said-it-quiz-miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-edit...

0 Kudos

๐Ÿ“บ  MASTERPIECE to Air Mr Bates vs The Post Office (PBS)

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/masterpiece-to-air-mr-bates-vs-the-post-office/

0 Kudos

๐Ÿ“บ  10 Questions for Rachel Shenton - Masterpiece, All Creatures Great & Small (PBS)

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/all-creatures-great-and-small-s4-10-questions-f...

0 Kudos

๐Ÿ“บ  15 British Shows That Make American TV Look Second-Rate (startefacts.com)

https://startefacts.com/news/15-british-shows-that-make-american-tv-look-second-rate_a119

0 Kudos

๐Ÿ“บ  Mr Bates vs The Post Office, the biggest British TV drama in years, comes to Seven and 7plus | 7NEWS!

https://7news.com.au/entertainment/tv/mr-bates-vs-the-post-office-the-biggest-british-tv-drama-in-ye...

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

(Sunday 2/11/24)

Well TONIGHT is the "last" episode in the season for Ms. Scarlett and the Duke!!!  ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Lol, now to make sure I DO NOT "miss" it...

Honored Social Butterfly

Yes, I love British TV. Here are some of my favorites.

The earliest shows that I remember were the British comedies on PBS - Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served?, Fawlty Towers, As Time Goes By. Then there was a โ€œdramedyโ€ series called Monarch of the Glen, set is Scotland, that I really enjoyed.

Then came the crime dramas (usually on Masterpiece or Masterpiece Mystery), Sherlock, Foyleโ€™s War, Endeavour, Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, Broadchurch, Agatha Christieโ€™s Poirot, DCI Banks, Midsomer Murders, The Bletchley Circle, Grantchester, Father Brown, Van der Valk (2020), Baptiste, Miss Scarlet and the Duke, and more.

Dramas and period shows - Poldark, Downton Abbey, Call the Midwife, The Crown (Netflix), The Last Kingdom (Netflix), The Musketeers (Netflix), All Creatures Great and Small, The Durrells, Hotel Portofino, Bleak House, The Forsyte Saga, The Hollow Crown (Netflix), Lark Rise to Candleford, and lots of other period dramas.

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix

(Saturday 1/13/24)

Oh YES, you are a FAN!!!  Thanks for your list @MaVolta , I am going to check it out. Hyacinth in Keeping Up Appearances was a HOOT/lol  ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ  Poor Richard...

[โœ  @MaVolta wrote:

Yes, I love British TV. Here are some of my favorites.

The earliest shows that I remember were the British comedies on PBS - Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served?, Fawlty Towers, As Time Goes By. Then there was a โ€œdramedyโ€ series called Monarch of the Glen, set is Scotland, that I really enjoyed.

Then came the crime dramas (usually on Masterpiece or Masterpiece Mystery), Sherlock, Foyleโ€™s War, Endeavour, Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, Broadchurch, Agatha Christieโ€™s Poirot, DCI Banks, Midsomer Murders, The Bletchley Circle, Grantchester, Father Brown, Van der Valk (2020), Baptiste, Miss Scarlet and the Duke, and more.

Dramas and period shows - Poldark, Downton Abbey, Call the Midwife, The Crown (Netflix), The Last Kingdom (Netflix), The Musketeers (Netflix), All Creatures Great and Small, The Durrells, Hotel Portofino, Bleak House, The Forsyte Saga, The Hollow Crown (Netflix), Lark Rise to Candleford, and lots of other period dramas.  โœ]

Periodic Contributor

We don't have Netflix, so we miss out on those, but we've watched pretty much all of the ones you listed. One that we are currently enjoying is The Yorkshire Vet. We love it because it's like a sequel to the All Creatures Great and Small series and is set in my mum's old home town.

(Saturday 1/13/24)

@gr6124 , I am really ENJOYING the "new" season of All Creatures Great and Small and have a PBS reminder set. Not fond of TV in retirement, but they have caught my interest. I watch it on my Android. Have not owned a TV for years. Boring...

[โœ  @gr6124 wrote:

We don't have Netflix, so we miss out on those, but we've watched pretty much all of the ones you listed. One that we are currently enjoying is The Yorkshire Vet. We love it because it's like a sequel to the All Creatures Great and Small series and is set in my mum's old home town.  โœ]

(Sunday 1/7/24)

Reruns of Sherlock Holmes - NEVER tire of him  ๐Ÿ‘

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am British but my husband is American, and he already loved to watch All Creatures Great and Small before he even met me. He's read all the books and we even visited James Herriot's home and surgery on one of our trips back home. We also love As Time Goes By, and most of the English Detective stories: Morse, Endeavor, Masterpiece Mysteries etc. We love all the old comedies. The Call Me Cat series with Mayam Bialik is based on the Miranda comedy that DeahWA was commenting on earlier, but nowhere near as funny (in my opinion).

Trusted Social Butterfly

There was a science fiction series, Blake's 7, that I enjoyed watching in the 1980s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake%27s_7

It was about seven people who escaped a prison ship to another uninhabited space ship that was better than anyone else's.  They were freedom fighters against an oppressive government.  But it had one of the worst endings of any series.  The oppressive government won in the end.

Periodic Contributor

Ooh, I had forgotten about this one. Thanks for reminding me.

Bronze Conversationalist

There was a British comedy called Miranda a while back that was off and on funny, if you get British humor, which often I don't. But it had one wet-your-pants-laughing-so-hard episode called Just Act Normal in which Miranda and her mother are mandated to a therapy session. If you've ever been to therapy, if you've had a less than ideal relationship with your mother, you have to watch this. It's viewable free on Amazon Prime:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/amzn1.dv.gti.34b4a28d-98f5-3663-ed52-f5039294c035?autoplay=1&...

Conversationalist

I think I mentioned this show elsewhere on the AARP site, but if you have Netflix, there's a Scottish show called "Still Game" which I like a lot. It's about a group of Scottish retirees ("pensioners"). The language can be a bit...salty, but it makes me laugh.

But โ€” very important! Watch it with the subtitles on. The accents are very thick.

And a guilty pleasure: "Toast of London." Also on Netflix. The main character, Stephen Toast, is a struggling actor in London. The language on that show would make a sailor blush. I've watched the eighteen episodes of "Toast" over and over because they make me laugh very hard.   

But it may not be for everyone!

Info Seeker +

I have seen all of "Still Game" and loved it. I probably watch as much if not more British TV than American, especially with streaming. I'm a huge British detective fan. Even if you don't stream there is a lot of stuff on Youtube. You can watch that on the website. There's a great old three season show called "The Detectorists" about two guys who's hobby is looking for ancient coins and other historical objects in the area where they live in England. If you are into British film and tv you will recognize the actors. Great show. 

Super Contributor

I will definitely check out Toast.  You sound like me.  I've watched One foot in the Grave so many times I can say the next line before the characters do.   Also,"Last of the summer Wine" is one I would have never expected to like.  But the music at the intro and the scenery are beautiful.  It ran for 35 years and is very popular in the US now.  And by the way all of these shows can be watched on youtube free.

Super Contributor

watch Still  Game often on amazon prime.  It does take some getting used to before you start understanding what they are saying but that is part of the fun.  
once you get to know the characters it's kind of hard not to keeping going back to see the next episode.

Another show is "Vicious". It's a comedy about to old gay men who are partners living together. It has it's moments but the characters aren't very appealing.  There's no sex in it except that both of the old guys are hot for the young man, Ashe, who lives in an apartment  near them.  I tried but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Trusted Social Butterfly

You might enjoy Derry Girls on Netflix.  The following is my favorite scene where they have a wedding dance to Rock The Boat by Hues Corporation.  It's a real thing in Ireland.

Conversationalist

I keep seeing this pop up on Netflix. May have to check it out now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aruzinsky wrote:

You might enjoy Derry Girls on Netflix.  The following is my favorite scene where they have a wedding dance to Rock The Boat by Hues Corporation.  It's a real thing in Ireland.

๐Ÿ’ฅLol @aruzinsky ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’ฅ

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AvocadoDog wrote:

I think I mentioned this show elsewhere on the AARP site, but if you have Netflix, there's a Scottish show called "Still Game" which I like a lot. It's about a group of Scottish retirees ("pensioners"). The language can be a bit...salty, but it makes me laugh.

But โ€” very important! Watch it with the subtitles on. The accents are very thick.

And a guilty pleasure: "Toast of London." Also on Netflix. The main character, Stephen Toast, is a struggling actor in London. The language on that show would make a sailor blush. I've watched the eighteen episodes of "Toast" over and over because they make me laugh very hard.   

But it may not be for everyone!

๐Ÿ’ฅThanks @AvocadoDog ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’ฅ

Trusted Social Butterfly

I think I watched every episode of Dr. Who but it is getting too liberal by making him a transsexual woman.  I should have seen it coming with the spinoff, Torchwood, which I stopped watching because I couldn't stand the large amount of homosexual propaganda.   I also watch BBC news.  Fawlty Towers was very funny.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aruzinsky wrote:

I think I watched every episode of Dr. Who but it is getting too liberal by making him a transsexual woman.  I should have seen it coming with the spinoff, Torchwood, which I stopped watching because I couldn't stand the large amount of homosexual propaganda.  Remarkably, the Conservative Party is on a roll in England.   I also watch BBC news.  Fawlty Towers was very funny.

๐Ÿ’ฅHi @aruzinsky I have never watched Dr. Who. Lol, yes, Fawlty Towers kept me giggling! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

Honored Social Butterfly

Not much for British TV except for one person that needs no words to describe him because he uses few words:

MR. BEAN

Trusted Social Butterfly

Benny Hill

Periodic Contributor

Mr. Bean and Benny Hill are some classic, witty, British comedy series. Also funny is "Keeping Up Appearances".  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aruzinsky wrote:

Benny Hill

๐Ÿ’ฅHi @aruzinsky never watch him. Thanks for stopping by to join our discussion ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’ฅ

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP