Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Who is Your Best Friend?

If you’re like most people, you turn to your friends for support during emotionally painful times in your life. Those close relationships might help you tolerate more than just breakups and bad bosses. Check out what this blog says about new research that suggests that your network of friends can help you tolerate physical pain, as well. Visit AARP® Staying Sharp® for more brain health information.

Recognized Social Butterfly

You are your only Best friend 

Racquel Evans
Social Butterfly

You can only have one "best" friend.  If there were more, they wouldn’t be "best".  My best friend is imaginary.  We always get along!

Periodic Contributor

Since I live so far away from and not many people left from my family, I rely heavily on my friends. We would go out to eat to "catch up", attend some events together, etc. Unfortunately, covid killed off most of my relationships. My friends (50s-60s-70s) are too afraid to go out. Being home all the time, they say they are "too busy". We tried a few zoom sessions (mainly around our birthdays) but eventually that fizzled out too. And frankly, I"m tired of being everyone's "secretary" and doing ALL the planning. The phone, zoom, email WORKS BOTH WAYS. If my long time friends can't be bothered, then why should I do all the work? So right now I'm just doing things for myself, BY myself. I can make myself happy. Dancing is getting started again and I'm going out to have fun!

Gold Conversationalist

I've never met a "friend".  A friend is someone who actually cares.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I'm fortunate in having two women I consider my best friends.  First is my cousin who used to sit on my knee when she was a toddler and I was twelve.   She's now 70 and I'm 82.  She still lives in New England and I now live in California.  Thanks to the internet, we write to each other every day, and we talk about anything and everything.  Second is a younger women who lives in the same town as I do. When I was president of the local garden club and needed a volunteer to set up a web page, she volunteered.  That was 17years ago and we've been best friends ever since.  We also correspond daily even though we live in the same town.  Between the two of these wonderful women, I never feel at a loss for someone to talk to, and to listen to.  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP