Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Take a Hike!

You may already know that walking is good for your heart and builds up bone strength. But are you aware that it may also help your brain block out distractions and keep you focused? Read what researchers say are the benefits that even a 10 minute stroll can have on your health. Visit AARP® Staying Sharp® for more brain health information.

Contributor

I walk several times a week in local county/city parks.  It's not hiking-level activity, and it does not have the scenery I would like, but it's healthy.  As for my favorite hike, that was (many years ago) in the Ruby Mountains of Nevada.

Bronze Conversationalist

My wife and I love to hike the forest trails. It is such a great way to communicate while getting exercise. We enjoy the scenery, get to talk about things going on in our lives, and enjoy the workout. It sure beats working, although I got a ton of exercise doing that for 31 years.

Periodic Contributor

1. My husband and I visited Sedona this week-we love it there and hike a different trail every day!

@AARPMaggie wrote:

You may already know that walking is good for your heart and builds up bone strength. But are you aware that it may also help your brain block out distractions and keep you focused? Read what researchers say are the benefits that even a 10 minute stroll can have on your health. Visit AARP® Staying Sharp® for more brain health information.

Periodic Contributor

I just got back from a beautiful walk at Grandview Park, part of the New River National Park.  Lots of flowers, amazing views, and not too many other people. 

Conversationalist

This is where I've been hiking lately — Corriganville Park in Simi Valley, California.

corriganville.jpeg

This is about as green as it's going to get, I suspect. It's only going to get dryer and yellower as we move further into spring and summer.

It has some history as a movie location going back quite some time, but its most recent claim to fame is standing in as Spahn Ranch in Tarantino's "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" (2019).  

Community Manager
Community Manager

😍😍😍

Social Butterfly

I enjoy nature by taking a walk out to the backyard patio and having a cold one.  🍺

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm a big fan of hikes! I live in the city. Getting out and into nature is a welcome respite, and it's a great way to get some exercise and steps in! Last weekend, we went hiking in Maryland and brought our dog, Riley, along. She also loves the woods. We found a little stream and she plopped right down into it. Her face here sums up our feelings on hikes well 💜😊

Riley hike.jpg

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP