Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Bronze Conversationalist

Pfizer, Moderna, et al

Some of us have been chomping at the bit to get the vaccines. If you're like me, you even missed announcements they were available for age 70+ until it was almost time for 65+ to be included.

Luckily, after being told by my local health department that February was all filled up and we couldn't do anything about it until March, or so, an opening came up for last week and I signed up for Pfizer and got my first shot on Sunday (2-21), after a snow day made them postpone from last Wednesday (2-17). Since my wife is a teacher, she already had her second Moderna shot through her school district a week and a half ago.

My wife's first dose gave her a sore arm near the vaccination site and little else. The second one gave her more of a rash on the arm and soreness, along with slight body aches and not much else.

My first dose of Pfizer this weekend gave me some overall discomfort and tenderness in the muscle where I received the shot, but I've had worse experiences with my first half-day of a cold. On Sunday, about 6 hours after the shot, I had some slight body aches, which were in no way debilitating. The body aches disappeared within 2 or 3 hours and I felt fine. I had a lighter reaction and for a shorter time toward evening last night after not noticing much during the day.

I heard from one of my cousins that her first Pfizer dose was not too bad, but the second one was a doozy, so I shouldn't plan anything for 2 or 3 days after that one.

From what I've read, some react more than others, but nurses and doctors all seem to agree that the heavy reactions are good because they indicate that the body is working hard to build up immunity.

My cousin and I agree, along with many others, that the reaction to the vaccine is well worth it against the specter of coming down with COVID-19.

When you get the chance for your vaccine against the coronavirus, even if you have to dig a little or make daily contacts with the health department or whomever to get signed up, do it! That's rule No. 1. Rule No. 2 is that if you get Pfizer or Moderna or another one that requires two doses, be sure to sign up for the second round before you leave the building from your first one.

Stay well and enjoy!

Honored Social Butterfly

Just an update since I received my #2 Moderna jab a couple of days ago.  A little soreness at injection site like with the first one, only this time it didn't seem as bad.  Other than that, no additional side effects with the second dose. 

Definitely have not thrown all precautions to the wind, but feeling good about being fully vaccinated. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Good to know - finally snagged me an appointment - after everybody was caught up with their 2nd dose.   I had to wait til after the 1st rush because I had just had my last Shingrix vac and had to wait.  By that time, everything was booked solid for awhile.   I go 03/09 and then I have the 2nd appointment already made. 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 , I still need to get my 2nd Shingrix shot (got the first in October), but because there is a longer grace period for that one and the COVID vaccine became available, I put the shingles shot on the back burner.  Probably get that one end of the month.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

I guess money was my motivator - didn't want to have to pay ANOTHER 2020 co-pay for the 2nd Shingrix.  Plus when I got the 2nd Shingrix at the very end of 2020 - I had no idea that the covid vaccines would be arriving so soon.  After all, it was "government" - still Pres.Trump government ๐Ÿ˜€

Glad I am now inline to get it but I will tell you it was an internet chore - since I did not want to go to one of the mass vaccination sites - they are all too far and too much traffic for me.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Update, Wednesday evening, 3rd day after the vaccine:

I have had a light general malaise each evening since the injection. Today, my body aches started in the afternoon and made me go to bed for a nap at about a quarter to 4. My wife has suggested each day that I can expect the discomfort in the evening for a few days. So far, she's right.

Stay well and enjoy!
-Lynn
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your stories @Brightpool and @MsStretch. Glad you are both fully or on your way to being fully vaccinated!

@Brightpool, you may find this article helpful: When Your Second Vaccine Dose Packs a Punch

Let us know how your second dose goes!

Honored Social Butterfly

I got my first Moderna on February 4 and received vaccine card and appointment for booster on March 4.

I checked with my state's (VA) health website regularly to stay updated and filled out a form for notification when it became available for 1b'ers (65+).  When I received the notification email directing me to a link to sign up for an appointment immediately, I did so and scored a slot. 

I had some soreness of the arm (like someone punched me in the arm), but by the next day it was fine.  Maybe a week later, it was sort of itchy and when I looked, I had a small yellow bruise which I hadn't even noticed before, but it was healing.  All good.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP