Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How Many Steps per Day are Enough

Message 21 of 39

Yes indeed, you are so correct. Biking is such a pleasure compared to stationary bikes, please do more of it! Running as a senior will run heartrate up to big numbers also, get a fitness watch and heart strap like Garmin...then you can accurately track your progress. I love my Garmin. I am 66 & in great shape thanks to my bikes.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 39

@nyadrn wrote:

@Epster  Great story And thank you for sharing it.

The 10,000 steps a day walking goals and programs are followed by thousands of us! It is one of the most successful programs out there with thousands of us wearing our trackers and sharing our goals and progress through walking groups and online social media sites!

This program has been a huge success in getting people going. I love it and will continue to follow it along with other health related activities. ❤️

Once you you get to 10000 steps a day, you have committed to working out regularly in a way that fits your lifestyle.  Many do add more activities at that point because they are then able to.  But the regular monitored and shared counts are the foundation and it is a successful one. All those people wearing trackers could be sitting on the couch.  

@nyadrn Right. No quibble with the program's ability to get people started. Not one quibble.

But I didn't return to fitness until I started working out like a senior athlete (and then, amusingly enough, I became one! Smiley Happy)

It is not enough to walk 10,000 steps. You must exert yourself in order to gain muscle. You must change your diet in order to attain metabolic health.

And I must get my fanny out to the bike trail in order to burn off another 3,000 calories today! Smiley Happy  Woo hoo! See ya!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 39

@Epster  Great story And thank you for sharing it.

The 10,000 steps a day walking goals and programs are followed by thousands of us! It is one of the most successful programs out there with thousands of us wearing our trackers and sharing our goals and progress through walking groups and online social media sites!

This program has been a huge success in getting people going. I love it and will continue to follow it along with other health related activities. ❤️

Once you you get to 10000 steps a day, you have committed to working out regularly in a way that fits your lifestyle.  Many do add more activities at that point because they are then able to.  But the regular monitored and shared counts are the foundation and it is a successful one. All those people wearing trackers could be sitting on the couch.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 39

Yes, please keep taking those steps. But know that 10,000 steps a day (that's about 5 miles a day) had me looking like this:

me Fern Lake trail 2015.jpgMe 2 years ago: 10,000 no sweat steps a dayI was 56 years old, had gained weight due to the perfect storm of menopause and a couple of years of debilitating leg and foot injuries. At this time I was walking 3.25 community miles every day, plus another 2 or 3 miles running our hillside farm AND taking 6-10 mile hikes or bike rides on weekends. While my vitals were perfect, my weight was way up, and my body fat was embarrassing. 

I wanted to get back into shape, but clearly the 5 miles a day (10,000 steps) were not working.  So, I switched up my exercise routine. I began walking 4.5 community miles at a heart-pounding pace, got a hula hoop, hand weights, an ab roller, a magic circle, a mini trampoline and a recumbent trike and slowly, built up to where all exercises combined, I was working out to the tune of 900 minutes a week. (That's an average over 2 hours a day, most of that on 4-5 hour weekend trike rides.)

Also importantly, I have, in this past year, changed my diet. My portions are reduced and I have reduced carbs while increasing the fruits and vegetables I eat.

And this is what I look like now:

me Black Friday 2017.JPGMe: Black Friday 2017; working out to sweat every dayI've lost 55 pounds since I started working out hard enough to sweat and to raise my heart rate. My vitals are still perfect, btw, but now my risk of developing heart disease, breast and other cancers, diabetes, et cetera, are greatly reduced as my waist now measures less than 30 inches. (The new fitness standard for women)

I'm not espousing opinion here, I'm telling you what I have experienced. I did this with the help and support of my DH, but otherwise did not follow any program or plan. I simply decided I didn't want to live in pain, that I wanted to remain prescription-free and as healthy as possible for as long as I possibly could. Smiley Happy

Here are a couple articles about 10,000 steps to consider:

Why 10,000 Steps A Day Won't Make You Thinhttps://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2014/05/21/why-10-000-steps-a-day-wont-make-you-...

What Walking 10,000 Steps A Day Does And Doesn't Do For You (hint: it doesn't change your diet) https://www.inbodyusa.com/blogs/inbodyblog/99465793-what-walking-10-000-steps-does-and-doesn-t-do-fo...

Bottom line: yes, start moving! Get moving and keep moving. Make friends with sweat and don't let your diet undo all your good exercise work! Smiley Happy

I wish everyone embarking on a fitness program absolute joy and success! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 39

j490036w wrote:

I  heard that 10,000 steps are enough so I set my fit bit for 10k and that's what I do every day but Sunday 

Hi @j490036w

How long have you been doing the 10,000 steps?  Have you noticed any change in your health? 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 39

I  heard that 10,000 steps are enough so I set my fit bit for 10k and that's what I do every day but Sunday 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 39

leslye1949 wrote:

I have always been told 10,000 steps, however I set my vivofit for 12,000 steps.  I rarely get there since I retired.  Most days I walk for 30-45 minutes, and I eat really healthy food.  Having said that, I am overweight, and slowly losing pounds.  Exercise and diet go hand in hand.  My problem is portions.  I love food, so cutting down on portions and eating five times a day instead of three helps me lose weight as long as I keep walking.

@leslye1949  Good for you going for the 12k.  I agree that it may be harder to do 10k easily when you are not working.  I have been off for some weeks and saw the difference between the activity level you take for granted vs what you need to do when your routine is different.  

Thanks for sharing.  Do you do your walking at one time or broken up?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 39

@leslye1949 wrote:

I have always been told 10,000 steps, however I set my vivofit for 12,000 steps.  I rarely get there since I retired.  Most days I walk for 30-45 minutes, and I eat really healthy food.  Having said that, I am overweight, and slowly losing pounds.  Exercise and diet go hand in hand.  My problem is portions.  I love food, so cutting down on portions and eating five times a day instead of three helps me lose weight as long as I keep walking.

@leslye1949  Good for you! Keep it up and you'll get there. We find that using smaller dishes really helps with portions. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 39

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 39

@annles12 wrote:

I decided once I hit 80 years of age, 7000 steps a day was enough but sometimes I just happen to hit 10,000. 

Wow @annles12  that's great!  How long have you been counting steps? and what do you use sto count them?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark