Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

๐Ÿค— WE are thinking of YOU! Please Stop By To See Us :)

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿค— WE are thinking of YOU! Please Stop By To See Us :)

โ–ถ๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

WE cry, rejoice, talk, share!

Whatever YOU need, WE are here for YOU.

***YOU are a very SPECIAL person and WE want to hear from YOU***

Grief & Loss Team ๐Ÿค—

Silver Conversationalist

Beatle how are you doing today? Please drop by and let us know. Thank you!

Esteemed Social Butterfly

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Nicole, lonely, nosey AARP member here. I'll take your trash to the dumpster.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

Periodic Contributor

@SummerIsTooHOT wrote:

(8/4/23) WE cry, rejoice, talk, share!

Whatever YOU need, WE are here for YOU.

***YOU are a very SPECIAL person and WE want to hear from YOU***

Grief & Loss Team ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿค—

Hello, AARP member, I lost my family and look for AARP members as friends. I support AARP foundation.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Welcome Ralph.  You have a new family here.  I, too, lost three members of my family and this site and the loving people here have helped me day by day.  There is no time limit for grieving.  Each person is different.  What is important is that you take a small step EACH day moving forward.  Some days you take one step forward and two back but you just keep trying.  It has been 8 months for me and I can say that there are actual days that I am not crying.  Grieving is a process.  I have felt guilty that my husband, son and brother died within months; why not me?  This site taught me that I AM ALIVE, and am entitled to making the best of it.  You are not alone Ralph.  Welcome to the Family!

Kudos
Views

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

Conversationalist

YOU have made my Friday!  I am SO GLAD that you are back.  Luv ya.

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you for all the kudos!! Sleep well ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ˜ด

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I woke up this  morning and saw the emails from you.  I thought "That is not my Nicole!!!! is it?"  I quickly went to the Grief & Loss site and YES IT IS!!!!!!!!  I am writing this between crying and laughing.  I am so HAPPY that you have returned to us.  You have put so much time into this site with all your love, care and devotion.  I felt that YOU were the GLUE that held me together along with many others.  Thank You for coming back to us.  

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

Silver Conversationalist

Celebrate @SummerIsTooHOT the benefits of being 65. You have earned them! Finding a doctor and dentist are positive steps toward taking care of yourself so good for you!

Marcy

Kudos
Views

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

Honored Social Butterfly

So glad to see you back @SummerIsTooHOT  I knew you would return! ๐Ÿ’œ

Trusted Social Butterfly

I have had a little hiccup in my life with health issues and are addressing them to get back to healthy again..I find that i fall off the wagon eating wise when I get anxious...I am addressing things that have to be fixed around the house and sometimes that along with the day to day running of it can be over whelming..So take it one day at a time and one step at a time..no need to rush unless it's a major issue...I find that there are days when one slips back emotionally and I let the tears flow and go on from there..I still have to find that inner source of strength some days to get things done. Otherwise I'm okay knowing that there is help if i need it..This hot weather hasn't been good for any outside activities as the humidity brings every thing to a stand still ..Hopefully the weather will become that one can deal with it..Life still goes on so I make the best of it any way I can...

Conversationalist

Jonibee I truly understand what you are going through.  When my husband of 62 years passed away in October everything in my home began to break!  Having focused on him in home hospice care every day for many, many months I guess I did not pay any attention to anything else.  First my washer, then my stove top, dryer, oven, hot water heater, windshield of my car, electric panel (I am not exaggerating!! )  I was at my wits end and feeling hopeless.  Marcy, along with many others on this site walked me through these disasters and I took one step at a time.  I stopped getting so angry and upset and focused on doing what was necessary to resolve the problems.  I have learned a lot during this process and am now quite proud of myself in feeling that I have accomplished something.  I think we are so vulnerable during this time of grief that these things are just the "straw that breaks the camel's back" but we need to pat ourselves on the back realizing that we are doing it and to be proud of our accomplishments.

Silver Conversationalist

I hope you're feeling better Jonibee. Getting through all these things can wear you down. Taking time to build yourself up is a good idea. Take care!

Silver Conversationalist

In the words of Franklin D. Roosevelt, "A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor." You @jonibee encounter the rough seas, recognize them, and find ways to get through them the best way you can. Thinking of you and wishing you calmer waters ahead!

Marcy

Regular Contributor

I AM STILL IN A FOG.....WRITING IN MY JOURNAL HELPS...AND I hope to be more involved in others Grief & Loss  to help us move forward.....GOD help us all........

Silver Conversationalist

Sounds good Carol. You have a nice day now!

Silver Conversationalist

Hi @CarolD435501 . Embrace the FOG. Your loss is so new that this is a way your body can protect you. Since you mentioned that writing in your journal helps, there is a book Mindfulness & Grief by Heather Stang and you may want to check it out. It is an 8-week program that incorporates mindfulness, meditation, and journal writing. It gave me a focused task to do each day and a sense that I had accomplished something.

Strive to take care of yourself physically, emotionally, and spiritually and know that you are not alone!

Silver Conversationalist

Hi Carol. So nice to hear from you here. Expressing your thoughts and feelings in a journal is an immense help and path to emotional well being. Plus it's your own little place to put your innermost thoughts. And track your progress. Keeping up with things on a daily basis helps to feel grounded in the present day. One foot in front of the other, works. You will feel better soon. Don't forget to eat little meals or snacks throughout the day to keep depression at bay. Thank you for sharing Carol. The people here can help you!

Trusted Contributor

Going pretty well for me given the time so far.  I'm able to do most things and talk about my wife's passing more easily but still get choked up.  I think progress is finding less tissues in the washer :).  I'm still reading books on grief to understand it.  For me, learning about it does not reduce the pain or the time but at least I know it normal etc. I started talking to a counselor who's pretty good. I was skeptical at first since she is younger than youngest child (26 vs 28) but so far she's helpful.  I just settling in for a long journey.  I did realize that talking to my Dad who's almost 90 about my situation was not helpful so we talk about other things.

Take care, Bill

Silver Conversationalist

It sounds @BillH490171 that you are making progress. However we reach an understanding that we are not crazy and what we are feeling is normal is a giant step in the grieving process.

Marcy

Trusted Contributor

Marcy, thanks for the kind words and you are correct.  We need to realize, understand, and acknowledge our new lives.  It tough because in many cases, our lives were pretty good. We did not ask for this change but have the sole responsibility to get through it.

Slowly learning about grief, Bill 

Silver Conversationalist

Bill, you hit the nail on the head. And why this site is so helpful. The focus is on the loss and grief process. Whereas talking to family or the very elderly can have a scattered focus. They have their own issues to deal with, and though perhaps have dealt with loss, it's not an issue for them in the present time. Counselors are a good idea. At 73, most everywhere I go these days people are younger than me  lol. One of my adult children is a kayaker. Kayakers are generally friendly and invite solo kayakers to join them on the lakes etc. Getting out like that is a refreshing respite from the pain of loss. 

Conversationalist

This site has changed.  It is simply a "shell" of what it was.  First, we are attacked by a person that belittles us for grieving and then we lose the one person that kept us together as a group, checking on us each day and finding ways to cheer us up.  You can see that no one is interested in being on this site any longer.  It is sad that the one place we felt safe is now one we avoid.

Silver Conversationalist

Cadee how are you? Please let us know!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

AARP Memorial Day Membership Sale

More From AARP