Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Today's Hurdle FAQs

What is Today’s Hurdle?

Today’s Hurdle is a fun, tough twist on Wordle, the popular word-guessing game. If you’ve been caught up in the word-game craze, you’ll love the challenge of Today’s Hurdle!

How does it work?

In Today’s Hurdle, you’ll get six tries to guess a five-letter word. Start by guessing any five-letter word. When you submit it, you’ll see some letters receive a yellow background, and some letters receive a green background.

If the background is green, you’ve guessed the correct letter in the correct spot. If it’s yellow, that letter exists somewhere else in the word. Try to figure out the correct word before using all six tries!

How is Today’s Hurdle different than Wordle?

The basic rules, above, match up with Wordle. But Today’s Hurdle separates itself by offering five puzzles every day.

When you get your first puzzle correct, the final word will pre-populate as the first “guess” of the next puzzle. For instance, if the answer to the first puzzle is “ocean,” the second puzzle will begin with “ocean” already in the first guess. If any of the letters in that word match with the new answer, you’ll see them with yellow or green backgrounds.

Today’s Hurdle has an extra challenge if you get to the fifth and final puzzle of the day. If you’ve guessed all four puzzles correctly, the fifth puzzle will begin with the first four guess slots filled in with the answers of the previous puzzles. That means you get just two guesses to beat the game!

How can I get more points?

The scoring in Today’s Hurdle breaks down like this:

• 1,000 points for completion of a puzzle
  • 100 points for each unused line

If you finish a puzzle on your fourth guess, you’ll have two unused lines — which means you get 1,200 points!

These rules are the same for all five puzzles — no one puzzle is more important, score-wise, than the others. However, you get an extra bonus for finishing the fifth puzzle. You still get 1,000 points for solving the puzzle, and 100 points if you have an unused line. This time, though, you’ll get 4,000 additional points for winning!

How often can I play a new game of Today’s Hurdle?

A new suite of puzzles will become available every day!

Can I play all five puzzles if I don’t solve one?

No. If you can’t solve one of the puzzles within six guesses, you get a game over for the day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Social Butterfly

@DeniseL834804 , you can do several things besides search. The game is listed in the Games section (not here in the community forum - didn't know where you were searching). The main side bar menu reached by clicking the 3 bars with "Menu" under it at top left. Scroll to "Games", click that and it takes to the listing for all Games. At "Word" games grouping click "View More" . That takes you to all the Word game listings and Today's Hurdle is there.

Also, at the bottom of this all games listing page is a "Recently Played". This shows you 3 games that you have recently played. If you haven't played too many games, the Today's Hurdle" link may be there from the day before.

Easiest way is to bookmark this game or your other favorites by whatever method your browser uses. Here is the url link to "Today's Hurdle".

https://games.aarp.org/games/todays-hurdle 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Trusted Contributor

Is anyone else having a problem seeing their statistics after playing? This started this week, I think. I finish the game, and the statistics page blinks for a second and then goes away and I get a blank patch where it was. I like seeing my stats! This is very annoying!

Contributor

Same here - using Safari on my iPad. Last screen with score show’s briefly than goes away. 

Regular Contributor

Yes, I am having that precise problem.  Based on the other comment, I think this may be a Firefox problem.  Is that the browser that you're using?

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I do use Firefox.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am seeing the problem now, despite using the Chrome browser.  What is different is that I'm now logged in to my AARP account, as opposed to NOT being logged in while playing.  Does that account for the difference?  I wonder ...

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Ah, you could be right -- when I tried it on Chrome (instead of Firefox), it worked for me, but I wasn't logged in.  So yes, maybe being logged in is the problem, not which browser one is using.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

But if you are not logged in, will it show you your past history? By that I mean, how long your streak is, which is primarily what I am interested in.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I'm thinking that there was a recent web design update that is malfunctioning here.  The scoring box is almost instantly converting to an advertising box/space and omitting scoring details.  It would be really nice if the web designers of the page were aware of the problem and moved to fix it.  If you opt to avoid the issue by NOT logging in, you do lose the details of the stats you achieved while you were previously logged in.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I'm not having trouble when I use a Chrome browser with Hurdle -- though I am recently finding that the AARP page view is very sensitive to slight movements of my cursor when I'm playing Mahjong Solitaire. Very slight movements of the cursor when trying to adjust/scroll my screen view end up triggering a hyperlink to some other web page, making it necessary to   hunt/peck to find my way back to the game.

0 Kudos

Same, it’s been happening for a number of weeks

Periodic Contributor

perfect score in hard mode of hurdle is 16,200 pts. for an example, answers for april 26,2023 were as follows: byway,cheap,ridge,fungi-wonky- there are perfect scores posted- i would like to know the odds of an individual guessing exactly the correct responses formally cited- there is obvious cheating occurring (not hard to do) & these perfect scores should be discarded. 

Contributor

So sad that all these pathetic old farts cheat, and they think they have people fooled. The odds of getting them all right on the first attempt is astronomical. My high score is 10,100, and I enjoy doing it everyday. I don’t mind being called an old fart at 68, but I’m not a pathetic dishonest idiot.

Regular Contributor

I so totally agree with you!  When the odds are such that NO ONE should be able to attain a score of 16,200, that score should be disallowed.  I used to see a particular player always scoring 10,800 which is a perfect score in the easy mode.  I kept thinking that she must not know about hard mode because she was getting a perfect score but had to be wondering how others were getting better scores when she was getting all the words right with one guess each.  Then one day I logged on to play (I tend to play between midnight and 1 a.m. and she apparently does as well because I always saw her with that 10,800 score) and there she was at the top of the list with a 16,200.  She'd found hard mode.  She and others with that score can't possibly think that other players think they're really that good; that have to know that we know they've figured out how to play twice so they know all the words.  Is it really cheating?  Personally I think it is because the game is intended to be played just once a day by each person.  It's gotten to the point that if I play later than usual, the top 10 scores are often 16,200 and it's depressing to see that the day's game is already dominated by cheaters.

Contributor

Is there an easier way to get to the game then going through the search function? Why don’t they just put it in the games section?

Regular Contributor

It is in the Games section.  It's under Today's Hurdle.  T ... not H.

Social Butterfly

@DeniseL834804 , you can do several things besides search. The game is listed in the Games section (not here in the community forum - didn't know where you were searching). The main side bar menu reached by clicking the 3 bars with "Menu" under it at top left. Scroll to "Games", click that and it takes to the listing for all Games. At "Word" games grouping click "View More" . That takes you to all the Word game listings and Today's Hurdle is there.

Also, at the bottom of this all games listing page is a "Recently Played". This shows you 3 games that you have recently played. If you haven't played too many games, the Today's Hurdle" link may be there from the day before.

Easiest way is to bookmark this game or your other favorites by whatever method your browser uses. Here is the url link to "Today's Hurdle".

https://games.aarp.org/games/todays-hurdle 

Hope this helps.

Regular Contributor

I would really like a response to my question about how people are scoring higher than the scoring system permits.  Please respond.

Contributor

You must do 2 things. First, you must solve the puzzle in a different browser where you are not logged in to AARP. Then you know the answers. Second, login to your AARP account and go to Today's Hurdle. In settings, turn on Hard Mode to get a 1.5 point multiplier. Then complete the puzzle with the correct answer as the first guess for each puzzle.

That sounds like cheating to me!

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

It is if you believe that it's cheating to play a game multiple times when it's intended to be played only once by each person.  I agree that it sounds like cheating.

Regular Contributor

Then how is it possible that the top scorers each day have 14,000+ points?

Hi, @r767831w, thanks for your question. Anyone scoring above 10,800 is playing in Hard Mode. In hard mode your score will be multiplied by 1.5 so the highest score is 10,800 * 1.5 = 16,200 points.

To enable hard mode, click on the "hamburger" menu in the top left corner, click on Settings and enable the Hard Mode.
Hurdle Settings | Hard ModeHurdle Settings | Hard Mode

Periodic Contributor

if 16,200 is the highest score, then how did KarenF338251 get a score of 52,075 today?  

Hi, @SuzanneC518698, thank you for taking the time to post! I'll have that erroneous score removed.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

If erroneous scores can be removed, can't impossible scores also be removed?  We all know it's impossible to guess five random words with one guess per word.  You could probably guess the last word in one guess if enough letters have been revealed.  But the first four?  Not possible!  Can't those impossible scores be removed?

Conversationalist

Please note that when clearing your AARP cookies, your Hurdle settings revert back to Regular Mode. So, remember to re-enable Hard Mode before starting another Hurdle session.

Regular Contributor

Gotcha, thanks!  Suggestion:  Put that info in your directions on how to play and score points, so people don't come away thinking that others must be cheating.

Contributor

Well, people scoring 16200 are playing the game using multiple logons - not sure if you consider that cheating or not, but it is funny the effort people take to get their name on the leaderboard.  Also, if you search "Arkadium Game Scoring", you can find a description on how each of their games are scored.

Periodic Contributor

To get 16,200 points, you need to guess every word on the first guess. Some of the words have no clues. So, it would seem virtually impossible to guess every word.

However, the rules mention "Gems", which can provide clues. That could be the answer. How does one get a Gem?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP