From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: The Magnolia Tree

Message 61 of 76

P.S.   I wonder if it's time for the movies that I wrote 3 scripts about to come to the screens?

I think it will take a Steel Magnolia to do this one.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 76

Lydia,

That's what I am talking about. Informed "Steel Magnolia"!

Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 76

Okeedoke, Hubert!   You set forth the challenge and ya made me hafta go look!  But here's what I found out....

Some southern women are called, from time to time, "Steel Magnolias."   A "steel magnolia" is a woman who posses the strength of steel, yet the gentleness of a magnolia.   A southern woman who is strong and independant yet very feminine.  It's origin is a combination of the contrasting images of "steel", a hard metal, and "magnolia", a flower.

Mary Kassian,  a blogger wrote, “Steel Magnolia.  I love the phrase because to me it speaks to the essence of womanhood. The image melds beauty with perseverance, softness with backbone, delicacy with durability, sweetness with stamina." 

And I say, "What a beautiful description!"

Remember:

Steel Magnolias...The Movie

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 76

Ok, I have a question. Why is southern women called "magnolias"? Where did this saying come from?

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 76

Ms. Soosie,

Can you post a picture of your magnolia tree?

Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 76

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for the great information on the magnolia tree.

I also found that - "Found in the rocks are fossil leaves of many trees and shrubs that show very little difference from the leaves of such plants today: oak, walnut, hickory, grape, magnolia, palm and many others."

You have shown great insight and knowledge. I hope others can see the beauty in them. Not to put one tree above another because they are all God's creation.

Keep up the find work. Thank you AARP for helping us to take it to the next level. 

Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 76

Did you know?

There are around 210 species of magnolia that differ in size, shape, color of the flower and type of habitat. Magnolia trees originate from Southeast Asia and North America, but they have been naturalized to almost all continents in the world because of their beauty. Magnolia usually grows on acidic soils that are rich in nutrients, in areas that provide enough moisture and direct sunlight. It is often planted in parks and on the golf courses because of its ornamental morphology and ability to provide shade. Unfortunately, some species of magnolia are facing uncertain future due to habitat loss as a result of increased human activity.

And.......

Magnolia has dark green, oval shaped leaves that are covered with layer of wax. Leaves are evergreen.

Color of the flower depends on the species and it can be white, yellow, pinkish, purple and green.

Flower of magnolia has pleasant scent that resembles the smell of tropical fruit.

Magnolia blooms from April to June. First flowers develop seven years after planting.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 76

Lydia, Just breath taking!!! (live)

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 76

Thank you Hubert.   Enjoy God's gift today!

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 76

Hi Lydia,

Wow!!!!!!! What a beautiful flower. I called you Joyce by mistake before, sorry. I see now Joyce Kilmer wrote the poem "Trees".

Mr. Kilmer was right in writing, "Only God can make a tree".

Hubert G. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors