Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Living wills/Power of Attorney/medical proxy

Message 11 of 22

You can address this with an Advance Directive and it can be done at any age. In the Durable Power of Attorney (DPA) for Health Care you stipulate whether you want an Advance Directive and whether that should include a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate). As long as the individual you designate to represent you has been advised your DPA will include this information. I highy recommend https://willing.com/ to prepare your documents as they provide a simple step-by-step approach and it is very affordable.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you have a question about legal documents as a caregiver? Ask our expert.

Message 12 of 22

If you have financial responsibilities spelled out in the POA then yes, you can write checks as long as your name is also on the checks. If you have just health care POA then no, you do not have that authority.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you have a question about legal documents as a caregiver? Ask our expert.

Message 13 of 22

I was told that AARP help you find housing and employment. Are there any truth to this?

Thks,

BC

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 22

I am a caregiver for my 86 yr-old mother who has late stage Alzheimer's Disease.  She's needed 24/7 care for the past two years now, so I live in her home as well and have not worked other than helping her.  I split the caregiving with a privately-paid aide, and use my mother's retirement funds and SSI to cover all expenses, as this is very costly, year after year, especially for the health needs and special equipment that my wheelchair-bound mom requires.    I haven't yet applied for Community Medicaid, but I plan on doing this next.  While I do not wish to be a paid caregiver under Community Medicaid, as I hope to return to work, I would like to hire another aide to take over in my absence.  I would like to get a legal caregiver agreement (a.k.a long-term care personal support services agreement, elder care contract, or family care or caregiver contract) that stipulates that I be compensated for time/hours I will have to continue to provide, given she is unlikely to be approved for 24 hour care via Medicaid, and given all the work that I would still need to do like shopping, home maintainence, ordering supplies, coordinating medical appointments, cleaning, etc. 

Questions: Do I need a lawyer to prepare this binding contract?  (Note: My sister and I are co-POAs who can act independently.)  What is the approximate cost of this contract?  Can the contract still be done given my mother at this stage would not be able to participate in agreeing to it?  Where does the money come from to fund compensation since her SSI and IRA monies go toward homecare and overall home expenses? (In other words, can the money to fund this come from her irrevocable trust?)  Is the contract compensation taxed like ordinary income via payroll deductions or is it considered like 1099 income?  Thank you for your help and expertise.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 22

I am POA if a person.  She wants to give money to charity.  Do I have Power to write checks to those charities for her as she cannot write checks.  I have a letter signed by her years ago that states it is all right for me to write checks to 3 different charities, and letter signed by her

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Living wills/Power of Attorney/medical proxy

Message 16 of 22

I'm 60 years old, never married, no kids, and still working. I'm in good health, and plan on working another 5-7 years at my job before retiring.  At what age do I give someone power of attorney, and the power to make my medical decsions if I am not able to?  When should I sign my house over to someone else, to prevent takeover of my property by NY Stagte, should I need to go into a nursing home?

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Caregiving Expert Series: Legal and Financial Affairs 3/4-3/29/19

Message 17 of 22

@RozelleA93580 

Thank you for your question!  We have moved your question into the weekly discussion on legal questions.  Amanda will answer your post during the week of March 25-30.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 22

@jerih879875 

Thank you for your question.  I have moved the question into the weekly topic and it will be answered by Amanda during the final week - 3/25-30.  

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you have questions about Living Wills or Advance Directives? Ask our Expert.

Message 19 of 22

My husband passed away about 2 years ago.  We have a Living Trust and Wills - is it necessary to now have a new trust/will drawn up for myself as a widow?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 22

My husband is in a Nursing Home and is on Medicaid.

I am his spouse or wife and live in our home.

I have a pension but the home is getting expensive

and want to sell and live in a less expensive place.

How do I go about this?

Medicaid said the home belongs to them.

I still have a mortgage that has to be paid.

[Email address removed from public view for your online safety]

Kudos
Views