Catherine Alicia Georges Named to Family Caregiving Advisory Council - Give her your feedback here!

Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Catherine Alicia Georges Named to Family Caregiving Advisory Council - Give her your feedback he

Message 11 of 16

Catherine i am retired but have a full time job , taking care of my self and my wift, 9 years with Parkinson and 3 yrs with lung cancer, she is going ok , but i know what it feels like , when you can't get any help. sometimes when we are  in the donut hole , her meds cost around $400.00 per mo. i don't have any extra money but i can call and mail people. Jim

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Catherine Alicia Georges Named to Family Caregiving Advisory Council - Give her your feedback he

Message 12 of 16

Hi Catherine, I am 61 years old & a full time custodian at a school. I am also a full time caregiver to my spouse of 35 years. He is the love of my life and 64 years old, who came down with Relapsing/Remitting MS 15 years ago. I am finding it extremely difficult to carry on life the way it is, so I have decided to retire from my employment next year to care for my husband full time. I wish I could get paid for my caregiving, yes, I realize my husband could pay me out of his disability check, but that would be defeat the purpose of getting paid & maintaining our bills.  Spousal caregivers work very hard at trying to maintain every aspect of the home, property, relationship, bills, & self sanity. Also, depending on where you live, depends on the services that are available. There needs to be a better way to care for those who can't take care of themselves & still carry on. We've worked all our lives & looked forward to our retiring days & MS has just kicked us to the ground. Life is hard enough.

Helena Smith-Franke

Springdale, WA 99173

hsfwildtrax@gmail.com

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16

Could you set up a list of gerontologists that one can go to when they see problems developing?  I live in Fredericksburg,VA and have no idea where to go as i see the beginning of dementia.  I know there should be help but where?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16

In Wyoming and maybe Montana, there are few places for respite care and when we need it, it is expensive. It would be nice to use Medicare for 1 or 2 days a yr. My 92 year old mother is living with my husband and myself. She has not been in the hospital for the last 4 years because I take care of her meds. I did put her in respite care for 5 days while I had my hip replaced.  It is hard taking of her needs every day. My stress level is high and Then I get sick. If there is anything you can do to get just a small respite for caregivers, it would be very helpful.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 16

I have been caring for my wife for the last 32 years. She had a massive brain stem stroke and was in the hospital for 5 months. I quit my job after 38 years to take care of my wife due to the cost of help. We raised 3 great kids and now have grandkids. I love my wife dearly, but could use some time off now and then. Is there a place I could find help for a couple of day at a reasonable cost. She needs help several time a day for different functions. We live in Montana.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Catherine Alicia Georges Named to Family Caregiving Advisory Council - Give her your feedback here!

Message 16 of 16

What caregiving problems are you facing with your loved ones? What questions and concerns would you like me to bring to the Family Caregiving Advisory Council?

Catherine Alicia Georges would love to get information from you that she can share!  Post today!

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors