Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Summertime often means taking breaks and planning vacations. Both of these can be a bit tricky while caring for a loved one.  Have you traveled with your loved one recently or are you planning to?  

Share your experience here and you will be entered in our Caregiving Summer Contest 2018 and could win one of the weekly $100 gift cards or a chance for the overall winning prize of $500 gift card. Your story may be advice or inspirational!

Review rules here:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Caregiving/AARP-Caregiving-Summer-Break-Contest-2018/m-p/2023713#M67

AARPTeri
Contributor

hello
Contributor

That's great! We are all taking turns this summer to visit my father in law in Florida who doesn't travel anymore. The summer is a great time to relax and catch up with him!

I find when my elderly parents and I travel we try to stop to eat early to help avoid the lines and make sure they do not run out of something we want.  It is also easier without a lot of crowds.  Always make sure to ask for early check in and the handicape room.  There are also usually special offers for senior citizens at the different attractions.  Just always make sure to call ahead so you do not have to wait. This will help your trip run much smoother.

i want to be an airborne ranger

This summer was amazing, spending everyday with Grandmother and Aunt who are unfortnately disabled, but this has not been a impair to our fun fulfilled summer we have had so far. We enojoy everyday outside enjoying nature at parks while accomanding to my family needs. We ended our summer night with great story and laughs after spending time talking with one another.

wonderful

Your post is heartwarming. Too many times the wheelchair bound do not have access to areas that others do. That you would go the extra mile to make sure that your loved one could still be apart of your vacation is an inspiration and a lesson that should be learned by all who bear the challenge of having a loved one who is mobility challenged. Thank you for posting this. 

Periodic Contributor

I took care of my mom for 12 years and I did absolute everything and worked 40 hrs a week,too.I loved my mom dearly and that's why I  did what I did.She was a nurse for 34 years.Then she  got worse and was diagnosed with  cancer and I definitely  told the doctors,my can't  do  any kind of chemo.She is not eating and no .I am going to  take mom home and be on comfort care.And that's  what I did.She was comfort and did not suffet.But I miss my mom dearly  and she was a great mom.I miss my mom.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP