Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Money Saving Hacks

Share your tips and tricks for saving money.

For example, I like flavored water without sweeteners or carbonation but the price of bottles at the store just keep going up and up with fewer sales.  I was in Walmart and saw a mainstays wide mouth mason jar infuser lid for $1.50 (less than the cost of one premade bottle).  I add water to a large mason jar, put some frozen fruit, usually purchased on sale, in the infuser and leave it in the refrigerator overnight.  Not only do I have cheaper flavored water but I can make my own flavor blends. 

What are you favorite quick and easy ways to save money?

Kudos
Views
Replies
Trusted Social Butterfly

I Like this topic.  I was raised by parents and grandparents who remembered living through the great depression.  Waste not want not was more than a quote from Poor Richard's Almanac.

Many of the bottles that personal care products are sold in are standardized.  I have a cap from an empty shampoo bottle that fits the bottles of lotion I buy.  When the pump starts doing that spitty thing I replace the built-in pump cap with the shampoo cap and stand the bottle upside down for a day or two.  Then it's ready to be added to its replacement...just pour it in.  (Got the idea from when I bussed tables in a coffee shop as a teenager...the waitresses did the same thing with ketchup bottles)

Periodic Contributor

Another tip is to make sure I'm not throwing out product just because the container doesn't make it easy to use it all.  Hand lotions in pump bottles make it difficult to use all of the lotion.  When the pump stops dispensing lotion, I'm often able to cut through plastic bottles to get to the remaining lotion.  In a large bottle, the remaining amount can be several ounces.  (It isn't cheaper to buy large bottles if much of the product is thrown away.)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP