Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Hartford Raised Auto Premium 45%

We have been with AARP for several years and decided a few years ago to switch auto insurance to Hartford because of their affiliation with AARP.  For no apparent reason Hartford raised our auto insurance premium 45% this time around.  Can AARP help us with this problem?

Contributor

Same experience with Hartford. There initial insurance (auto) quote was the same as most others; now they have increased my premium by 35%. Where's the discount? Oh! just in advertising.

Same concern here.  Went with to Hartford because of affiliation with AARP and the associated good rates.  Hard to believe the AARP members with this insurance has had enough claims to warrant this size of increase in premium.  This does not reflect well against AARP in my opinion. How are our benefits being protected as members?  We need the clout of AARP to determine if this is justified and if AARP needs to be shopping this benefit to other auto insurance companies.

Contributor

Mine just went up 40% with no changes, tickets or claims! When I chatted with them they basically said tough luck, nothing they could do about it! In Arizona the average increase is 9% this year, but they could not explain at all why they have to increase by 40%!

Regular Contributor

Hi @WayneF254394! We certainly understand your concern regarding AARP Auto & Home Insurance provided by The Hartford. We would be glad to work with the Escalation team at The Hartford to have this investigated for you. To do this, we will need more information. At your convenience, please use this link (https://help.aarp.org/s/) to contact us by phone, chat or text and provide the following:

- AARP membership number (or home address)

- Best email address & telephone number

- Description of your issue

- Please mention that you are requesting an Escalation or assistance from AARP regarding this issue.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I think the only thing that will correct this is for people to go elsewhere this year. We would have preferred to stay, but ridiculous rate increases for no legitimate and/or sound reason forced us to look elsewhere. The Hartford reached out and asked us to complete a survey on why we left so I happily completed it. One of the final questions was to ask if we'd be back. I said maybe. I liked being part of The Hartford. I didn't like being taken advantage of by The Hartford. The only message that will make them understand is losing customers. 

I think a good message to deliver would be for AARP to perform an insurance carrier assessment/valuation and determine which carrier will provide the best value for it's members.  That is what I expect from AARP.  Viewing the number of complaints, I would have thought this would already be done.  Your thoughts, AARP?

Our Hartford rate went up 27% for a 6 month policy, that's 54% annually which is and should be unsustainable for most AARP members. As far as this rate hike from  Hartford and their business plan  AARP needs to reassess their relationship and quit promoting it.

Richard Schonder # [MEMBERSHIP # REMOVED]

Regular Contributor

Hi @SuzanL826921The most recent term increased was most due to a rate revision The Hartford implemented in all states. We asked that members contact The Hartford directly to go over any options that will be available to help offset the cost. If this is related to an auto policy, there’s been a increase in supply chain issues, labor shortages, and the frequency and severity of car accidents. These trends, combined with medical costs continuing to soar, have caused the price of most accidents to rise. It was necessary for The Hartford to increase their prices to keep up with the costs for repairing or replacing damaged vehicles and helping to indemnify those harmed in losses. There may also be specific factors that may cause a member's policy to increase such as a change in age, your driving record, how your vehicle is used, your vehicle symbol and coverage limits, loss of a discount, and any other changes made to your policy.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This is not enough action on the part of AARP.  Members are reporting increases in the 45 to 75 percent range over 12 months.  This is unconscionable.  I moved my policy to Hartford in 2023 in no small part because of AARP's good name and endorsement.  Now my policy has increased 62% over 12 months.  Is this not a classic definition of bait and switch?    AARP fix this!!

Honored Social Butterfly

@MartynP267354 wrote

AARP fix this!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What do you think they can do ?  

Not considering what you are paying, are you still getting the discounts and benefits which they { Hartford } have documented for AARP members - inclusive of the footnotes ?

The Hartford - AARP Auto Insurance Program From The Hartford

AARP - Membership Benefits - Auto and Property Insurance 

AARP DISCLOSURE

[ see bottom of page ] 

DISCLOSURES

AARP commercial member benefits are provided by third parties, not by AARP or its affiliates. Providers pay a royalty fee to AARP for the use of its intellectual property. These fees are used for the general purposes of AARP. Some provider offers are subject to change and may have restrictions.

*Your savings may vary. Rate difference for AARP members and non-member vary by state and AARP membership tenure. †Terms and conditions apply. 

State Availability

Not available in U.S. territories: Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands. Accident Forgiveness and Disappearing Deductible are not available to CA policyholders.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

What can AARP do?

Well after a little digging and some conversations with people at Hartford what AARP could do is make the online defensive driving class available to all members without charge.  This would result in an ongoing discount from many auto insurers. 

If AARP truly has member's interests front and center, this could be a simple and effective gesture with widespread effect. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I think AARP needs to decide where their loyalties lie - either with their membership or their relationship with Hartford.  If its with the AARP membership, then immediately terminate all endorsement of Hartford and completely disassociate the use of any AARP relationship. Perhaps the loss of up to 40 million referrals would hurt Hartford where they would feel it in their stock price which has seen a market beating increase from approximately $70 to $100 over the past 12 months.  It would at least give Chris Swift their CEO something to explain at the next shareowners meeting unless of course he is too busy counting his approximately $14,000,000 in compensation.  

Community Concierge

We're sorry to hear you’re having trouble with The Hartford, @MartynP267354. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

They JUST renewed their affiliation in 2020 to 2033 

Hartford News Release 06/02/2020 - The Hartford And AARP Agree To Extend Auto And Home Insurance Pro...

I have asked several times how these increases are being applied - is it collision, comprehensive or the reduction of other discounted benefits like disappearing deductible or something else similar, etc.  I have yet to get anybody to tell me.  

Do people opt for these savings measures?  Like payment in full instead of installments?  Or New car replacement?  

Heck, is this happening based on where some people live?  Traffic, car thefts. the replacement and repair cost of autos - especially those of the newer variety with all the technology - 

Good grief, it cost a mint to even have a windshield replaced because each car is different in their glass tech.

All I know for sure is that ALL auto insurance cost have gone up for many reasons.  If you want bare-bones you can find it but then are you covered adequately?  

Community Concierge

We're sorry to hear you’re having trouble with one of our benefit providers, @GailL1. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

At this point in time, I would imagine AARP is already very familiar enough with the problem of steeply increased auto insurance premiums from The Hartford. It's one thing to listen to members, it's a related but separate thing to do something about the problem. What is AARP doing about the issue beyond increasing its awareness? What is AARP doing to help its members about this issue? 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

We're sorry to hear you’re having trouble with The Hartford, @VintageDrummer. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Dear AARPConsumerCare:
Prior to posting here in the Community I had already spoken to an AARP Representative. The response was unacceptably bureaucratic, i.e., I was supposed to open a case, wait up to three days for a response, etc. In other words, going down a rabbit hole of AARP wanting to deal with the problem on a 1:1 basis. That's not a good strategy at all. I would bet there's a very large number of AARP members impacted by The Hartford's rate decision. You, your fellow team members and executives higher up in the AARP organization are presumably already aware of the problem (if they're not, then AARP has an even bigger problem). I would think that the purpose of AARP is to serve its members, not partner insurance organizations. I'm not hearing of any push back by AARP on The Hartford. 

In sum: You, Member Relations and hopefully senior AARP executives are likely already aware of the very excessive rate increase. My prior two fundamental questions still stand: "What is AARP doing about the issue beyond increasing its awareness? What is AARP doing to help its members about this issue?" Individuals opening chats with the Member Relations team is avoiding addressing a problem that you're already aware of. I'm sorry but it's a complete waste of time for individuals to follow that advice. If The Hartford is not positively responsive, maybe it's time for AARP to change who it partners with or for members to explore other alternatives for their insurance needs?

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@VintageDrummer I can understand your concerns. At this moment we only work with The Hartford to provide car insurance to our members. Please know that AARP is always working to identify discounts and other member benefit opportunities that meet the wants and needs of our members like you. Our Member Relations team act as liaison for AARP service providers. Each scenario is different and we want you to get all the answers and assistance you need, that's why we're asking you to reach out by chat, text, or phone so we can get all the details while protecting your personal information. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Diana, thank you for your reply.

There’s little more to say that would add to what you already are aware of concerning The Hartford as an insurance Service Provider Partner. I have already spoken with AARP support… it’s a bureaucratic rabbit hole insofar as this insurance problem is concerned - it doesn’t help. That conversation was a total waste of my time.

One key takeaway is that AARP seems stuck in a helplessness leadership mode. Pushing for Members to chat with support persons fixes nothing. AARP already knows there’s a serious problem. It’s now up to executive leadership to quickly find a solution in a way that’s transparent to Members. 

So, no, I’m not going to speak further with your support team. What I am going to do is evaluate alternative auto insurance. Same for renewing my AARP membership. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@VintageDrummer wrote

What is AARP doing to help its members about this issue?

——————————————

What issue?  You can change your policy to another carrier at any time.  I really do b elieve that many folks here have a somewhat skewed idea of what “value” might means in benefits.

Determining whether or not a product or service - including all types of insurance products - is a good value is a personal decision and an individual’s specific circumstances have to be their measure.  

AARP has nothing to do with premium setting by any type of insurance that bears their branded name.The branded name is just a way for the organization to collect revenues over and above membership dues - to use for the greater good of certain members of society as a whole which is their mission. 

The AARP Mission Statement.

Our mission is simply to enhance the quality of life for all as we age. We champion positive social change and deliver value through advocacy, information and service and we do it on the national and at the state level. The vision that drives us is a society in which all people live with dignity and purpose and fulfill their goals and dreams.”

Read the disclosures on any of their branded insurance benefits - they all say about the same thing in their disclosures.

AARP.org- Insurance Benefits

This one is from The Hartford Auto Insurance as an example:

DISCLOSURES

AARP commercial member benefits are provided by third parties, not by AARP or its affiliates. Providers pay a royalty fee to AARP for the use of its intellectual property. These fees are used for the general purposes of AARP. Some provider offers are subject to change and may have restrictions.

*Your savings may vary. Rate difference for AARP members and non-member vary by state and AARP membership tenure. †Terms and conditions apply. 

What does AARP Do?

from the link:

AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that advocates for more than 100 million Americans over age 50, helping people turn their goals and dreams into "Real Possibilities" by changing the way America defines aging.

We work to strengthen communities and promote the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare security, financial security, and personal fulfillment.

Complementing our parent organization are three other entities supporting our mission:

• AARP Foundation works to ensure low-income older adults have nutritious food, affordable housing, a steady income and strong and sustaining bonds.
  • The Legal Counsel for the Elderly is our second affiliated charity, championing the dignity and rights of seniors in Washington, D.C.
  • AARP Services, Inc., is a wholly owned taxable subsidiary performing quality control oversight of the wide range of products and services that carry our name and are made available by independent providers as benefits to AARP members.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I'm already aware of the tenets AARP subscribes to and appreciate the organization's advocacy efforts.

However, your reply makes AARP sound passive and powerless with respect to leveraging to provide better Member value with those it partners with for business purposes. AARP provides The Hartford with ready access (of a sort) to millions of AARP members and receives a royalty in return. That's a business transaction. Perhaps that royalty increases with insurance rate increases? Or maybe it doesn't.  How transparent is AARP about such? The phrase "Cui Bono" comes to mind: AARP? Business Partners? Members?

And, of course, Members can turn elsewhere beyond AARP's "Providers." 

And, just as Members can switch who they conduct business with, AARP could seek a replacement for The Hartford - for example, a Provider who is much more Member centric.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@VintageDrummer, I've replied to your other post. Thanks. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/18/24) I agree @MartynP267354  👍

[*** MARTYN @MartynP267354 wrote:

I think AARP needs to decide where their loyalties lie - either with their membership or their relationship with Hartford.  If its with the AARP membership, then immediately terminate all endorsement of Hartford and completely disassociate the use of any AARP relationship. Perhaps the loss of up to 40 million referrals would hurt Hartford where they would feel it in their stock price which has seen a market beating increase from approximately $70 to $100 over the past 12 months.  It would at least give Chris Swift their CEO something to explain at the next shareowners meeting unless of course he is too busy counting his approximately $14,000,000 in compensation. ***]

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/18/24) @MartynP267354 , AARP is not going to "fix" the issues with Hartford. All they do is post they HEAR the complaints!  😎

[*** MARTYN @MartynP267354 wrote:

This is not enough action on the part of AARP.  Members are reporting increases in the 45 to 75 percent range over 12 months.  This is unconscionable.  I moved my policy to Hartford in 2023 in no small part because of AARP's good name and endorsement.  Now my policy has increased 62% over 12 months.  Is this not a classic definition of bait and switch?    AARP fix this!! ***]

Periodic Contributor

Increase in supply chain issues? for what? Computers, copy paper, paper clips? I just got off the phone with Hartford because our rate was unjustifiably increased by 27%. I was told it was a rate revision that not only each state, but also AARP approved. I understand (and even expect) it if there were claims involved on individual policies, but to do a blanket increase because the insurance company may have had to make a few more payments than they're used to is unconscionable.  

It was laughable to get my policy renewal statement where The Hartford was so excited to tell me "congratulations, you've earned 450.00 off your collision dedcutible with Disappearing deductible!" only to find out the premium increased by $407.00!  After almost 10 years with The Hartford, I will now spend an inordinate amount of time researching alternatives. 

Periodic Contributor

Hi @dw22859371. Here to help! We certainly understand your concern regarding the rate increase on your automobile insurance with The Hartford. We would be glad to work with the Escalation team at The Hartford to have this investigated for you. If you are still having difficulties with The Hartford, please either give us a call at 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) to request an Escalation or send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, “AARPMariamaA” into the “Send to” box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage . Please provide the following details in your message:

• Full name
  • AARP Membership # (or home address)
  • Phone # and email address to contact you
  • Description of your issue

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Sincerely,

Mariama A.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have tried several times to send you a private message but each time I enter your username, the Send to box goes blank. I clicked on the link you provided and then copied and pasted your username to ensure it was correct. I also tried entering it manually.  I don't know what else to do. I'm happy to provide the info you requested via email if that works for you. But time is of the essence. My policy renews 11/1/23 and I have already begun a conversation with another insurance company.  Thanks 

Regular Contributor

Hi @dw22859371! I'm sorry to hear that there seems to be an issue with the link that was provided. Please use link ( https://help.aarp.org/s/ ) and scroll done to contact us by phone or chat to provide the information that is requested. Once a case is created, a representative will be able to assist you. Thanks

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you! I used the chat to get this escalated.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP