Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What are your emergency plans?

September is National Preparedness month. Created by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in 2004, it serves as a reminder that we all must take an active role to prepare for the types of disasters and emergencies that could affect us where we live, work and visit.  Our Rewards Connect page (https://www.aarp.org/rewards/connect/) has some great Q&A with a FEMA expert.

Do you have a plan in place? Have you a ready-packed โ€œgo-bagโ€ or emergency kit? Whatโ€™s your communication plan? Share your tips or ask questions of others here!

Here is an additional great article on how to prepare for fire, hurricanes and other emergencies.

Not sure where to start when packing an emergency kit? Check out this list of essential items in the time of Covid-19.

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

Having: first aid bag, water, flash light, fruit, matches, candles, blankets, a change of clothes, letting family know ahead of time where I'll be. Try to be calm and staying focused.

We have 72 hour kits, which we change out as needed. A great first aid kit, with hand warmers and instant ice packs. Clothing, changed by the season. Water for cleaning and drinking, one gallon per day per person. Cleaning supplies, soap, disposable washcloths, towels, etc.

In our vehicle we store a little propane cooker with the pans and utensils to cook with. Eating utensils and plates and cups. These come in a package we purchased several years ago. 

Blankets are in the vehicle, used to cover the seat until needed. 

Toilet paper and some type of cleansing wipes, change out to be sure they are moist when needed.

We keep batteries and radios stored there also. 

I know that sounds like a ton to store in a truck, but ours has a storage area under the back seat which fits most everything but the water. Including some tools. Most important is the food storage which is in small packages and good for 25 years. 

We know where to meet our family if possible, and they are prepared also to the best of their ability. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Yes indeed.  If Donald is re elected I'm swimming across Lake Ontario and hide in Canada

0 Kudos

I woke up at 5:30 Friday morning to the blind homeowner that I take care of screaming fire!!! As I got dressed and ran upstairs and got him out of the house the fire department showed up and put out the fire thank God. Now he being the homeowner should have had insurance but he doesn't!! After pulling him out of the fire I was able to salvage some of my belongings but not much. The American red Cross paid for a hotel room for three nights for me but after that I'm looking at homelessness for the first time in my life. I'm a 52-year-old man who just applied for his disability if anybody can point me to any resources in Jefferson City Missouri I would be more than grateful my name is Christopher Reynolds my email is.. creyn68@gmail.com i wish i had a plan. I have no family, i was an only child. And this is a situation i am very much afraid of with winter coming fast. To be pointed in a direction that has a glimmer of hope would be very much appreciated. Thank you and God bless

0 Kudos
Contributor

First when I shop I always pickup bulk items that can sustain me if things get tough, like big storms, financial system melt down, political turmoil, natural colamities like earthquakes, flood, etc, sickness as the current pandemic and keeps one calm to know your ready if things go bezerk!!  Learn how to garden and process the food at harvest. Plus get heirlooms seeds, so you can also have seeds every year, because you use your crop also produce seeds for you. But you can only do this with heirloom seeds, because most seed is hybrids and your crops can only be eaten. Hybrids donโ€™t produce seeds that will grow like their parent plants, so every year with hybrids got to buy new seeds Every Year. Your stuck into buying every year new seed which costs money. Thank you for your ears. My Best. 

0 Kudos

How would I start a plan?

0 Kudos

We have backpack for each family member.  Each pack includes, flashlight, extra batteries, supply of water, snacks & freeze-dried food, person-specific medication, compass, small first aid kit, 2 extra sets of clothes, books/games/puzzles/entertainment, whistle, pen & paper, and toothbrush.  We also keep a backpack we call the family pack.  The  items in this pack are for the entire family:

radio/batteries;  extra phone chargers;   small tool kit;  blankets;  toilet paper;  freeze dried food; water; and first aid kit.   It's quite a bit, but once there, it doesn't have to be replaced except for the food and water, and freeze-dried food usually last 10 years.  Of course, medication should be rotated out and used, keeping the newest prescriptions in the backpack.  This may sound like overkill to some people, but if you have to leave quickly, you will be thankful you had made this preparation.    (Examples:  California wildfires;  last-minute hurricane evacuations;  must move to a shelter due to a tornado, flooding or other disaster.  Good luck!

0 Kudos

Unfortunately, I do not have one. I think I have taken for granted that there has not been a disaster in the city I live.that I am too relaxed. However, after reading this article, I will be getting one together. 

0 Kudos

Here in South Carolina, it is possible to experience nearly every type of in climate weather:

We live on a fault line & can experience an earthquake, we have experienced hurricanes, tornadoes,  the city of Charleston burned over 100 years ago, and we have had ice & snow storms. 
Our readiness plan is to evacuate prior to hurricanes with our family. If we have a natural disaster when we are at home, we always have a large supply of medication, gas for our grill & many batteries for our flashlights. We always keeps 2 weeks of food in the house. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

For a storm, I have water, flashlights, hiking boots, blankets and pillows and a bicycle helmet in my downstairs bathroom.

if I have to leave my home PDQ, I have scanned/emailed copies of all my important documents,  including prescriptions to 2 of my email accounts.  I never park my car with less than 1/4 tank of gas โ›ฝ๏ธ 

Best!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Weather radio. Batteries. Canned food with pop tops. Battery operated heated blankets. 2 gallons of water per person . flashlights plenty batteries snack items keep phones charged. Blow up mattresses first aid kits. Plenty hand wipes sanitizers candles battery operated heaters

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

At this very moment here in Houston we're being hit by tropical storm Beta. It's dropped over 12" of rain since last evening and most major roads and freeways are blocked with flood waters. In other words, a normal summer storm here. That being said, I'm always shocked by how many people don't have flood insurance. If you live in an area that probably won't flood it's only pennies but even if you live in an area that does flood often it's still amazingly cheap for the protection it gives you.

The insurance is backed by the U.S. government even though the policy is sold through whatever insurance agent you're using for home/auto/renters insurance. There's a wait period between when the policy is purchased and when it goes into effect so you can't wait until the storm is at your doorstep before signing up.

Stay safe.

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
0 Kudos

we have a bug out box witch has 40 gal water 10 days if food for 3 batteries 4 flashlights 2 hand crank

chargers one scanner one ham radio 4 sleeping bags 20below 1two burner stove 5 propane canisters and goodies snacks my truck always has a full tank with 5gal gascan  in back 

Contributor

Our main concern is tornadoes. We have a tub with bright yellow lid containing essentials. Bottled water is always kept in the pantry. A plan for dragging mattresses and closing doors so we can hunker down in the hallway is shared with everyone.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Up until 2 weeks ago, we had none. But after being evacuated twice within a 24 hour period of time due to wildfires in Southern Oregon, we are doing a lot of re-thinking. Fireproof-locking safety box with all important papers that can be grabbed. A duffel bag with some toiletries, tylenol, extra chargers and some clothes waiting to be grabbed. The big take away I learned from this is have alternative escape routes planned out. When a whole neighborhood and city is being evacuated, it does not help you to be stuck in traffic.

Super Contributor

Many disaster-prone states offer a tax-free weekend where many emergency supplies that are normally taxed aren't. Here in Texas it occurs in late April to encourage people to get ready for hurricane season. How about your state?

TX Emergency Prep Tax Free Weekend: https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/98-1017.php

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I've had several go bags for years.   We don't get much in terms of natural disasters here in the DC area.  A few hurricanes and one derecho that have killed power for up to a week.  But really, it's pretty safe. 

What I learned from the derecho:

1) some gas stations didn't work because they didn't have power to the pumps (so have a full tank of gas).

2) many stores couldn't take debit or credit cards because of power outages, or the communication lines were down (so have a good amount of cash on hand).

We've now added a dog to the mix, so I have a go bag and a first aid kit for him.  

Have a place to meet up with other family members. Have all their phone numbers in a file on my phone.

have 7 days supply of medication in my go pack.

I have a bag packed with all my important documents in case of an emergency situation. I know the location of my emergency center which is 10 blocks away in the event of removing myself from my present domain.

Contributor

1. I will be downstairs with with my bag containing my medication, my cell phones, and a pillow and blanket.
  2. I've notified my son of my location. I'll be home, downstairs in what should be a very safe place.
Trusted Contributor

no, i am not prepared. mentally i am ready for whatever life throws me but i am a trusting soul. life is not what they show in the movies. Something like the day after will never happen. i hope & trust the stores will remain open & i would have the resources to cope with whatever comes my way!

Contributor

Keep my family contact #, prepare a bag with clothes for at least 3 day, package food, and make plans for family to meet in a safe place. Keep cash for emergency situations in a safe place.  

(PRAY)

0 Kudos
Contributor

I think that you are more ready than you think. ๐Ÿ˜€

I live alone on the second-floor.I keep an old flip-phone charged at the bottom of the stairs.

Also, unless you're tankless, your hot water heater holds at least forty gallons of drinking- water. The spigot at the bottom is how to get it out. Note; if your tank is old, there may be some sediment at the bottom of your tank. Use cheese-cloth or a nylon stocking to filter it.

Contributor

We are fortunate enough to own an RV which is like a 2nd home. It has everything we need to survive plus it is mobile and we have extra clothes, food, dishes, emergency kits and more. Even fun things like games and an inflatable kayak.

This makes it feel like if we are faced with any evacuation, we can get up and go and even perhaps enjoy ourselves! 

Life is like a full time survivor game as we age! 

Sometimes a different perception helps a great deal.

Who knows, maybe it becomes a last minute impromptu visit of our Grandkids or friends who moved out of the area?

Also with the RV we are "dog ready". He has a cabinet full of food and dog needs, including shoes if it is hot or cold outside.

We are truly prepared for anything! 

oh and do not forget the walkie talkies. or just use a cell phone I guess? But these came in handy for us from time to time!

Periodic Contributor

I keep a blanket, water and an extra pair of hiking boots in my car ever since we had a bad ice/snow storm some years ago and everyone got stuck overnight in their cars coming home from work. I could use a better kit. In case there is an emergency and we can't get through to each other by phone, my family and I are meeting at my sister's beach house an hour away.

I'll be interested to see what others have planned!  Any "preppers" out there?

Contributor

It is wise to have an emergency supply of food and water in case you are trapped at home as well as a kit, easily portable, ready in case you need to leave quickly. Don't forget any medicines you take, toilet paper, and a light blanket. Study! The more you know, the less you need.

Contributor

I need an emergency plan for a person who doesn't own a car and a new plan for bag-n-pack.  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP