Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Re: Connecting using Technology, How do you do it?

Message 11 of 18

In my mid-80s now; have used a computer for years but decided I needed a smart phone.  Went to a local store to buy phone but asked about assistance with it "we're too busy" was the reply so I marched out and went to a city close to where I live.  Received immediate assistance, bought the phone but now what?   How do I get started with an I-phone without driving to a store or setting up time to attend a class.  I purchased  the dummies book but I still need someone to sit by me and answer questions.  Now what?

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Connecting using Technology, can I do it?

Message 12 of 18

I have Hunter assist me in sending letters with my phone. And Taylor posts pictures of me through instant grahm. We usually see each other through facebook, and when they are arounf, they set up a video camera so they can appear through the TV set.

Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18

Ages 79 and 86, most definitely not a Techies. No cell phone, no hand-held device, computer only, no Skype.  Communicate using  landline phone, emails, letters, or in person. Old-fashioned, but works for us!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

Whatsapp is the best for me. Can be setup for iPhone, Android cell phone. With a little manuvering, tablet and PC. You can chat (text) with individuals or groups. Voice calls and video calls between members. Very easy to send photos and videos and many types of attachments. All for free anywhere in the world except it is blocked in China.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 18

Social like FB or Liker only for family or at least 20 year friends.

Linkedin about the same.

Text or messenger for friends, foe or customers. And FaceTime for same, although sometimes camera 🎥 s off - 24/6/365 on-call not good.

Skype not since the 2016,2017 & 2018 hacks🤣, removed app from phone.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Highlighted
Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 18

Great topic, @AARPTeri !

Google Hangouts has been our family choice for almost a decade, I think (or however long it's been available).

Text is next preferred option as that seems to be more condusive to busy lifestyles they have vs my retirement lifestyle 😉

We used one international phone/text service for a couple of years when SIL was deployed, and I needed to contact non-US colleagues, but then they started charging, then he came home, I retired, so no need (but it was great when we were users, in fact I was able to share "snow falling in Las Vegas" with one of my Asian-based colleagues).

I was an early-adopter of Google and remain so, trusting their tech and security, so still a Fi customer and product user and proponent. We, to date, have not experienced any issues, tech- or security-wise, so we'll stay loyal. In fact, I have to think we stay because they're loyal to us, as well.

Again, thanks for a great topic.

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 17 of 18

My wife likes to use Hangouts when she's at work. She works in a higher security building where she is not supposed to carry her cell phone, but she does have a computer from which she can contact my cell phone through Hangouts or she can even call me on VoIP through her computer if she needs to discuss something with me immediately.

My daughter-in-law seems to prefer either text messaging or Marco Polo if she wants to communicate through a video and include our 2-year-old grandson. My son will usually contact me by text message.

My two brothers still prefer calling directly, but the one just older will use text messaging with me if he just has a simple question and doesn't want to discuss whatever subjects we might dream up in a phone call. I use these methods with them in the same way.

My two sisters keep in touch with me mostly through Facebook; although, we do talk on the phone sometimes, especially for more important matters.

For my contact with friends and family outside my immediate family, I mostly use Facebook.

Merry Christmas to my friends on E Street NW and to all my fellow AARP members. We might have to spit out a moth or two along the way, but may this season start a new and happy time for all.

Enjoy!

Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Connecting using Technology, How do you do it?

Message 18 of 18

Do you use social media to connect with your family and friend?  What works for you?  Have you tried Skype, Google Hangouts or, if you have an iPhone or iPad, FaceTime?

These technologies make it easier to connect with family that is spead out.  How do you connect?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors