ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 31 of 147

I have always wanted to live near Boston.  I'm a Museum Educator with a specialty in the 18th Century.

What's the cost of living like?  Museums (unfortunately) don't pay much.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 32 of 147

1) Kanab Utah.  Volunteer at Best Friends Animal Society

2) Santa Fe NM

3)Flagstaff **bleep** 

i live in Florida Now.  Though I love Ocala.  That is the Only nice place left in Florida.  Not hugely affordable for middle income families

not a good enough reason to stay

florida is a Dump.  Everywhere.

The People are Atrocious. Horrible.  Rude. Self Absorbed  

Then there are the Snowbirds. Who feel We Owe Them our lives. Because They vacation here 

the Education system one of the lowest in the country

public transportation is non existent   

There are limited nature places left that are intact

Work is limited to service or tourism

Been here 20 years. Counting the days.minutes  until I can get out

Info Seeker

Message 33 of 147

I'm from Denver but moved to Vegas to be w my kids/grandkids. The cost of living is low and the weather is nice moist of the yr. Just 3 -4 mos of hot  weather and 2 that are cool. There's a lot to do, no state taxes, I miss my home and the green landscape of the Rockies but all in all am happy here. Healthcare used to be lacking but there are many new hospitals and Dr's setting up practice. I'm not retired yet (I'm 63) but plan to stay here when I do. Just a thought! Good luck! 

Info Seeker

Message 34 of 147

I'll look into the state thing, that's a good idea but Chicago is just too cold for me and I'm on a walker, that plus ice equals many ER visits. I really want something small, handicapped equipped and rural. Away from snow, tornado alley and I've survived enough hurricanes to last a lifetime. Like another user mentioned the Pacific Northwest sounds good, it gets cool but not too cold, granted there's a few volcanos to worry about. I don't have a problem being alone (as long as I don't fall of course) I just want peace and quiet. I want to relax maybe get back into photography.

Info Seeker

Message 35 of 147

You might try Chicago, Illinois city and suburbs. My 94 year old mother had a very low income and qualified for Medicaid assistance to live in a very nice assisted living facility. It was quite modern and clean and she had her own apartment. Check out the State of Illinois website. Your own state should have a listing of places to live as well. Hope things work out for you.

Info Seeker

Message 36 of 147

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

To the person who said not to give up on FL I'm living on straight disability, well below the poverty line. I highly doubt I could afford more than a broom-closet in your retirement community. We're barely holding on with two of us. Alone I doubt I could cover the bills and taxes and have anything left for food, gas, car insurance. I'm just lost, cconfused and scared.

Conversationalist

Message 37 of 147

Don't give up on Florida.  We love in Ocala, at a 55 plus community called On Top of The World.  Check us out.  You just might find this to be your new home.  We love it here, and so do the other 10,000 or so that also like it here.

Info Seeker

Message 38 of 147

Current age 60. Work full time. Current state California. If I can ever retire ideally want to go to FL Panama City Beach/Destin area. Relatively good climate. Within 2 hour drive to family. Must have warm climate. Must be able to garden and enjoy outdoors frequently. Beach is a real bonus. The reality however is bleak. CA is sucking the living soul out of me financially, politically and socially. But for now my job and home keep me here. 

Conversationalist

Message 39 of 147
My heart goes out to you. I wish I could help somehow, but I don't live in the U.S. so I don't know about the resources that may be available to you. But, since you have posted on AARP, I hope you can ask their help in finding some viable options. Maybe there are some other threads that have information from the AARP community? Bless you, and I hope some kindness lights your life soon.
Info Seeker

Message 40 of 147

Being fully disabled I guess I am 'retired' I rent from family right now but she's failing. I don't know what's going to happen to me. I spent two months in a low end physical rehab facility and elderly dumping ground and it was pure hell. I don't know where to go. Florida is so expensive and dangerous. I once thought I could find a place in the woods but since my accident I can't get off the ground. I'm lost and trapped. I don't know what states if any have the same medical coverge that's literally saved my life. I don't know who to talk to. I stand in darkness.