Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 21 of 316

Dominican Republic? If that is the correct answer, how will you be taking care of any medical bills? Do they accept Medicare?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 316

Whats DR? Inquiring minds want to know

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 316

The Edgewater Beach area in Chicago, IL. My hometown.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 316
I want to live in the DR. Nice people and cheaper
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 316

New Bern NC is a beautiful boating community.  Near a river that goes to the ocean.  Beautiful ocean beaches like Long Island had in the past. Friendly people, great restaurants, theaters, and continued education if you like that.  Plenty of activities, local hospital in town and specialty medical centers close by.  Houses are affordable (atleast 1/3 L.I. prices) and taxes are low.   Pleanty of shopping venues.   Any spot, so far, in NC is a good place to be.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 316

I would Love to retire in Hawaii, why?  The people are sooooo friendly.  But, the taxes will Eat you alive.  I have lived there for 30 years.  But, everything keeps rising, everytime you turn around, really.  You get a raise at work, good, right, then they raise your rent, then grocery items go up, then the bus rates go up, then you think that's not too bad but then they raise the tax on EVERYTHING YOU BUY!  So, your literally swimming in taxes!

Hawaii is a Tourist Trap and A Tax Trap as well.  Great weather, beautiful skies, but swimming is only good on the North Shore, it's not polluted yet.

Its nice to buy a home if your a millionaire but then they Raise the property taxes, again and again and again, till it chokes families.

So,Where to go?  How about Las Vegas? blue skies, people are friendly, your NOT taxed on everything,plus there are so many people from Hawaii owing to Nevada, tons! You can afford to buy a house.  There are four seasons but not so cold( actually it's only really cold for 4 months).  No mosquitos and No cockroaches!! ( In Hawaii, there are TONS!!). There are mountains to hike and the summers are warm ( gets super hot sometimes), but I prefer the heat better than the cold, any day.  Plus, you can travel anywhere by car, train,plane, whatever you so desire.  What about gambling?  Stay with a limit when you go in and walk out when your done but the best place is Primm, a lottery, you never know if your the lucky one today, so instead of giving all that TAX money to Hawaii's government, try your LUCK at Primm!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 316

Plan on retiring in Fl. Currently live in MN and tired of the winters. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 316

I would like to retire somewhere in the Virginia Mountains, or Tennessee mountains not sure which one it better for tax on seniors?

let me know 

thank you

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 316

If I was able to, I would like to retire either in Norway, Scotland, Montana

Peter Sabo
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 316
where in AK,how affordable,seismic activity?,.Would sell my 14471 property 150-200K but SS/pension only $1200/month.3 cats&me[eventually bird dog].Small[1BR/1LR]structually sound house/cabin with onsite well,mostly off grid.Need a semi-temperate??location-Raynauds syndrome in feet/fingers.I hunt/fish/crab/ sail/fossil hun/,rustic furniture/traditional black smith/radio listen,printed books.How bad is the debt?-heard AK legislature unwilling to rectify.Cheapest way to relocate from western NY?Seems sticker shock craigslist greater Juneau area.
Thanks,
Karl
PS former pharmacy technician and heavy ehs background.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors