Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 21 of 152

Good morning,

We have lived in Connecticut for the past 30+ years but CT tends to be expensive.  For the same reasons as you; being closer to family as well as trying to reduce expenses, we are planning on moving to New Hampshire -- no income tax on pension or SS, no Sales Tax, and southern NH is about an hour and 15 minutes from Boston (where two of our kids live).  Also, Boston is home to a major airport (we enjoy traveling when possible).  

I would love to hear feedback from people about New Hampshire.  

Thank you.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 22 of 152

We will go to Arizona. Can't wait as we have been dreaming about it for over 20 years. The weather, architecture, culture, food, art ....... Just love everything about it.

Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?Greenville, SC

Message 23 of 152

Love, love, love Arizona but want to escape mortgage payments.  Cost of housing in SC looks appealing and negligable snowfall (originally from Michigan!)

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 152

I have lived in Boise Idaho for the last 30 years, and have decided that it is not a place to retire. I have found a place in Kingman arizona . The weather is good, and costs are low. 

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 152

I've been living in Cincinnati metro area for 8 years. Though much has changed positively over this time it is not a place I could ever call home. I'm hoping to retire in Dec 2018 and move back to New England to be near family. The hard part is expenses. Rent alone in most places is twice what it is here and energy costs are about 20-30% higher. My first thought is Western Massachusetts or Providence RI. Anyone know anything about either or currently live there?

Info Seeker

Message 26 of 152

Tennessee 

Info Seeker

Message 27 of 152

I totally agree-  there is nothing like being near familyHeart

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 152

I plan to retire in June 2018 and am interested in the Olympic Pennisula in Washington state. I have visited Sequim and like the town.  I have friends there and in neighboring towns. What can you tell me about the area?

Info Seeker

Message 29 of 152

Have been in Ohio for the past 7 years due to my husbands job.  Our plan is to move back to my home state of Wisconsin where family is. I lived in a small town for over 50 years and moving to a big city at that age was culture shock to say the least.  Retirement for us is 3 years away, but we are looking at real estate from time to time and are finding that comparitively, where we want to move is quite a bit higher than where my husband is from in New York state.  That's the price we have to pay if we want to be by the kids.  :-(

Info Seeker

Message 30 of 152

I can't help but reply to the folks who are afraid to move to Mexico because a television show (Border Wars) shows how dangerous it is. 

While I would not consider moving to Mexico, myself, I would consider moving to Cabot Cove, Maine, even though Jessica Fletcher was called upon to solve a murder there nearly every week. If she didn't travel, Cabot Cove would have become a ghost town. 

I worked in the industry for most of my working life, and it's hard to convince people of the difference between truth and fiction. My own mother was afraid to wear a seat belt because she was convinced that cars explode on impact. I could never convince her that we packed those cars with explosives, and if she watched the screen, she would see three separate explosions, one forward, from the engine, one rear from the gas tank area, and one in the middle, passenger area because three of something is more aesthetically pleasing than two.

Please, people, visit a place and form your own opinions. Do not be swayed by a television show or a movie. It's likely filmed somewhere other than where it's supposed to be set, anyway.