From retirement calculators to free tax assistance, AARP has the member benefits you need. Explore today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 21 of 231

We would love to retire somewhere like the Villages in Florida, but they're too expensive and Florida is too hot. 

We aren't golfers but love the idea of the golf cart community with grocers, shopping, Drs, dentists, movies all nearby and a community center where you can play games, swim, etc. 

Anyone know of these in a more temperate climate? Fishing nearby would be a huge plus!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 231

I am so spoiled with a high expectation for my dream forever home.  I want the best of all worlds --small town ambiance, rural connections, and big city amenities.  Oh, and I don't want to leave CA.  'From the mountains, from the deserts, to the sea' (anyone remember news anchor Jerry Dumphy?), I have lots of options but I will have to do some serious negotiating and additional savings mojo to get what I want. This kind of Fantasy ain't cheap.  LOL/sigh...

Fey Lady
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 231

Next year we plan on moving to Winston-Salem, North Carolina, or that vicinity.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 231

Heber Springs(Little Red River) But, we're staying in FL due to grandchildren. Mountain Home is nice-we went there once. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 231

Where in Arkansas?  We live in Mountain Home.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 231

We had hoped for Arkansas. But, we have lived in south central Florida for 12 years now and plan to stay, due to grandkids here. I am retired, but husband hopes to keep working for awhile. We don't miss the snow and cold in our home state of Illinois. We have humidity and hurricanes, though. Lots of interesting places in our country!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 231

Wherenin SW KY? I'm from Murray, and even though it's still home, I can't see myself ever going back there to live.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 231

There's a *huge* sales tax on just about eveddything though.  And if it snoes and/or ices, you'rd stuck.  I speak from experience.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 231
I am considering a move to Tennessee. They have senior friendly tax laws. The weather includes 4 seasons without the heat and cold extremes.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 231

I'm looking into Tennesee when I retire in the next 12 years. The tax laws are senior friendly. There are mountains and bodies of water, have 4 seasons without the extreme cold or heat. 

Kudos
Views