Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 11 of 353

South Carolina 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 353

Since my wife dies last year[tombird is now just tom] I do not have a support system. I have been getting used to being a single 80 year old man. I am working at it though by joining organizations and discussion groups. My family is scattered back East in Michigan,Ohio,Illinois,North Carolina so there is no place I could move to to be near family. Besides I like it here in San Diego. My health is good but if/when it fails I will check into a home. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 353

Will you be fine where you are if in your late 70s and 80s and 90s and ALL that goes with it? Or you just wait and see what happens?

I hope you built a family support system while in SD.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 353

South Dakota. We moved here from a large urban city back east almost 10 years ago and whereas the climate leaves much to be desired most of the year, we think the quality of life is unmatched in the US.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 353

This is strictly a cultural thing. I'm from a small rural area in Virginia and you would get a crazy look if you asked someone where would you want to live when you retire.  You build your home on your property and that is where you retire is the answer. I feel so lost not having my home to live in since retirement. I don't have one now. I was renting a one-bedroom but became ill and moved in with my kids in different states as needed.  I go to a senior center during the week and most people there live with their kids or have their kids move in with them.  The only people i knew who would ask that would be military who were like vagabonds, moving around and not putting down roots. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 353
Next 40 years?? How old are you now? I enjoyed one-bedroom living in LasV but had cancer surgery and altho I planned for a doctor and nurse to come to my apartment, my kids kidnapped me, basically, because the plan my surgeon had was not "standard of care". They moved mw out with 2 suitcases and a backpack. I miss my 6 chair, pecan dining set. . You don't make the plans for your future, You make plans for backup for what-ifs happening to you.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 353

Charlotte NC

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 353

Salinas, Ecuador!  We have been doing a LOT of research for 9 years now, and plan on retiring there 5-6 years from now.  Can hardly wait!!!!!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 353

@TinaL212109 wrote:

I want to live in the mountains close to a flowing stream with pine trees all around.  I want a big property, at least 5 acres.  I want to have chickens and goats , lots of animals. and my dogs . A log cabin big enough  for my family  to come and stay whenever  they want. I want a garden .  Not mountains with snow most of the year, southwest areas  with snow just a couple  months during the year.  

This would be my fantasy retirement. To me this sounds like a delightful way to spend the next 40 years. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 353
I would love to be near a beach. But Michigan is my home, so I will retire here, and vacation at the beaches in Florida.
Kudos
Views