AARP Live Discusses Estate Planning and How to Protect the Things You Love the Most at 10 p.m. ET.  Watch Here

Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 1 of 213

Tennessee has some good places, lots of fishing. Also the Carolinas. Not into fishing or golf, but I know lots of friends who went to Tennessee to retire. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 213
You might want to check out our community, On Top Of The World in Ocala, Florida. We have about all that you are looking for. We're here almost two years and love it here.....
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 213

We would love to retire somewhere like the Villages in Florida, but they're too expensive and Florida is too hot. 

We aren't golfers but love the idea of the golf cart community with grocers, shopping, Drs, dentists, movies all nearby and a community center where you can play games, swim, etc. 

Anyone know of these in a more temperate climate? Fishing nearby would be a huge plus!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 4 of 213

I am so spoiled with a high expectation for my dream forever home.  I want the best of all worlds --small town ambiance, rural connections, and big city amenities.  Oh, and I don't want to leave CA.  'From the mountains, from the deserts, to the sea' (anyone remember news anchor Jerry Dumphy?), I have lots of options but I will have to do some serious negotiating and additional savings mojo to get what I want. This kind of Fantasy ain't cheap.  LOL/sigh...

Fey Lady
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 213

Next year we plan on moving to Winston-Salem, North Carolina, or that vicinity.

Info Seeker +

Message 6 of 213

Heber Springs(Little Red River) But, we're staying in FL due to grandchildren. Mountain Home is nice-we went there once. 

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 213

Where in Arkansas?  We live in Mountain Home.  

Info Seeker +

Message 8 of 213

We had hoped for Arkansas. But, we have lived in south central Florida for 12 years now and plan to stay, due to grandkids here. I am retired, but husband hopes to keep working for awhile. We don't miss the snow and cold in our home state of Illinois. We have humidity and hurricanes, though. Lots of interesting places in our country!

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 213

Wherenin SW KY? I'm from Murray, and even though it's still home, I can't see myself ever going back there to live.

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 213

There's a *huge* sales tax on just about eveddything though.  And if it snoes and/or ices, you'rd stuck.  I speak from experience.