Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 11 of 362

Kudos to you!  I agree that International Living online site is a great source for finding beauty and economical living.  That is how I started my search, 6 years ago, for ocean-front living in a Mediterranean or dry climate in Spain, Greece, and Mexico.  I decided on North Baja Mexico and purchased 3 years ago, choosing Rosartio Beach, Baja.  I love it here in my ocean front condominum!  Travel is 35 minutes to Southern California. Permanent Mexican residency was easy and fast.
My neighbors are Canadians, various western Europeans, those from the USA- mostly middle-class and upper-middle class retirees and military retirees, plus Australians, a few South Americans, and middle-class Mexican Nationals. Neighbors include a famous Silicon-Vallet high-tech entrepreneur, a retired USA military doctor, an Australian couple, a French restaurant owner, a Mexican restaurant owner and a Mexican engineer.
I now am selling my condo home in La Jolla Real gated community and buying one in the development next door-- both units are built by one of the most respected Mexican developers who uses USA building standards.  My ocean view is 180 degrees.  Below are some photos:West view my balcony to Coronado Isl.West view my balcony to Coronado Isl.Part of living area to oceanPart of living area to oceanOcean view from kitchenOcean view from kitchenMy kitchenMy kitchenMain bedroom-bath suite ocean-frontMain bedroom-bath suite ocean-frontView Southeast from my balconyView Southeast from my balcony

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 362

May I suggest that you check out Rosarito Beach and Ensenada in Baja California, Mexico and all the beautiful homes, villas, and condominiums there-- many built to USA standards. Two such gated communities are La Jolla Real and La Jolla Excellence-- both ocean front. Mexico is a perfect location for those who want ocean, good weather, great food, friendly people (many of whom speak English).  Mexico offers me diverse locales and climates, friendly supportive community, and a driving proximity to the USA in under 2 hours for shopping or medical care.
In doing my research, I found that over one million USA and Canadians retire here. To find out your best choice, may I also suggest that you read online publications from Live and Invest Overseas and International Living-- two organizations that I ustilized to make my decision. Live and Invest Overseas chose Mexico (in year 2017/2018) as their top international retirement pick. They even put out a publication about their choice. I have lived here for three years and still enjoy my daily life!
I love living and owning here in Baja!  A 30 minute drive takes me to the USA when I want. My neighbors are interesting and caring people! The activities are numerous and if one wants to fly, it is easy from Tijuana International or San Diego International to anywhere globally.  Even Alaska Airlines has entered this part of the North American flight market.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 362

I chose Florida and Baja Mexico, and I couldn't be more pleased with my choices!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 362

We're leaving Phoenix due to population explosion and moving outside of Prescott.  We bought 16 acres a few years ago and are having a home built next Spring.  We plan on reducing overhead as much as possible with solar/generator power and digging a well.  Selling the house in Phoenix should give us enough to pay for the house with a small mortgage for tax purposes.  It's a major paradigm shift for us as we are both city people but we'll adjust.  I can't wait to garden, plant fruit trees, and have lots of animals. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 362

We're retired, and live in our CCRC.... Liberty village, Peru, Il.  

Cape Cod... we loved it... Falmouth and also Martha's Vineyard. "1720 House"... rented @ $90Mo. in 1962.   Now rents for $8400/wk in August

All on the water are getting more expensive. 

We also lived near the water in Maine... Look up Mere Point... 

Freshwater?

We still have a place in Woodhaven Lakes... right on the water.  Selling this year.

And, look at Lake Cobbeseconte, Maine, but Maine has winters.

Tom Young
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 362

I want to be near the ocean.  Not Florida.  Thinking NC, SC.

Nothing holding me back to other states.

any reco's?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 362

That's one of my top picks as well.  A beautiful and historic town.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 362

Savannah GA

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 362

Oklahoma because I was born there and it feels like home.

It's affordable, has plenty of room, lots of things to do, most people there are nice, good churches and Christian people that I can relate to

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 362

South Carolina 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.