AARP Urges Congress to Prevent $25 Billion in Medicare Cuts. Read the Letter

Info Seeker

Re: How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Message 31 of 137

For me, this is a very complex question!  I am 71 and have been living with an advanced cancer that is considered "terminal" for over 13 years, which means 13 plus years of cancer treatment.  Though the cancer is fairly well controlled right now, I am tired!  Not an easy way to live.  I've done well enough to be considered an "exceptional responder".  My mother died from a different cancer at 69 and a year later my father, who had always been in extremely good health, had a major stroke and went on to spend the last 18 years of his life in a wheel chair with right side paralisis and unable to speak more than saying "yes" and "no", usually accurately.  It did not take long for me to realize that my mother had gotten the better deal!  My dad's family has been long lived for generations, with ancestors living unto their 90s and 100s in the 1700s.  My grandmother lived to be 102 after having been in a clinical trial for cancer in her 70s in the 1950s.  She still planted a small garden well into her 80s but the last ten years of her life, she had alot of cognative decline.  It's hard for me to imagine feeling well enough past 80 myself to make living enjoyable.  I have learned alot about what is truly important in my life and how to live in the moment.  I have to work at it to stay mobile and I can't travel as much as I had hoped to.  I am highly motivated to live long enough to vote in the 2020 Presidential election!  That is the thing outside my family that motivates me the most these days.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 32 of 137

89 is ok for me.  Beyond that, it would depend what the quality of my life would be.

Info Seeker

Message 33 of 137

Both of my grandmothers lived past 95 so I'm going for 100.  At 67 I've had 2 total knee replacements, and just retired from teaching.  I walk regularly, exercise at least 3 times a week, and enjoy yoga.  I have 4 kids and 8 grandkids and have been happily married for 47 years to my grade school sweetheart.  I would say I have been, and continue to be blessed with each new day.  If God calls me home before I'm 100 it's because my grandmas don't want me to break their record and want me to enjoy an even fuller life with them!

Info Seeker

Message 34 of 137

100 as long as I'm healthy.

Info Seeker

Message 35 of 137

I hope to make it to 82, when my house will finally be paid off!  After that, it'll be a fight against Alzheimer's ... it's in the family Smiley Sad   So, I have to make the most of the next 15 years, if I make it THAT long!! 

Info Seeker

Message 36 of 137

I agree. I am 62, and I feel 25. Can't imagine checking out for many many years to come. 

Info Seeker

Message 37 of 137
I agree. I feel the same way!
Info Seeker

Message 38 of 137

Long enough to see how my 5 grandchildren's lives turn out. They range from 13 down to 5 months. I am not leaving this world until I see how their stories turn out. I am 62 now..so atleast 100.

Info Seeker

Message 39 of 137

Good for you to have the desire to live to 100! Most of us have the "usual" (pains, various problems) if over 70, but we try to find the joy in everyday living. You are doing great. And 75 is the new 60. Haven't you heard?

Info Seeker

Message 40 of 137

Yes. You do want to be around to be involved in many things like this. Think about the good stuff that is still with you. Sometimes it takes a lot, but try to find a little bit of joy in every day. Try to get a laugh every day (or at least a smile).