Make Your Weekends Even Longer. Add an Extra Day With Easy and Affordable Ideas From AARP Travel. Let's Go

Info Seeker

Re: How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Message 1 of 146

Oh, I'm sorry for what you're going through.  Loss is so hard.  I have abandonment issues, so I find loss very hard.  Yes, staying in touch with people is so very important and, for me, my pets are close to my heart.  Right now one of my sons and his wife live a half-hour away and they are expecting their first and my first grand daughter.  but they are vagabonds by nature and I can't count on them living nearby, even after baby.  Take care, and I hope ways to cope and adjust to your situations will come to you.

Report Inappropriate Content
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 2 of 146
Thank you for reminding me. This ia not the end for those who have accepted Christ. God Bless you.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 3 of 146

I have said that too. Recent losses have given me things to think about.  I lost my car in an accident and can't replace it.  I did not renew my drivers license. Now I have to get rides everywhere I need to go.  My daughter takes me mostly but a neighbor and dear friend has been a big help. She is moving the end of February which is a double loss. My daughter and grandaughter moved in with me. Now my grandaughter is moving to No. California where her boyfriend lives. She is my joy and her leaving makes me want to cry.  Because of the accident, I lost some memories though much has come back.  I have always been very independent and I think that has helped me stay positive.  Now so much is a struggle. I used to do my own errands and it was good for me to interact with people I would meet. All that I can't do now depresses me.    

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 146

I am 71,  would like to make it to 100 !!

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 146

With the soon advent of technologies I truly believe everyone should always plan on living to over 100...my two grandmothers 96 and 101...I am 69 shooting for 100...

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 146

I don't know that there is any way to prepare for death other than how we prepare to live.  Being aware and conscious and kind and loving to ourselves and our life, and all our dear ones, while we are alive now is probably the only way to be "prepared" for one's own death.  Life certainly offers enough practice in facing difficult things as well as the lovely things.  Just practice, is all I can think. With love and blessings.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 146

I'm 77 now, and as far as I know, the oldest in our clan of the past several decades.  I do feel mentally alert . I am a writer.  I think writing is the thing that keeps me alert actually, and I'd like to feel that I will have at least another couple of decades to keep at it. I've kept journals for years, but have now moved on to full-scale memoirs which give me an enormous sense of having something worthwhile to do.  I think that's important for any person, whatever your age, but especially as you move up into the "senior" years.  Make sure you have something you absolutely love to do, and then share that with your family and trusted friends.  It's definitely something to live for!

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 146

Both of my parents died in their 80's: 86 and 87.  In both cases, their last couple of years were marked with a sharp decline in health.  In fact, both died the night before they would of moved from assisted living to the nursing home section of the retirement community where they lived.  I would not be happy, i don't think, living unable to dress myself, being incontinent, needing ehlp with many ADL's.  I'm 69 now and still very active and trying new activites.  So, do I want to live to 90?  Yes, if I can still do most activities of daily living on my own and participate in community, learning activites,  But not if I'm in a nursing home having everything done for me,

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 146
Hi 108? WOW... What would be your plan at 108? Or should I say "What plan does your son have in mine"? If 108 "Rings" for you.. then let it "Ring"...
ANTONETTE LOUISE KEMPLEN
Conversationalist

Message 10 of 146

I definitely agree.  At present am 83, have a new hip and minimal other issues.  I think 108 as a minimum.  However, if my mind disintegrates then that is another matter but I feel as though it is still working well.  I appreciate every day I am here and pray I am  a positive example to all whom I touch.