Attend AARP's Job Search in the Digital Age Online Workshop, Thursday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Info Seeker

Re: How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Message 21 of 134 (1,548 Views)

That question is impossible to answer without a functional crystal ball.  Right now, I consider myself a healthy, slightly overweight, cognitively intact 69 year old female. My life consists of endless obligations since my husband is in a Nursing facility with a rare form of dementia (age 82). I must sell my home in order to survive financially, as well as having no help with up-keep of the property. Our only son and grandchild live 2,000 miles away. My friends have their own lives and problems. How long do I want to live "like this?" Probably until I get to the point where I can no longer handle my own affairs, and by then maybe science will stop trying to prolong life in years rather than in quality!!

Info Seeker

Message 22 of 134 (1,484 Views)

Living to 90 is good as long  as my functions are still working. On Facebook they had a video of a 90+ lady doing her last Ice Skating  performance. I don't need to ice skate. but I want to move on my own. Im 74 all my parts are still working.

ANTONETTE LOUISE KEMPLEN
Info Seeker

Message 23 of 134 (1,569 Views)

Well, 82 is good so you're well on your way.  I'll be 84 in six months and I've already outlived my dad and am coming up on my mom who made it to 87.  My doctor tells me that I am in exceptionally good health for someone of my age.  The only major health issue I have at the moment is spinal stenosis which has made it next to impossible to  do the two to four mile a day walks that I used to do until about four years ago.  However, I spoke with my primary care physician a couple of weeks ago and he has agreed to refer me to the Laser Spinal Institute for possible surgery to deal with the stenosis.  If that happens, I'll be back to the way things were five years ago.  Without any other health issues, I'm hoping to make it to the century mark and maybe beyond!

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 134 (1,470 Views)

I'm a very active healthy 62 year old now. I'm was widowed at 54 but I am in a long term relationship with a lovely man.  Everyone in my family lives in their 90's.  It seems that the women in my family stay cognitively sharp and healthy until they have one big heart attack. The men seem to suffer from dementia. I don't want to live like that at all.  I would rather be healthy and live less then end up in a nursing facility with dementia.  

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 134 (1,602 Views)

Kudos to the 62 year "young" lady.  I am a 61 year "young" lady.  I'm going for the long run, too, despite similar health issues.  I enjoyed your reply and I am fired up to go for it!  Thank you for your inspiration.  90 to 95?  Here WE come!!!!

Info Seeker

Message 26 of 134 (1,484 Views)

If I could  ever get my heath in order, I wouldn't mind living to a nice "young" age of maybe 90-95.  I am insulent intolerent, have high blood pressure, and high cholestrol.  Smiley Frustrated  And by medical standards I am obesse.  Unless I can get this all under control, I can't see myself living past retirement.  I am 62 years "young" now, my dad passed away at age 67, 32 years ago.  My sweet momma just passed this past August.  She was 95 years young, but had demencia in her last year.  So, at this point, I will take what the Good Lord gives me...

AARPTeri wrote:

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

AARPTeri wrote:

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

Info Seeker

Message 27 of 134 (1,525 Views)

100 years young, provided that I am mobile and, perhaps, even active until then. Now, I am 64 and I cycle intensely 6 days per week and power walk as a alternative. My BP averages 100/55 and my resting heart rate at about 45bpm. early all of my bllod values are normal or, at least, just very slightly elevated in a couple of areas.

My ailements right now are Osteo Arthritis in my hands, 2 collapsed discs in my neck which I keep under control with meds. I am also on prostate cancer watch due to high PSA values. I had 3 sample procedures done, with a terciary confirmation that came back negative.

I don't have any family medical history of which my doctors feel that I am at risk for, but my father did pass frolm pancreatic cancer and my mother of liver failure, auto ammune and CHF. My father did have high Cholesterol but mine is OK for now.

I don't feel (hope too) that my body is breaking down anywhere else for now. But my Osteo Arthritis did seem to appear from nowhere, so I try to be very aware of any bodily pains or squeaks as much as I can. The best that I do is get an annual check up and the required shots like clockwork.

So, for now I am HAPPY and hoping to see 100 !

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 134 (1,552 Views)

For me, this is a very complex question!  I am 71 and have been living with an advanced cancer that is considered "terminal" for over 13 years, which means 13 plus years of cancer treatment.  Though the cancer is fairly well controlled right now, I am tired!  Not an easy way to live.  I've done well enough to be considered an "exceptional responder".  My mother died from a different cancer at 69 and a year later my father, who had always been in extremely good health, had a major stroke and went on to spend the last 18 years of his life in a wheel chair with right side paralisis and unable to speak more than saying "yes" and "no", usually accurately.  It did not take long for me to realize that my mother had gotten the better deal!  My dad's family has been long lived for generations, with ancestors living unto their 90s and 100s in the 1700s.  My grandmother lived to be 102 after having been in a clinical trial for cancer in her 70s in the 1950s.  She still planted a small garden well into her 80s but the last ten years of her life, she had alot of cognative decline.  It's hard for me to imagine feeling well enough past 80 myself to make living enjoyable.  I have learned alot about what is truly important in my life and how to live in the moment.  I have to work at it to stay mobile and I can't travel as much as I had hoped to.  I am highly motivated to live long enough to vote in the 2020 Presidential election!  That is the thing outside my family that motivates me the most these days.  

Info Seeker

Message 29 of 134 (1,190 Views)

89 is ok for me.  Beyond that, it would depend what the quality of my life would be.

Info Seeker

Message 30 of 134 (1,238 Views)

Both of my grandmothers lived past 95 so I'm going for 100.  At 67 I've had 2 total knee replacements, and just retired from teaching.  I walk regularly, exercise at least 3 times a week, and enjoy yoga.  I have 4 kids and 8 grandkids and have been happily married for 47 years to my grade school sweetheart.  I would say I have been, and continue to be blessed with each new day.  If God calls me home before I'm 100 it's because my grandmas don't want me to break their record and want me to enjoy an even fuller life with them!