Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

AARPTeri

I expect to live until I'm 120. I'm in good health, very active.  I can't think of anything that would stop me.  My only concern is Alzheimer's. I have family history.  I pray that the Lord will keep my mind.  I'm trying to do what I can.

Periodic Contributor

As for me it's not the quantity of life about the quality of it. As long as I am relatively if physically healthy, able to be independent, able to be mobile, and have a clear mind Reasonably good cognitive abilities then I want to live.   At the point that any of the aforementioned are no longer true, then it's time for me to make the decision to stop medical intervention and allow nature to take it's natural course.

I agree totally with this rational and ethical statement. At 78 I'm still teaching college courses, writing articles and functioning physically (not as well, I'll admit) with all medical tests on the healthy side. When I can't function anymore, I plan to join my loyal canine companions on the rainbow bridge. If they're not there, of course, I'm not going. I'll haunt classrooms in search of an inspiring lecture, at lease until my wife decides to join me.
Contributor

I feel the same!! I too am 78, and altho I am wheelchair bound, I still try to contribute to my family, and my community. I support all pet sanctuaries that I can, enjoy knowing God's beautiful creatures have a little better life because of me. My "girls", two beautiful little French Poodles, wait for me across the Rainbow Bridge, and I look forward to holding them in my arms again someday. My family is kind, supportive, and loving, who could ask for more? I never married but I have raised several children who think of me as "Mom", and I think of them as my own. Whenever I make that final journey, I will be ready. I have lived the best life I could, believed in God, and treated others as I wished to be treated every day of my life. I have loved, and been loved, cared for, and been cared for, always strived to be fair, honest, and keep my integrity above all else. Few will miss me, as so many have gone before me, but what a wonderful day it will be to see my parents, my siblngs, my children, my friends, and my girls once again.

That question is impossible to answer without a functional crystal ball.  Right now, I consider myself a healthy, slightly overweight, cognitively intact 69 year old female. My life consists of endless obligations since my husband is in a Nursing facility with a rare form of dementia (age 82). I must sell my home in order to survive financially, as well as having no help with up-keep of the property. Our only son and grandchild live 2,000 miles away. My friends have their own lives and problems. How long do I want to live "like this?" Probably until I get to the point where I can no longer handle my own affairs, and by then maybe science will stop trying to prolong life in years rather than in quality!!

I'm a very active healthy 62 year old now. I'm was widowed at 54 but I am in a long term relationship with a lovely man.  Everyone in my family lives in their 90's.  It seems that the women in my family stay cognitively sharp and healthy until they have one big heart attack. The men seem to suffer from dementia. I don't want to live like that at all.  I would rather be healthy and live less then end up in a nursing facility with dementia.  

If I could  ever get my heath in order, I wouldn't mind living to a nice "young" age of maybe 90-95.  I am insulent intolerent, have high blood pressure, and high cholestrol.  Smiley Frustrated  And by medical standards I am obesse.  Unless I can get this all under control, I can't see myself living past retirement.  I am 62 years "young" now, my dad passed away at age 67, 32 years ago.  My sweet momma just passed this past August.  She was 95 years young, but had demencia in her last year.  So, at this point, I will take what the Good Lord gives me...

@AARPTeri wrote:

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

@AARPTeri wrote:

Periodic Contributor

Living to 90 is good as long  as my functions are still working. On Facebook they had a video of a 90+ lady doing her last Ice Skating  performance. I don't need to ice skate. but I want to move on my own. Im 74 all my parts are still working.

ANTONETTE LOUISE KEMPLEN
Periodic Contributor

Today Hugh Hefner passed at the age of 91 . He was functional till his last days, Slow but sure.  Living his life the way he wanted. Aging did not stop him....In 17 yrs I will be 91. That's how I wish to be.

ANTONETTE LOUISE KEMPLEN
Regular Social Butterfly

@LadyAnne73 wrote:

Today Hugh Hefner passed at the age of 91 . He was functional till his last days, Slow but sure.  Living his life the way he wanted. Aging did not stop him....In 17 yrs I will be 91. That's how I wish to be.

I don't know how to say this, so please forgive me if it comes out wrong. I was living with my mom when her health suddenly dropped like a rock and she nearly died in my arms. I knew she didn't want to be in a nursing home/hospital, but I panicked, and called an ambulance. I didn't know what to do, so I left it up to them. If I was better prepared to handle it, I might have been able to handle it better. Since nobody dies and lives to tell about it, It's still a mystery to us all. It seems to me, that even tho we all know our time will come some day, Being conscious of the event itself is a bit disconcerting. I don't think I'd want to be conscious of my own death. But even tho this may sound a bit morbid, I'd like to find out how people who are about to cross that threshold feel/think about it. I'm not sure if I'd be able to give someone that kind of interview. But when my time comes, I'd like to be prepared for it. I don't know if there is any good way to do that. But it sure seems better than being a bumbling idiot about it. Any thoughts about that?

Contributor

I don't know that there is any way to prepare for death other than how we prepare to live.  Being aware and conscious and kind and loving to ourselves and our life, and all our dear ones, while we are alive now is probably the only way to be "prepared" for one's own death.  Life certainly offers enough practice in facing difficult things as well as the lovely things.  Just practice, is all I can think. With love and blessings.

Contributor

My mother died at 94. She lived in pain for several years and had difficulty getting around, but she was as smart and sharp as ever. I was with her as she went through the process. She'd told me a few years before she died that she was ready. However, when she went to hospice, she cried.  And then she concentrated on what she loved, her children. I was with her while she passed, talking to her and holding her hand.  I think she left us feeling content. 

My job, at 74, is to live fully.  I'm not rushing around trying to accomplish a bucket list of events.  Instead I do what I want as conditions and money allow.  I enjoy sitting on my back porch in New Orleans, watching storms come through, or drinking my morning coffee while to birds and butterflies sing and dance across the trees and flowers.  Friends and family mean a lot.  Currently I'm back up north visiting my friends who have become part of my family and watching the leaves turn.

While I was raised a Christian, I don't worry about the afterlife.  We live through heaven and hell on earth, so when the choice is mine, I pick heaven.  

As for the process of dying, I have no desire to live through the prolonged pain of disease or dementia.  But if the process is peaceful, I'll take it as I do everything else. 

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

Dear LadyAnne73 No matter when the end of my life comes, I know that the Lord is with me and that I am loved and when I take my last breath Jesus will be holding my hand and I will be with Him for all eternity. I will see my dear Mother and my siblings, the many friends that have gone before me and all the worries and problems that I may have will be gone forever and I will be at peace. God bless you.
Regular Contributor

Thank you for reminding me. This ia not the end for those who have accepted Christ. God Bless you.
Contributor

Okay, so let's see, I'm 56 as of tomorrow, and I think that I'd like to live to be somewhere between 75-85 years young!  Then when my time comes and I have finished my mission in this life I will move on to my next existence freely and at peace.

Feeling Groovy in New England!

Periodic Contributor

With the soon advent of technologies I truly believe everyone should always plan on living to over 100...my two grandmothers 96 and 101...I am 69 shooting for 100...

Trusted Contributor

One thing I'm especially worried about is MACULAR DEGENERATION...I don't want to be blind.
I'm taking the best eye vitamins supplements I can find and afford ( "Optimal Eyes" - bought on Amazon) and keeping healthy. I was reading how 11 million Americans suffer from Age related Macular degeneration, I don't want to have it attack me.
Periodic Contributor

I am 71,  would like to make it to 100 !!

Regular Contributor

I have said that too. Recent losses have given me things to think about.  I lost my car in an accident and can't replace it.  I did not renew my drivers license. Now I have to get rides everywhere I need to go.  My daughter takes me mostly but a neighbor and dear friend has been a big help. She is moving the end of February which is a double loss. My daughter and grandaughter moved in with me. Now my grandaughter is moving to No. California where her boyfriend lives. She is my joy and her leaving makes me want to cry.  Because of the accident, I lost some memories though much has come back.  I have always been very independent and I think that has helped me stay positive.  Now so much is a struggle. I used to do my own errands and it was good for me to interact with people I would meet. All that I can't do now depresses me.    

Periodic Contributor

May GOD bless you greatly GinnieLee.

Trusted Contributor

Praying for you Ginnie
Contributor

Oh, I'm sorry for what you're going through.  Loss is so hard.  I have abandonment issues, so I find loss very hard.  Yes, staying in touch with people is so very important and, for me, my pets are close to my heart.  Right now one of my sons and his wife live a half-hour away and they are expecting their first and my first grand daughter.  but they are vagabonds by nature and I can't count on them living nearby, even after baby.  Take care, and I hope ways to cope and adjust to your situations will come to you.

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Kudos to the 62 year "young" lady.  I am a 61 year "young" lady.  I'm going for the long run, too, despite similar health issues.  I enjoyed your reply and I am fired up to go for it!  Thank you for your inspiration.  90 to 95?  Here WE come!!!!

Contributor

For me, this is a very complex question!  I am 71 and have been living with an advanced cancer that is considered "terminal" for over 13 years, which means 13 plus years of cancer treatment.  Though the cancer is fairly well controlled right now, I am tired!  Not an easy way to live.  I've done well enough to be considered an "exceptional responder".  My mother died from a different cancer at 69 and a year later my father, who had always been in extremely good health, had a major stroke and went on to spend the last 18 years of his life in a wheel chair with right side paralisis and unable to speak more than saying "yes" and "no", usually accurately.  It did not take long for me to realize that my mother had gotten the better deal!  My dad's family has been long lived for generations, with ancestors living unto their 90s and 100s in the 1700s.  My grandmother lived to be 102 after having been in a clinical trial for cancer in her 70s in the 1950s.  She still planted a small garden well into her 80s but the last ten years of her life, she had alot of cognative decline.  It's hard for me to imagine feeling well enough past 80 myself to make living enjoyable.  I have learned alot about what is truly important in my life and how to live in the moment.  I have to work at it to stay mobile and I can't travel as much as I had hoped to.  I am highly motivated to live long enough to vote in the 2020 Presidential election!  That is the thing outside my family that motivates me the most these days.  

Contributor

Both of my grandmothers lived past 95 so I'm going for 100.  At 67 I've had 2 total knee replacements, and just retired from teaching.  I walk regularly, exercise at least 3 times a week, and enjoy yoga.  I have 4 kids and 8 grandkids and have been happily married for 47 years to my grade school sweetheart.  I would say I have been, and continue to be blessed with each new day.  If God calls me home before I'm 100 it's because my grandmas don't want me to break their record and want me to enjoy an even fuller life with them!

89 is ok for me.  Beyond that, it would depend what the quality of my life would be.

Periodic Contributor

100 as long as I'm healthy.

Contributor

I hope to make it to 82, when my house will finally be paid off!  After that, it'll be a fight against Alzheimer's ... it's in the family 😞   So, I have to make the most of the next 15 years, if I make it THAT long!! 

Well, 82 is good so you're well on your way.  I'll be 84 in six months and I've already outlived my dad and am coming up on my mom who made it to 87.  My doctor tells me that I am in exceptionally good health for someone of my age.  The only major health issue I have at the moment is spinal stenosis which has made it next to impossible to  do the two to four mile a day walks that I used to do until about four years ago.  However, I spoke with my primary care physician a couple of weeks ago and he has agreed to refer me to the Laser Spinal Institute for possible surgery to deal with the stenosis.  If that happens, I'll be back to the way things were five years ago.  Without any other health issues, I'm hoping to make it to the century mark and maybe beyond!

Contributor

Roy,

Sorry to hear about your spinal stenosis. Did anyone give you Krause excercises? (If not please google them) Unfortunately there is no cure for your problem. Weight control and gentle stretching helps a good deal. (Never arching or twisting) So glad to hear you are active. That is the best medicine.

I have not heard or read valid  reports yet on Laser surgery for stenosis at your age. I hope to hear more. Best wishes. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP