You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Message 71 of 164

Sorry you feel that way.  I'm 87 and my wife 82 and have been married 63 years.  Two years ago we did the Disney Halft Marathon.  Last week we did a 5K for the opening of a new Bridge here in FL.

We walk 3 miles a day enjoy our family and especially our Grandsons.  We saved for retirement and do not have any serious financial problems.  Why would we want to die.  Age is all relative.  If your fortunate enough to be in fairly good health why would you put a time limit on your life.  Keep moving and enjoy every day as much as you can.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 164

I am there with you!  Born in 1945 and I have always wanted to live to 2050.  My reasons are much like yours. Let's do this!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 164

I have often heard you live to be as old as your mindset.  In the 50's I wanted to be a Rocket Scientist and have been fascinated by technology ever since.  I set my longevity to 107 or the year 2050.  I wanted to see if we would make settlements on the moon, how automobiles would evolve (driverless as they predicted in 1960), and how our living could be made better by technology.  Some things have been great, others no so great.  Lets see what the next 33 years will bring.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 164

I would love to live into my 100's so I can see my children and grandchildren enjoy their lives but would want to have my mental faculties in place.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 164

i will be content with every day god allows me to awaken to see another day.thats good enough for me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 164

86 should be about right for me unless having severe life problems!!!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 164

Because of a bad infection, I lost my hearing and some memories and my car in an accident prior. I am almost 82. I asked God to restore what I lost or take me home. It's up to Him now. I know i don't want to live a lot longer like it is now but as long as I have my mind and don't develop anything more serious, I am happy to stay here. I have a wonderful granddaughter and she is planning to marry sometime soon.  I want to be around to share her joy. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 164

@dm24273230 wrote:

At 75 with the pains of arthritis and bad kidneys from diabetes, each day I wake to say: "I love life!" I hope to live beyond 100, to see the virus - humans, land and live on Mars; possibly to spread beyond. As an atheist, I have no fear of death, only the loss of consious life, the end of my creative life as I practiced medicine, still write words, music and love the world. Why would everyone want to leave knowing a child, or a wet flower in the morning dew?

I stopped eating meat so my kidneys are stable, and my joints aren't that bad. I can survive aches and pains; however, though my senses are less and I can't smell the morning grass, the tree leaves or my morning coffee anymore, but I luckily glance a visiting humminging bird occasionally. Life is still everywhere is see and enjoy.

I don't know what to make of this. You talk about your aches & pains and yet say, "....I have no fear of death, only the loss of consious life....". To me, being conscious during death is the scariest part. I have no fear of "non-existence", but, existing/conscious during the process of dying seems brutal to me. Don't your aches & pains make you want to avoid them? Imagine how it would be to experience the slow process of rigor-mortise setting in. That would definitely be a horrible way to die. It's a good thing that that happens AFTER death/loss-of-consciousness. Life includes the good and bad. Consciousness doesn't choose between the two; it's aware of both.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 164

At 75 with the pains of arthritis and bad kidneys from diabetes, each day I wake to say: "I love life!" I hope to live beyond 100, to see the virus - humans, land and live on Mars; possibly to spread beyond. As an atheist, I have no fear of death, only the loss of consious life, the end of my creative life as I practiced medicine, still write words, music and love the world. Why would everyone want to leave knowing a child, or a wet flower in the morning dew?

I stopped eating meat so my kidneys are stable, and my joints aren't that bad. I can survive aches and pains; however, though my senses are less and I can't smell the morning grass, the tree leaves or my morning coffee anymore, but I luckily glance a visiting humminging bird occasionally. Life is still everywhere is see and enjoy.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 164
I think it is impossible to truly judge a person who decides to end their own life. There are people who live with pain & it becomes more than they are able to continue living with. That can be physical as well as emotional pain. I think Mental Illness is highly misunderstood & can be overwhelming for the sufferer. Often even the family who are touched by generations of mental illness accept the fear & stigma that is prevalent in society. When they do they are unable to help or understand their family member who suffers from MI. The case you mentioned is a case in point. Your friend states her mother took the 'easy way out' and you surmise that the mother knew her daughter was incapable of empathy for Mom, so Mom was left with more aloneness when her depression became overwhelming & she acted on it. I think there are far more people in our world who are held in low esteem because they are very sensitive people.
They are often looked down on as being weak or shunned by those who should be valuing the quality of compassion & empathy that many labeled people live with. I have had a lot of MI in my family & it had caused an early death for several family members. These were each caring, sharing people who would go far to help others. But they did not receive the therapy & medications nor supportive understanding from family members that was missing in their lives. When a family member is rejected by other family members (especially in the parent/ child relationship), that can contribute to a person's self esteem to plummet.
More understanding & respect for people who choose to leave this world on their own terms is needed.
Kudos
Views