Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, Week 2 May 10-16

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, Week 2 May 10-16

Welcome to Week 2 of our AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, May 10-16, 2021

This week we are looking for ways you eliminate foods from your diet!  Tell us what challenges or specialized diets have you used to boost your health?  Low carb, low calorie,no sugar, etc.. and get 50 AARP Rewards point as well as a chance to win our Week 2 topic.  Rules:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-Rewards-Connect/AARP-Rewards-Healthy-Plate-Contest-2021-Official-... .  Click here to see information on the contest

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I downloaded the popular app and bought a kitchen scale. I weigh all my portions now. Since Feb 28th, 2021 I have list 45 lbs !

Regular Contributor

Which app do you use?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have begun faithfully reading the nutrition labels while grocery shopping. I am searching for low carb options of our most popular items, as well as lower calorie options. 

Contributor

I start each morning with a large glass of lemon water, make a berry smoothie with flaxseed, ginger, banana & low-fat yogurt for breakfast every morning, walk 7500 steps at least 3x/wk. I have more energy and more willpower when hunger strikes throughout the day

Read the package label.  My husband and I put high sodium items back on the shelf.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have started using more herbs and spices for seasoning. And, I prefer to use Himalayan rock salt, if absolutely necessary.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have cut out butter from my diet and am replacing it with healthy fats like olive oil. I am also eating avocado toast vs. butter toast. And when I bake, I use greek yogurt as a butter replacement which also gives it a boost in protein.

Contributor

I read the ingredients in the bread and English muffins, and buy only those that are 100% whole grains.  I am not misled by labels that say only "whole grain".  

0 Kudos

Less red meat, adding extra veggies, beans, lots of salad greens, and an apple a day. Don't forget the lemon water.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I cut out wheat and most sugar 10 years ago and lost 50 pounds... I still haven't found them 🙂

Regular Contributor

I cut out sugar. I follow a modified KETO meal plan which is 5/30/60: 5% carbs, 30% protein, and 60% fat. I have type 2 diabetes and this has reduced my dosage of the Victoza injections I administer daily! I’m very pleased and so is my doctor. 

Diabetes is a terrible disease and for type 2, I am in control of managing it. I will soon be in my ideal weight range and hope to no longer take Victoza. It is a very expensive co-payment. 

A tool that has really helped me meet my health goals regarding meals is an app that is free from Under Armour, the sports apparel company. I love that it tracks the calories, % of carbs/protein/fat & most of my vitamin and minerals to RDA standards. 

The app is used by thousands. I love that all I do is log what goes in my mouth from a huge and comprehensive list of foods. It even has chain restaurant meals!

Periodic Contributor

Fresh foods only no more pre packaged frozen meals loaded with chemicals and preservatives. Replaced with whole wheat pasta, faro, lentils and cous cous. Good bye to sugar and sweet deserts with every meal. We have replaced with fresh fruits and berries. It has made a difference.  Amazing weight loss in just 1 week !  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We are utilizing a whole food plant based diet to keep us healthy and lower cardiac risk factors for my husband. Also just being more aware of what we are eating and reading the labels to ensure that we are not eating a days worth of calories with one meal.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The foods that we have eliminated from our diets are ones that contain high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils. By reading the ingredient list on foods to avoid those items, we have become aware of what is actually in foods that we used to eat and now avoid and what is in the foods that we do choose. It has helped us to make healthier choices.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I haven't really eliminated any foods from my normal diet, but I do eat less meat these days. I have acid reflux and take meds for it, but certain foods will cause a painful flare up. I do eat them anyway on occasion, but I'm prepared in advance. I've also cut back on additional salt, though I still like salty snacks. I think it's important to know your own body and how it reacts to certain foods or drinks and adjust accordingly. With the internet there are so many recipes available it's easy to make changes. AARP has some great recipes & cooking spots to give us all new ideas.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I’ve eliminated foods high in salt and fat due to health issues.  Have increased veggies and fruit and find that I feel better!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have had to eliminate several foods secondary to GERD. No more raw onions for me

0 Kudos

How does one enter?  I assumed it would be a place to write the various healthy things we are doing now.

I need to  find the entry area.

Lena Jones   Thanks!

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@LenaJ248650 You're in the right place! You can post your reply for the contest entry on this thread.

Contributor

Note what others are doing, posting here.  So you're already IN the entry area.  Have a great day! 🙂

0 Kudos
Contributor

We replaced sugar with Monkfruit about a year ago.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I do not at anything with nitrates-bacon, sausage, salami, pepperoni, ham, etc. 

I do not eat beef or pork at all.

The only sandwich meat I eat is organic cooked chicken breast.

I eat trout and other fish 5 x a week. Eat cheese for extra protein.

2 cups of a.m coffee with Truvia,,,,,,,,never add sugar.

Never add salt to recipes.

No ice cream--"good cookies" now and then.

Daily salad or veggies-I am not fond of fruit except blueberries and melon.

I drink water at least once an hour...NO soft drinks.  Do drink wine .

My B/P today was 112/60.

Hope these ideas help YOU!

Regular Contributor

You have inspired me to cut out nitrates and dairy. Eat more fish & chicken although I am too much of a carnivore to give up beef, pork, lamb and bison (I tend to anemia and need the Ted meat that is high in iron. 

ive learned that cooking in cast iron can be a good meat replacement. I need to get a cast iron frying pan and Dutch oven. 

You're inspiration. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP