Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 61 of 152

Not entirely true. Plenty of cheap places but you have to look for them and settle for what you can afford. Places in FL, SC, upstate NY. Etc my friend in NY rents mobile w screen room 700 month. Could buy it for 22k. OH has rental apts 400 month. FL has mobile home parks 250-500 monthly rent. Some cheap mobiles. 20k-30k even less. Go online.

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 62 of 152
We retired in 2010 and moved from Indianapolis to Ocala, Florida. We live in a 55+ retirement community, On Top of The World. Costs, home prices and HOA fees are reasonable. Check it out, and don't forget, no state taxes in Florida, and property taxes are quite reasonable too.
Info Seeker

Message 63 of 152
Karl, check out Yellville or Flippin, Arkansas. Sounds just what you are looking for. Just about everything you need nearby Mountain Home.
Info Seeker

Message 64 of 152

Totally agree. Stuck where I am in CO. And it's expensive. Been here 18 years and cannot afford to move, or buy elsewhere. Seniors are being scammed about retirement locations.

Info Seeker

Message 65 of 152

I would like to retire in Belize. I'm tired of all the bull in the states. It would be nyce to look at a scenic backgrounds and enjoy fresh market fruits and vegetables. Walking to and around a culturally diverse people.

Info Seeker

Message 66 of 152

I have live all my life in So. California.  My roots are deep here.  I have one son living on Maui.  I am tempted to move there because I miss living near the ocean and the climate is better than the (High Desert) where i now live.  The cost of living in Maui is a minus in this decission.  It would make me somewhat dependent on my son.  So I will most likely stay put.  

Conversationalist

Message 67 of 152

I am retired but I am stuck where I am at. I lived for 20 years in Denver but now I am in Texas. My ex husband and I moved there 10 years ago for his work and he is retired too. I love Denver but I can't afford it anymore and I don't want to endure the winters there too.

Info Seeker

Message 68 of 152

Retire I place wherever you live. There is really nothing out there that modest retirees can afford these days. The housing market has crippled boomers that wish to retire due to real estate companies that are looking to make unreasonable profits to the expense of others. Millennial s and those in between are caught up in the same dilemma. These is no solution at this point and time. Stay put.

Info Seeker

Message 69 of 152

l508156s wrote:

If I had the money I would be a snowbird. Live someplace where it is not hot and humid 8 months out of the year. Come back home for the winter. 

You could try Vancouver BC.  It's not exactly cheap, but the exchange rate should help you a little if you are coming from the US.  Our summers are breathtakingly beautiful. 

I'm actually looking for something of the opposite, somewhere to go in the winter when its drizzly and grey here.  Thinking along the lines of Costa Rica, Mexico, Thailand.  Somewhere that the dollar goes a bit further.

Info Seeker

Message 70 of 152

I want to live in Piedmont, CA, in northern CA, just south of Berkeley and within smelling distance of the San Francisco Bay. I was there for a planned, two year period to write my memoir and to get back into shape. No car was needed and I walked to everything for two years, and went to the gym 5 days a week after work. (I still work part time.) The people are wonderful, energetic, and the weather is perfect, even on the few days a year we get rain. I cou;ld pick fruit most of the year in the backyard f the rental; apples, blackberries, figs, and plums, from which I made jam. A wonderful nightlife exists and I did my first stand up routine! I'll retunr there in the summer of 2018. Join me?