Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Periodic Contributor

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

Carin

I would like to retire and move to Olathe, KS.  This way I can be closer to my grandsons. Thanks

Dominican Republic

Contributor

I currently live in Annandale Virginia.  In two years when I retire I'm planning to relocate to Charleston South Carolina.

Regular Contributor

Hope you have LOTS of money. It's a very expensive place to live. Traffic is atrocious, people aren't friendly, and the crime rate, depending on where you are, can be quite high. Also, depending on where you live, there may not be bus service or a grocery store within miles.  Flooding is rampant in certain spots. Flood insurance is a must in pretty much any area.  Oh, and it's hot from May to November, and even when it's not, it's humid (which makes it seem even colder when it's cold).

We've lived here 23 years, and that's been 22 years too long.

Contributor

@dreamhomenj wrote:

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

I want to move to Arizona from Illinois when I retire in less than 2 years...I am moving because they have a lot of sun and warm weather...I'm tired of the cold...

Periodic Contributor

Do you have any idea where in Arizona?  I live in the Southern area (think Tombstone). the Northern area is beautiful too, cooler climates, snow, more evergreen.  Phoenix (central) can be unbearbly hot in summer.  Ive been here since 2008 this time but lived here (military) 3 other times in my life.  I'm in same situation like you under 2 years.  Originally from Indiana, I'm heading to Tennessee for cooler temps, like you are for hotter temps.

Regular Contributor

Property taxes and sales tax in IL are near the highest in the nation and going up, if they’re not the highest.  I live in a starter home in an area that hasn’t recovered as well economically as most others and for a small property I’m paying $5,600/year in real estate taxes.  People who live in areas that have recovered faster can pay up to $14,000 a year in real estate taxes - over a thousand dollars a month.  That’s a huge chunk of most retirees’ Budget.

Regular Contributor

@Candy3954 wrote:

Property taxes and sales tax in IL are near the highest in the nation and going up, if they’re not the highest.  I live in a starter home in an area that hasn’t recovered as well economically as most others and for a small property I’m paying $5,600/year in real estate taxes.  People who live in areas that have recovered faster can pay up to $14,000 a year in real estate taxes - over a thousand dollars a month.  That’s a huge chunk of most retirees’ Budget.

That would be huge chunk of anyone regular working persons budget. Brtween that and Property Insurance it would be almost impossible to own a home.

Regular Contributor

House is paid for. Looking to retire in about 7 months. Would like to work part time at an Apple store. Do not want to stay in Illinois, however, as taxes are killing me. Looking for place with international airport, excellent healthcare, education opportunities, arts, education, recreation, friendly town, walkable, that I can afford.  Can be overseas.  In the meantime, I'll stay put and work on that Apple job while I decompress from this one. 

Periodic Contributor

I would suggest looking into southern Europe - Southern Spain, Portugal, etc.  All these places have great healthcase, transportation, and are very affordable.  They can be hot in the summer but we plan to go here for winters (can't stand winters anymore) and you can get great apartment deals on Airbnb like place renting more than a month.

Sadly, we still have another 7-8 years to retire and hoping we're in good health to be able to travel and enjoy.

Best of luck to all of you!

P.S.  we visited Spain in Feb, going back in two days - food rocks and cheap.

Contributor

My wife and I plan out of retiring to Florida's Palm Coast where we plan on volunteer our time with our religious organization there.

Regular Contributor

With 4 years until my husbandf retires , we are planning now of where to live. Currently we live in NE PA which is a tax friendly state for retirees however we are looking for less hustle and bustle. I was considering NC but read it isn't tax friendly. So now we are considering southern VA. We ant 4 seasons but a more less snow than here. It is such a major decsion and there is so much to research. 

Contributor

I'd love to retire in Tennessee. We've vacationed in Tennessee and loved the Smokey Mountains, no state income tax and low costs for housing compared to Maryland. 

Periodic Contributor

We retired a couple of years ago. We sold our house in Winnetka, Il and purchased a smaller home near downtown Fort Lauderdale. We love being near the beach and a short distance to restaurants and shops. When it gets really hot in the summer we escape to Chicago to spend time with our adult children

Contributor

We would love to retire somewhere like the Villages in Florida, but they're too expensive and Florida is too hot. 

We aren't golfers but love the idea of the golf cart community with grocers, shopping, Drs, dentists, movies all nearby and a community center where you can play games, swim, etc. 

Anyone know of these in a more temperate climate? Fishing nearby would be a huge plus!

Contributor

Murray, KY

Regular Contributor

I'm really thinking of somewhere with the college triangle in North Carolina.

NC is a conservative state, but the college triangle is liberal.

There is one not for profit senior community there that looks especially interesting--question is, but can I afford it?

Contributor

Right where I am now, in the foothills of NC.  Enjoy all 4 seasons, the mountains are great for a day trip.  Lots of parks, libraries, and festivals.  The ocean is 4 hours away.  I like to visit, but I am home now.  Can't wait to wake up to the birds songs with no alarm, and find my joy each day in retirement.

Regular Contributor

Murray is a fantastic town!  I'm from there and I really miss it.  It's only drawback (for me at least) is that there are no bookstores (other than a religious one and the one at the university).

Periodic Contributor

Tennessee has some good places, lots of fishing. Also the Carolinas. Not into fishing or golf, but I know lots of friends who went to Tennessee to retire. 

Periodic Contributor

I thought it was going to be where I'm at now, Arizona but life events changed my mind so now I'm going to Tennessee in less than 2 years.  Looking at Knoxville are along the Smokies. Being retired military and soon to be retired federal government employee, Tennessee is tax friendly and just a beautiful State. I can be near water and mountains as well as trees and greenery.  Any advice?

Regular Contributor

Be aware that Tennessee taxes EVERYTHING, fromgroceries to clothing. It's a hefty one too.

I'd check into some of the smaller towns near Knoxville (Knoxville traffic is crazy!).  

Strawberry Plains is a nice suburb quite close.

Periodic Contributor

I'm confused about your Taxes everything statement.  The information I received does speak about sales tax Thats the consumables you mention(most states do)  Where I am in Arizona, its 9%. Property tax too but here too.  

But wjhen I see:

No State tax

IRAs, 401a, private and public pension Not taxed

Tennessee gives tax break on property tax for 65, disabled, veterans (me). 

If you are only talking sales tax.....I can accept that

Periodic Contributor

I knew about sales tax but my retirement money was not as bad as where I'm at and other states. I have a 9% here on sales tax so use to it. Thanks about recommendation as I had been looking at oakridge area. I'll look at strawberry plains.

Periodic Contributor

We are looking to move from CT to New Hampshire -- no state income tax on retirement income, NO sales tax.  While you pay property tax (around $6K/year on a small/med home), it's still considerably lower than what people have posted for other states.  At 6K per year for property tax, no state income tax or sales tax, I see us being ahead by about 10K per annum.

Contributor

Check out the Tri-Cities - Johnson City/Kingsport/Bristol, TN - close enough to VA to save (alot) on sales tax only 1-1/2 hours to Knoxville or Gatlinburg or Asheville or Roanoke; 6 hours to Charleston SC and the ocean/6 hours to Wash.DC.  Good medical/King University/ETSU/good community college.  Barter Theater/ Good festivals/NASCAR

Periodic Contributor

Thank you, this is great getting all this input. Being close to VA is important. I have a variety of interests so it all sounds great. 

Contributor

I would love to live in the poorest town along the Apachanian Trail in the mountains.

Regular Contributor

You might want to check out our community, On Top Of The World in Ocala, Florida. We have about all that you are looking for. We're here almost two years and love it here.....
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP